3km time trial

Remove this Banner Ad

a loaded question Evo but I'll give it a crack...

1 - How does he feel when running his 13.5? does he start hard and finish slow? does he have bursts of running alternated with bursts of slow running?
2 - What's his resting heart rate?
3 - Does he take any heart variability readings?
4 - How is his recovery from reaching his heart rate max every minute post? so how fast does his heart rate drop after intensive efforts?

These answers can give a bit of insight into what sort of athlete he is but generally you want a low heart rate and then actually use your aerobic system so you do as much work at a lower intensity as you can

i made up a program that resulted in a 30sec better run over 2.4kms last season in 4 weeks so he probably could vet to that time in a month
-slow starter, seems to build up during the run and he finishes pretty fast, which makes me think he can improve quite a bit.

-He's a good sprinter - under 3secs for 20m

- I don't know much about his heart rate, he seems to recover ok

Jack Newnes ran 6.09 for 2km this year already.

I remember reading there were a few AFL players including Newnes and Sidebottom who were running 6.0s or even sub 6s in preaseason last year.

I.Smith and Blicavs would be the elite of the elite, theyd be the best 2 in the AFL

Brad Hill, Ambrose would also go very well.

The new 3km afl draft record set this year was 9.15 for 3km.

The new 3km afl draft record set this year was 9.15 for 3km.
That is insane.
Military fitness testing I used to do had a 13.45 second requirement for 3.2kms and we'd have a few that would fail the first go (granted the strength testing was conducted immediately before it)

-slow starter, seems to build up during the run and he finishes pretty fast, which makes me think he can improve quite a bit.

-He's a good sprinter - under 3secs for 20m

- I don't know much about his heart rate, he seems to recover ok

i'd get him a heart rate monitor and work by specific heart rates, in particular finding his lactate threshold and working just below it so he takes longer to "blow up" and i'd also use a fair bit of basic steady state activity at 60 - 65% of his heart rate max...suggestions above focus on exhaustion which isn't the point of this, he wants to teach his body not to work so hard but rather do more work at a lesser effort so when he needs to finish hard he still can but he'll have covered a greater distance prior to that - make sense?

also get home to take his resting heart rate as soon as he wakes up tomorrow morning, still lying in bed...take it for 10secs and times it by 6...below 60 is a minimum and high 40's/low 50's is a pretty decent score without dedicating your life to it

i'd get him a heart rate monitor and work by specific heart rates, in particular finding his lactate threshold and working just below it so he takes longer to "blow up" and i'd also use a fair bit of basic steady state activity at 60 - 65% of his heart rate max...suggestions above focus on exhaustion which isn't the point of this, he wants to teach his body not to work so hard but rather do more work at a lesser effort so when he needs to finish hard he still can but he'll have covered a greater distance prior to that - make sense?

also get home to take his resting heart rate as soon as he wakes up tomorrow morning, still lying in bed...take it for 10secs and times it by 6...below 60 is a minimum and high 40's/low 50's is a pretty decent score without dedicating your life to it

Whats the best value for money, heart rate you can get get thats the most accurate?

Dunno about the watch accuracy but it couldn't be too far off if it isn't right I mean they must if tested it a million different ways...I'm looking into some heart rate monitors for my netball team I train and might go the fit bit/watch option

i'd get him a heart rate monitor and work by specific heart rates, in particular finding his lactate threshold

Out of interest, how exactly do you hone in on this?

They introduced the concept in uni this semester but haven't gone into specifics on how to measure it yet.

It's not a perfect w ience but it'll be around the 170bpm mark...it's the point that you are on cruise control but you push a little more and you start to tire and get fatigue build up and thus slow down...so you train just below this lactate threshold in the hope that you can increase the time it takes to build lactate at a certain % of effort...for memory you can do a 6min run and take your hr each minute then get the average and that'll be pretty close

Dunno about the watch accuracy but it couldn't be too far off if it isn't right I mean they must if tested it a million different ways...I'm looking into some heart rate monitors for my netball team I train and might go the fit bit/watch option

In the case of training the netball team what would you be looking at using the HR monitors for?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His resting heart rate is low 50s

good enough - i'd have him do some threshold training with a heart rate monitor i mentioned somewhere above

test - 6min run taking heart rate every 1min during it then get the average

train at or 5 - 10 beats below this average for 3 - 5mins at a time doing 3 - 5 sets per session

could do 2/week i'd suppose along with some aerobic capacity work and possibly some high resistance intervals but i don't know how much "free' time he has to train on his own nor what he has to do at a club level

good enough - i'd have him do some threshold training with a heart rate monitor i mentioned somewhere above

test - 6min run taking heart rate every 1min during it then get the average

train at or 5 - 10 beats below this average for 3 - 5mins at a time doing 3 - 5 sets per session

could do 2/week i'd suppose along with some aerobic capacity work and possibly some high resistance intervals but i don't know how much "free' time he has to train on his own nor what he has to do at a club level
he's training 3 nights a week with them - it's pretty intensive. They told him not to do any additional cardio, but he needs to improve over the next 4 weeks

thought that might be the case...it's a bit s**t isn't it - you need to improve but only doing what we say - that isn't really geared towards individual improvement...any idea what they're doing? the threshold stuff won't take too much out of him as the point of it is to avoid building up fatigue

thought that might be the case...it's a bit s**t isn't it - you need to improve but only doing what we say - that isn't really geared towards individual improvement...any idea what they're doing? the threshold stuff won't take too much out of him as the point of it is to avoid building up fatigue
i've been to a few Richmond trainings, the training intensity at Oakleigh is pretty similar, considering their fitness levels.. You get the odd munt.

part of the session is 2 * 1500m run and a few 200m sprints

They do some boxing, MMA type training as well during the session.

i've done a few murray bushranger sessions (know the s&c dude there) and it seems similar to their set up which isn't optimal as they have 75 - 100 kids at early stages of pre-season

if he has a space of 72hrs between sessions , i'm assuming he does mon/wed/sat or something similar then he could do a threshold session smack bang in the middle of those rest days which could be done on an exercise bike or x trainer to stay off the legs

if he's really keen then he could do another 1 near the end of the week too maybe 12 - 18hrs post last training session but hopefully 12 - 18hrs pre next training session so taking my weekly set up above you could:

mon - training 5pm
tue - threshold 5pm
wed - training 5pm
thu -
fri - threshold in am
sat - training 5pm
sun -

like i said it should build up fatigue if it's done properly, not anything that will effect the next too much if at all

That is insane.
Military fitness testing I used to do had a 13.45 second requirement for 3.2kms and we'd have a few that would fail the first go (granted the strength testing was conducted immediately before it)

The draft camp time trial record is usually set by some rake who is barely 70kg soaking wet, or whose only real "weapon" as a footballer is their running ability. You probably wouldn't find too many at club level beating it, even with multiple pre-seasons in them, because they've actually developed sport-specific size and athleticism, and grown into their bodies.

it's sounds like he hits his threshold which is what i prescribed above so hopefully n the end he can continue at that pace but without the heavy legs, or at least prolong it

he probably use some of the Be Activated stuff I talk about here as he's compensating through his legs when fatigue sets in:

http://aussierulestraining.blogspot.com.au/2015/09/footy-concepts-you-have-to-know-about.html
they timed them at training and he ran it in 13 even today so he has already improved quite a bit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back