Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Well his role has changed bit, he's played pretty much excessively as a wingman since his famous self drop, not chopping and changing positions every week now. May he remain there, it clearly suits his game the best.

He has played as a wing before though, he is definently playing inside the contest a little more but I think it's been mostly a mindset change, he now believes he can influence every contest

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Best place for him. His skills are better suited to hitting targets in the 50 rather than trying to provide one. He's a half forward flanker or winger, so keep him there and see how long he can keep the form up.

Nope just his mindset
First time he has ever played with genuine belief

Every time he plays well it's 'the first time he's played with blah blah blah'.

He's played plenty of good footy before as well as plenty of bad and average footy.

It's four weeks, let's not put anything on him by declaring he's turned a corner.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Every time he plays well it's 'the first time he's played with blah blah blah'.

He's played plenty of good footy before as well as plenty of bad and average footy.

It's four weeks, let's not put anything on him by declaring he's turned a corner.

Ive never thought hes played that well before, I dont rate getting 16 outside disposals or a bunch of marks in the back half as the loose man
he is showing a confidence and calmness in traffic that he hasnt showed before, never proclaimed that he turned the corner but he has looked a much improved player in the last month and its impressed me more than any other part of his career

Ive never thought hes played that well before, I dont rate getting 16 outside disposals or a bunch of marks in the back half as the loose man
he is showing a confidence and calmness in traffic that he hasnt showed before, never proclaimed that he turned the corner but he has looked a much improved player in the last month and its impressed me more than any other part of his career

Good to hear - we'll have to agree to disagree though because I feel he's shown that before, probably in all of his past four seasons.

Probably not quite to the same extent as now, I'll give you that.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I will probably go down to das Poob to watch the game on Saturday so ready yourselves for him to turn the corner again, or to turn around and start walking in the other direction, or to turn many corners in quick succession and give us all vertigo.

I will probably go down to das Poob to watch the game on Saturday so ready yourselves for him to turn the corner again, or to turn around and start walking in the other direction, or to turn many corners in quick succession and give us all vertigo.

Hah, like this post perhaps?

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
It has been good to see Watts form of late. I've been thinking about how to describe his career on occassion and the best way I could come up with was to compare him to an apprentice tradie.
When he was drafted, his first boss taught him shortcuts. Also the peers in his class he was with skipped classes (training sessions) leading to a lazy demeanour and culture.
His second boss saw the laziness in the group and to whip them into shape would yell, scream and throw tools at them. Not only did it not teach him anything about his craft but it also robbed him of his confidence.
Finally, under Roos and co. he is now learning from a quality tradesmen. Five years of poor teaching is being undone, good habits are starting to form and we're starting to see quality workmanship from him.
His future finally looks bright.

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
It has been good to see Watts form of late. I've been thinking about how to describe his career on occassion and the best way I could come up with was to compare him to an apprentice tradie.
When he was drafted, his first boss taught him shortcuts. Also the peers in his class he was with skipped classes (training sessions) leading to a lazy demeanour and culture.
His second boss saw the laziness in the group and to whip them into shape would yell, scream and throw tools at them. Not only did it not teach him anything about his craft but it also robbed him of his confidence.
Finally, under Roos and co. he is now learning from a quality tradesmen. Five years of poor teaching is being undone, good habits are starting to form and we're starting to see quality workmanship from him.
His future finally looks bright.

That's a remarkably apt analogy!

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
You can blame coaches for the lack of confidence I guess. Hardness and effort less so.

Culture. For the first three years of his career lack of effort and hardness was the norm. The bruise free reputation didn't stem from Jack, it was team wide. Only the bare few exceptions were able to rise above. That's why the list turnover has been so deep the last couple of years. Jack has survived the cut and the realisation of what it takes to be a good AFL footballer appears to be dawning on him. I'm enjoying his improvement - long may it continue!

Jack Watts = Our barometer :hearts::hearts::hearts:
uOHQVob.png

Meds

Club Legend
Nov 12, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
uOHQVob.png
This is amazing.
Damian Barrett should take a look at this for his 'sliding doors' articles. Liam Shiels has won 84% of games in his career. If Hawthorn had passed on him and the Dees picked him up one selection later in the 2008 draft, he would have won only 19%. That's a massive difference!

Goodes winning 79% of 300+ games is phenomenal. It would be tough to find a player that has a greater win percentage across their career having played that many games.

This is amazing.
Goodes winning 79% of 300+ games is phenomenal. It would be tough to find a player that has a greater win percentage across their career having played that many games.

i think its from 2012 onwards only, sorry I should have specified that

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
uOHQVob.png

These things are pointless. Pretty much tells you which player had a well-timed injury or was dropped when his team were playing s**t or rebuilding.
ie Tom Bugg probably hasn't missed a game this year, but he missed patches in the previous seasons when GWS were getting pummeled. Jasper Pittard probably locked down his place in the side after Hinkley and the Port revival, Jimmy Bartel has missed a lot games this year when Geelong are on the downhill slope, etc etc etc.

These things are pointless. Pretty much tells you which player had a well-timed injury or was dropped when his team were playing s**t or rebuilding.
ie Tom Bugg probably hasn't missed a game this year, but he missed patches in the previous seasons when GWS were getting pummeled. Jasper Pittard probably locked down his place in the side after Hinkley and the Port revival, Jimmy Bartel has missed a lot games this year when Geelong are on the downhill slope, etc etc etc.

Mate, come to terms with it - Watts = wins.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Mate, come to terms with it - Watts = wins.

All part of his grand plan. Drop yourself against the good teams and put your hand up for selection against the bad ones!

"I am critical to this side - the statistics don't lie. The statistics never lie!"

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
It was like they always used to compare the win rates of Nathan Jones and Joel Selwood. Comparable players from the same draft yet the winning percentages were 100% to 0% more or less. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back