3km time trial

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd say he could finish but either didn't finish in the required time or just gave up. As a Melbourne supporter, this doesn't surprise me he is full of talent but just doesn't want it badly enough, he has cruised through a 12 year career on the back of potential.

As for times of 3km time trial, most AFL mids should be around the 10:30 mark, for local players around 11;00 is very good going.
I'd think afl mids would be sub 10, big boy McEvoy is around the 9:10

McEvoy, 9;10 really?

I should of clarified, 10;30 is probably the upper end of where an AFL mid should be at, but yes most mids would be around 9;30-10.

But always exception to the rule, i have never heard of Dane Swan's 3km time, but he/was one of best burst runners of recent times. He might not be one of the best 3km runners but was one of best 3-4 min burst runners.

Absolutely false.

Fastest in the League is Blicavs at sub 9. Next is Kane Cornes at 9:12 of players that regularly play seniors. I'll eat my hat if he has ever or could ever run 9:10.

This comes from a fitness/gps tracking facebook group listing 2k time trials results. So take it for what it's worth.

5:30 - 6:00 min = Super Elite Athlete (Issac Smith/Mark Blicavs/Ed Curnow)

6:01 - 6:15 min = Elite AFL Player (Billy Hartung/Sam Gibson/Bradley Hill/Johnny Rayner/Patrick Ambrose/Tom Scully)

6:16 - 6:30 min = Slightly Better than average AFL Standard (Jamie Macmillan/Dan Hannebury/Ben McEvoy/Liam Shiels)

6:31 - 6:45 min = Average to Slow Standard (45% of AFL players are in this bracket)

6:46 - 7:10 min = Had a big festive season or is a Key Position player

8:13 min = Worst Performance Ever (Murray Newman 2012)

Issac Smith, Mark Blicavs, Ed Curnow are all super Elite runners.

Billy Hartung is exceptional for his age and will be very competitive with the above in the coming future.

Ben McEvoy has elite endurance pushing the much smaller and whippier midfielders.

So if you want to meet AFL standard over 5km, you'd be aiming for 16-18 minutes considering you probably can't flat sprint 5000 meters, whereas they can probably flat spring 2000 meters.

Some of those 2km times are insane.. But I also know for a fact that many guys are around the 7min mark, running 2 x 3 min kms is basically sprinting. If you want to give it a crack, go to the gym and throw your tready onto about 18kph on +0.5 incline and see how long you last, it's crazy stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm actually of the opinion that as a whole footballers aren't strong aerobic athletes, and it seems Darren Burgess shares that opinion!

I'm actually of the opinion that as a whole footballers aren't strong aerobic athletes, and it seems Darren Burgess shares that opinion!

Compared to world class aerobic athletes ? Probably not.

But how many of them can do body weight bench press , double body weight dead lifts and 1.5bw squats...

Not for an AFL player I wouldn't have thought. I play in the lowest grade of the amateurs and a number of us can do a 1km in that time.

Its still quick, difference being a lot of suburban footballers can run 3min kms, but try doing it again and again and again, which simulates the type of burst running that is so common in AFL these days. For mine, a true sign of fitness is how quickly you recover to go again.

Howdy fellas,

My young bloke is training at Oakleigh Chargers at the moment and trying to make the final squad.

They have a 3km time trial coming up in about 3 or 4 weeks. What would be the best way for him to train over the next few weeks to get his time down? He currently does it in in 13.5m so if we couild get it into the 12s by then that would be a good result.

Should he run 3kms every day, every second day? Would doing 5kms help?

All advise appreciated.

a loaded question Evo but I'll give it a crack...

1 - How does he feel when running his 13.5? does he start hard and finish slow? does he have bursts of running alternated with bursts of slow running?
2 - What's his resting heart rate?
3 - Does he take any heart variability readings?
4 - How is his recovery from reaching his heart rate max every minute post? so how fast does his heart rate drop after intensive efforts?

These answers can give a bit of insight into what sort of athlete he is but generally you want a low heart rate and then actually use your aerobic system so you do as much work at a lower intensity as you can

i made up a program that resulted in a 30sec better run over 2.4kms last season in 4 weeks so he probably could vet to that time in a month

Howdy fellas,

My young bloke is training at Oakleigh Chargers at the moment and trying to make the final squad.

They have a 3km time trial coming up in about 3 or 4 weeks. What would be the best way for him to train over the next few weeks to get his time down? He currently does it in in 13.5m so if we couild get it into the 12s by then that would be a good result.

Should he run 3kms every day, every second day? Would doing 5kms help?

All advise appreciated.
speeeed work. the best way to get faster is to run faster
so maybe a couple (or more) interval sessions along with a 3k tempo and a longer easier run. its how you structure the interval sessions that will be important (and i have no idea what the best way to go about it is)

baring in mind that im a very slow runner....for me a 3 min kilometre is fast.

EDIT: im also a terrible speller

Last edited:
Am not an expert, but would agree with the interval approach.
Would alternate run day / rest day. The first link below has a good table on page showing some good workout structuring, for example. I run more distance, but throw in 6km runs with 1 km warm-up, 4km 2min:1min hard/ easy ratio, 1km warm-down and stretch, run around 6:45 2km, 10:45 3km. Good luck to your young bloke

http://www.lochnessmarathon.com/wp-...Little-Speedwork-Goes-A-Long-Way-May-2014.pdf

http://www.endurancetraining.com.au/Articles/4 Day Week.pdf

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back