#3 - Riley Knight

Remove this Banner Ad

Has he played any league games yet?

Not that I can find. He's listed on Sportingpulse as having played six U18 games this year but nothing else is listed. Presumably he played more than that?

Made the bests 5 times in those 6 games for what it's worth.

Edit: Perhaps impressively, he came in 8th overall for the McKallum Tomkins trophy (effectively Brownlow medal for the U18s) despite only playing six games.

Not that I can find. He's listed on Sportingpulse as having played six U18 games this year but nothing else is listed. Presumably he played more than that?

Made the bests 5 times in those 6 games for what it's worth.

Edit: Perhaps impressively, he came in 8th overall for the McKallum Tomkins trophy (effectively Brownlow medal for the U18s) despite only playing six games.

Country kid, could mean he was a private school border and he was required to play private school footy.

Great selection

One of the fittest players in the draft, elite inside and loves it in the outside where he can use his speed and elite endurance and is very damaging at HF

Like Crouch, loves a contest and is a tackling machine

This is a very good pick. Really clever player and can kick a goal. Good pace will give us some outside run but can also play inside-outside midfield role.

He is no Joyce and vanilla player this boy.

Very good selection.

I know Riley and have watched him for a couple of years.
To give you an idea of what he is like - he is the most professional and determined footballer you would meet. He will put 100% in to everything.
He plays like that on the ground as well. Fierce competitor, he refuses to be beaten. He is incredibly fit and would have been top 3 in beep test had he been fit to test. He has speed (burst type) and can play inside (very good clearance player) and outside - played a high forward flank role for State U18 team. He is also one of the most fierce tacklers you will see.
He played limited matches with the Eagles U18's as he was playing in the State team, is a boarder at St. Peter's College and had a knee injury (cartlidge).
To give you an idea of Riley's character - Riley was told to have the knee operation in the lead up to the St. Peter's V PAC match at the end of the school season (a BIG match). On the Tuesday night it looked like he wouldn't play.
Riley chose to delay the operation a week and played the match. He was outstanding, kicked the match sealer and with Mitch Harvey (now at Port) led Saints to a shock win.

I'm absolutely thrilled Riley is at the Crows. In terms of who he plays most like? I would say Rory Sloane - gut runner and refuses to be beaten one on one.

Hope that helps!

Has anyone seen him play?

Many times.

Is a good pick at 46 though we do have a few similar types, Laird the closest comparison but not fussed by having another of him. Also similar to Matty Wright.

Ranked at 35 on my overall list, he's a neat, compact and 'active' footballer. Always moving, always running to space, never standing still. Reads ball off ruck contests very well, gets a lot of the pill and always attacks. Sound kick off both feet but not a long kick. Def not a one-sided midfielder. Clean hands, very strong overhead for his height, will more often than not beat taller opponents in a marking contest with Porps like marks. Has good pace, but not super quick. Disposal skills ok, not outstanding but weights kicks well. They can take a little time travelling through the air but with coaching he will learn to punch them a bit better. Will kick goals, and loves to kick them as well. Is a leader, and has good onfield voice. Could play AFL next year but probably will start in the SANFL. Expect a rapid progression through the SANFL ranks.

To give you an idea of what he is like - he is the most professional and determined footballer you would meet. He will put 100% in to everything.
He plays like that on the ground as well. Fierce competitor, he refuses to be beaten. He is incredibly fit and would have been top 3 in beep test had he been fit to test. He has speed (burst type) and can play inside (very good clearance player) and outside - played a high forward flank role for State U18 team. He is also one of the most fierce tacklers you will see.
He played limited matches with the Eagles U18's as he was playing in the State team, is a boarder at St. Peter's College and had a knee injury (cartlidge).
To give you an idea of Riley's character - Riley was told to have the knee operation in the lead up to the St. Peter's V PAC match at the end of the school season (a BIG match). On the Tuesday night it looked like he wouldn't play.
Riley chose to delay the operation a week and played the match. He was outstanding, kicked the match sealer and with Mitch Harvey (now at Port) led Saints to a shock win.

