Player Watch #39: Nathan Drummond

Apr 26, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Actually, as Drummond was named at Half Back, he cannot start as a substitute. From my understanding, a substitute can only be named from the one of 4 players listed on the interchange.
Sub can be any 1 of the 22 named, although the vast majority of them come from the 4 on the interchange so it certainly increases Drummond's chances of starting

Jan 13, 2005
The Hospital
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Golden State, Daniel Rioli
Where do you get that from. I can check as My Mum is very good friends with his grandmother who by the way is very excited.

On Nathan Drummond’s maternal side, his great, great-grandfather, William Cooper, was a highly-respected Aboriginal leader.

Cooper was one of Australia’s earliest Aboriginal rights’ activists. He was founder of the Australian Aborigines League, and travelled throughout the nation, organising petitions that were aimed at convincing authorities to improve the lives of Aboriginals.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2014-12-02/new-tigers-proud-heritage

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Miami Heat, Old Easts
Heart breaking for the kid last night. After seeing the incident with Nathan Jones I could just feel he was in dire trouble.

You never want to see ACL's happen, there are a damned injury, but you especially don't want to see young talent cut down by them.

There's been too many of these over recent years and happening to talented younger players, even repeat injuries to players like Dan Menzel, Morabito, Alex Johnson, Clay Smith and thats just a few of them.

From this years draft crop we've already had Petracca and now Drummond. Damn you ACL injuries, not the kind of injury that you can blame on bad injury management either. In Drummond's case a freak accident almost from landing awkwardly.

Wish you all the best for your recovery Nathan

ilikepotatoes

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Pistons, Glory
Hope the kid is ok. Nobody wants to see that happen to anyone. Is their word as to the extent of the injury yet? It looked a lot worse than an ACL injury to me, but hopefully it's not.

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I like this kid. He has the makings of a very good small defender- speed, strength, good overhead and can rebound.
Play him down back next year allowing Houli to push up to the wing.

Hot tigers

All Australian
Nov 5, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
I like this kid. He has the makings of a very good small defender- speed, strength, good overhead and can rebound.
Play him down back next year allowing Houli to push up to the wing.

Yes great to see him back, terrible thing to happen on debut!

Isn't the knock on him his kicking & disposal?

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Yes great to see him back, terrible thing to happen on debut!

Isn't the knock on him his kicking & disposal?
His kicking scores in the draft combine were excellent- Top 6 in kicking and goal kicking test.
I'm not sure what his kicking efficiency was in VFL and with the Bushrangers.
Incidentally HT he was in the top 6 for the beep test and 3 km trial run and run 2.93 for the 20 m sprint.

Stylo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
His kicking scores in the draft combine were excellent- Top 6 in kicking and goal kicking test.
I'm not sure what his kicking efficiency was in VFL and with the Bushrangers.
Incidentally HT he was in the top 6 for the beep test and 3 km trial run and run 2.93 for the 20 m sprint.

Kicking is very inconsistent. Had a game last year where he had something like 10% efficiency haha. Should tidy it up though, seems like the type who would learn to operate within his limitations.

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Kicking is very inconsistent. Had a game last year where he had something like 10% efficiency haha. Should tidy it up though, seems like the type who would learn to operate within his limitations.
I did read/hear that his kicking under pressure can be a bit hit and miss. Maybe it's his decision making more than a technique thing.
Lots of players take easy options such as kicking across the ground to unmarked players, maybe takes it on a bit too much.

I really thought we had someone with great potential when we picked Nathan up. I still believe he could be very good. Hope the injury doesn't set him back too far. But he has a great attitude so he will develop well I think.....

This kid is a gem. Always been a favourite of mine, and having spoken to him at the cocktail night earlier this year, I am more than happy to have him on the list.

Just a very dedicated person on and off the field. Said the best thing for him and his career was getting passed over in the 2013 draft, as it made him hungrier and more determined to make it as an AFL footballer. Says he also does a lot of work in his time of and was also looking at going to see professionals such as dieticians and stuff on his time off from the club. Said he doesn't want to waste a single minute of his free time, when he could be using it to get better.

As soon as he said that, I knew we had a keeper.

Aug 30, 2011
kensington
AFL Club
Richmond
This kid is a gem. Always been a favourite of mine, and having spoken to him at the cocktail night earlier this year, I am more than happy to have him on the list.

Just a very dedicated person on and off the field. Said the best thing for him and his career was getting passed over in the 2013 draft, as it made him hungrier and more determined to make it as an AFL footballer. Says he also does a lot of work in his time of and was also looking at going to see professionals such as dieticians and stuff on his time off from the club. Said he doesn't want to waste a single minute of his free time, when he could be using it to get better.

As soon as he said that, I knew we had a keeper.
Wtf? Do we not have a dietician at the club? I would of thought we would have one on staff.

Back