3rd man up in a ruck contest

Remove this Banner Ad

Blended

Team Captain
Jul 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
This is a bit of a query. With the AFL recently bringing in the 1m gap rule in ruck contests which requires umpires to identify 2 ruckmen, why are they consistently paying freekicks for blocking a 3rd man up? Surely you should be able to block the run of the 3rd person coming into the ruck contest..

You're welcome to compete with the third man up, however if you impede him with no eyes for the ball then you'll be pinged, just as you would someone who has decide not to go third up.

Pretty simple, really.

I'm even more confused. Chaplin had eyes for the ball that contest and it was still paid... Its a joke that it is paid a free kick!

Wayne Campbell (umpiring director) was just on C7 and agreed, he said Shaun Ryan made a mistake on that one.
Looked to me like the umpire thought (wrongly) that Nic was the nominated ruckman trying to get to the contest... Was an error but don't actually think it related to whole 'third man up' issue currently being discussed.

This is a bit of a query. With the AFL recently bringing in the 1m gap rule in ruck contests which requires umpires to identify 2 ruckmen, why are they consistently paying freekicks for blocking a 3rd man up? Surely you should be able to block the run of the 3rd person coming into the ruck contest..

Geelong got pinged for this tonight. What rule is being broken?

My ex-wife, when we were still together, often asked me to take care of the third man up. I guess old habits die hard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anybody know the rule that Sandilands is breaking when he has free kicks paid against him for blocking or sheparding in centre bounces? He's not sheparding a 'third man' and ruck men come together all the time in ruck contests. Is there a rule about crossing the centreline, similar to a foot fault on tennis?

Does anybody know the rule that Sandilands is breaking when he has free kicks paid against him for blocking or sheparding in centre bounces? He's not sheparding a 'third man' and ruck men come together all the time in ruck contests. Is there a rule about crossing the centreline, similar to a foot fault on tennis?
NFI, in theory should be in section 15.4.5 of the laws but I can't find it anywhere. The umpires are calling it to stop ruckmen impeding the opposition ruck from contesting the ball. Initially pioneered by Mark Jamar where he would jump, push or move into the opposition ruck and then contest the ball after successfully blocking the player.

The two main problems with the current implementation of blocking, is that the ball isn't always up straight, and around the ground, the main ruck' only job is to stop his opponent reaching the ball

You cannot cross the (imaginary or centre-bounce) centre-line, AND interfere with the opponent's run at the ball. However, the current interpretations mean that if the ball goes on an angle and drops behind you, you also cannot stand your ground and block your opponent, which I think is wrong.

Similarly, around the ground, you can grapple and hold your opponent down, so long as the ball falls "on top" of you. Then, whilst you are holding your opponent down, your team-mate goes third-man up to clear.

The issues isn't the third man up - it's the non-payment of holding/grappling frees in the contest. I don't want basketball tip-off's either, but the ruck should be a battle of body strength and positioning, not just grabbing an arm or fistful of jumper and wrestling.

Like 99% of problems in the game - just penalise EVERY infringement.

NFI, in theory should be in section 15.4.5 of the laws but I can't find it anywhere. The umpires are calling it to stop ruckmen impeding the opposition ruck from contesting the ball. Initially pioneered by Mark Jamar where he would jump, push or move into the opposition ruck and then contest the ball after successfully blocking the player.
I can't claim to watching a lot of footy, but Sandilands is the only ruck I've seen penalised like this at a centre bounce and it's happened a few times recently. One of your rucks got a free for this on the weekend.
The jumping was started by Poly Farmer? Hailed as a ruck revolution.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back