I'm absolutely thrilled Riley is at the Crows. In terms of who he plays most like? I would say Rory Sloane - gut runner and refuses to be beaten one on one.

Hope that helps!
Great insight - thanks

Loved your write-up overall DJ. Many thanks!! :thumbsu:

If he's 70% as good as the player he's most like he'll be a damn good player.

Sounds like a good pick up. Im on board anyways, lets see him develop.

He plays like that on the ground as well. Fierce competitor, he refuses to be beaten.

This is very encouraging to hear, always better to have blokes with this mindset at your club than nuffies who think their talent alone will win them 3 brownlows in a row.

Looks like it's up to the coaches to work their magic :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope that helps!

Appreciate the post, mate :thumbsu: As I was reading through it, before I got to the bottom, I was thinking "that sounds like Rory Sloane!" And boy, could we use another one of those!

My theory is that if you have enough talent to get drafted, and you have the attitude to put in 100% over the long journey, then injury permitting you can't really fail to play AFL footy. It's why I was so hot on Sloane early on. Young men that driven and focused, with a decent amount of talent, won't fail to impact at AFL level. They simply won't.

Many times.

Is a good pick at 46 though we do have a few similar types, Laird the closest comparison but not fussed by having another of him. Also similar to Matty Wright.

Ranked at 35 on my overall list, he's a neat, compact and 'active' footballer. Always moving, always running to space, never standing still. Reads ball off ruck contests very well, gets a lot of the pill and always attacks. Sound kick off both feet but not a long kick. Def not a one-sided midfielder. Clean hands, very strong overhead for his height, will more often than not beat taller opponents in a marking contest with Porps like marks. Has good pace, but not super quick. Disposal skills ok, not outstanding but weights kicks well. They can take a little time travelling through the air but with coaching he will learn to punch them a bit better. Will kick goals, and loves to kick them as well. Is a leader, and has good onfield voice. Could play AFL next year but probably will start in the SANFL. Expect a rapid progression through the SANFL ranks.

Agree 100% with what you have said. Will start in our SANFL team but expect to progress quickly.
I said he was like Sloane - lets not get too excited though - he isn't as good as Sloane - yet!

Appreciate the post, mate :thumbsu: As I was reading through it, before I got to the bottom, I was thinking "that sounds like Rory Sloane!" And boy, could we use another one of those!

My theory is that if you have enough talent to get drafted, and you have the attitude to put in 100% over the long journey, then injury permitting you can't really fail to play AFL footy. It's why I was so hot on Sloane early on. Young men that driven and focused, with a decent amount of talent, won't fail to impact at AFL level. They simply won't.

Attitude is everything. You can teach players the skills they need you can improve on existing skills but attitude is something you either have or you don't. This lad sounds like he has the right attitude to succeed.

This draft has had a few surprises in it, with this been one. I would have taken Battersby at this pick, but no one took him. He would have been a deff to be drafted but missed. Wonder what was going on with him. In a draft that most consider lowish on talent someone like James should get a team. If he and Dacy are there on our rookie picks we should grab them.
Im not sold on Riley but hopefully the kid kicks on. Sounds a little like Rory Atkins?

This draft has had a few surprises in it, with this been one. I would have taken Battersby at this pick, but no one took him. He would have been a deff to be drafted but missed. Wonder what was going on with him. In a draft that most consider lowish on talent someone like James should get a team. If he and Dacy are there on our rookie picks we should grab them.
Im not sold on Riley but hopefully the kid kicks on. Sounds a little like Rory Atkins?

More of a midfielder than Atkins. Also more determined, fitter stronger and better footy brain.

Spoke to Riley. You will not find a happier kid. He can't wait to get to training.
And do you think he was excited getting phone calls from Sando and Dangerfield? :)

I would be too!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back