Retired # 4: Jobe Watson - Now coach at Xavier College 28/11

Remove this Banner Ad

My theory next year is if essendon can win enough games jobe watson can charlie again. He polls very well when we win has to play at least 18 games though

I actually think Jobe Watson will be a big force up forward this year and his presence in the midfield will begin to lessen. Reckon he could do very well in that role. Plus i never really liked him and Heppell together in the midfield. Its just too bloody slow.

I actually think Jobe Watson will be a big force up forward this year and his presence in the midfield will begin to lessen. Reckon he could do very well in that role. Plus i never really liked him and Heppell together in the midfield. Its just too bloody slow.

agree with this and really hope Worsfold plays him forward and Hooker back. Hes the same height as some of other other forwards like Edwards & Laverde (190cm) and more than capable of taking a good contested grab and kicking a few bags of goals.
His experience and skill, especially when the ball hits the deck will help set up lots of goals I reckon...

Trouble is, Watson is a horrible shot for goal.

NEED TO PLAY HIM IN THE GUTS.

He's not that bad. He's gone at 60% average for the last 5 years with a couple of really accurate years. Don't think its a legitimate criticism given how bad the rest of our forward line is at kicking straight.

140vqeb.jpg

agree with this and really hope Worsfold plays him forward and Hooker back. Hes the same height as some of other other forwards like Edwards & Laverde (190cm) and more than capable of taking a good contested grab and kicking a few bags of goals.
His experience and skill, especially when the ball hits the deck will help set up lots of goals I reckon...

Will Watson be that good when the ball hits the deck after he's been involved in the marking contest? I'd say most medium defenders and many of the key defenders would be quicker at ground level than Jobe. If Jobe gets to the ball first, absolutely, but he has to get there first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd seriously look at playing him forward with stints in the midfield.

We need to wean the midfield off being dependant on him.
He's also a smart lead too. Seems to run to the correct positions better than our actual forwards.

Gaz has a weird ball drop. If he gets results, it doesn't matter.
Yep. He seems to have found something that helps him and has stuck with it. Always working on things to make him an even better player, lot's of players can learn from his preparations.

What about all the times his set shots don't make the distance or go out on the full?

Sure the stats don't include that but they don't include it for any other player either (scarcely any of whom have over 70% career average once you go beyond a certain number of goals which would obviously be reduced further by OOF's). I'm not saying he's the greatest goal kicker ever but he's respectable without being a dead eye. It might not even be unreasonable to suppose that if he practiced more goal kicking intending to play forward that he might even lift those averages (he's certainly had a couple of years where he was very accurate by anyone's standards).

Sure the stats don't include that but they don't include it for any other player either (scarcely any of whom have over 70% career average once you go beyond a certain number of goals which would obviously be reduced further by OOF's). I'm not saying he's the greatest goal kicker ever but he's respectable without being a dead eye. It might not even be unreasonable to suppose that if he practiced more goal kicking intending to play forward that he might even lift those averages (he's certainly had a couple of years where he was very accurate by anyone's standards).

He is just so important to us in the middle so I would much rather play him there. IMO he is a below than average shot at goal.

I wouldn't play jobe as a key forward - with his history of soft tissue problems, an explosive position is a disaster waiting to happen

I reckon Jobe is exactly the type of player Worsfold loves in his teams. Big bodied mid fielder. If Jobe gets back to his best, Dons are a finals chance. Heppell will be under far less pressure from tags. He will be the big improver.

I reckon Jobe is exactly the type of player Worsfold loves in his teams. Big bodied mid fielder. If Jobe gets back to his best, Dons are a finals chance. Heppell will be under far less pressure from tags. He will be the big improver.
Hepp will be under less pressure not just because of Jobe being back, but hopefully Myers and Hocking being fit oo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back