Past Bryce Gibbs

Remove this Banner Ad

But how often does that happen TG? I didn't actually see that game so I don't know how whether he played differently or not.

He is a powerful unit and he needs to start displaying that more often. I would back him in a one on one almost 100% of the time, that's why I want him in the midfield. Use his smarts, strength and field kicking and have him float back to defend taking marks and setting up play whilst following the play up and down the field.

I also want to see him kick more goals.

But how often does that happen TG? I didn't actually see that game so I don't know how whether he played differently or not.
It may have been more a function of Carlton not being able to pick a side apart once they flood back. We struggled to get it inside 50 past a wall of players and hit a target last year. Carlton looks great streaming down the field on a fast break and in space, but holding our nerve and hitting a target like the top sides is another area where we need to progress.

He is a powerful unit and he needs to start displaying that more often. I would back him in a one on one almost 100% of the time, that's why I want him in the midfield. Use his smarts, strength and field kicking and have him float back to defend taking marks and setting up play whilst following the play up and down the field.

I also want to see him kick more goals.

Can't see this atm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Young Carlton Blue Bryce Gibbs strong on the lead

"I was thrown in at the deep end at 17 at a time that all I wanted to do was earn the respect of my teammates. I certainly didn't see myself as a leader back then. But it was a great learning experience listening to a Lance Whitnall, Anthony Koutoufides or Matthew Lappin.

"I'm now at a stage where footy-wise I just about have my own back yard right, so it's a matter of finding the balance.

"I'm comfortable being able to have hard words with players out on the track or outside the club. In the past there have been times when I have been in my shell. Now I don't feel bad about having that hard conversation and trying to get the best out of them."

"As a junior I played midfield/half-forward and would love to hit the scoreboard more often. If you see me one-on-one in the goalsquare don't be too shocked," Gibbs said.

"We have to play better in harder times because when we are up and going we are pretty exciting."
Young Carlton Blue Bryce Gibbs strong on the lead

The Bryce is Right

Gibbs's output in 10 games this season has him in the top five at the club for disposals, kicks and uncontested possessions. He leads the club in marks with 76, ahead of Jarrad Waite and Heath Scotland. Last year, he finished fourth in best-and-fairest voting after finishing third in 2009.

''It's a good challenge for me and 'Ratts' throws me those challenges every now and then,'' he said yesterday.

''I love those one-on-one match-ups and having those run-with roles I can play to my strengths.''

''I've had a lot of roles over the journey so far and I'm sure there'll be a lot more to come.''

The Bryce is Right

[YOUTUBE]y_KaOWaoeiI[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_KaOWaoeiI

4 – Bryce Gibbs
2012 Pre-Season
"I think he's ready to take another big step in his football journey, you could say."- Brett Ratten on Bryce Gibbs
As has basically been the case since his arrival at the club in 2007, big expectations were placed on the shoulders of Bryce Gibbs prior to the 2012 season which was expected to be a big season for the Carlton Football Club as a whole. The left shoulder of Gibbs was much talked about in its own right, given that Gibbs injured it in the glorious 2011 Elimination Final triumph against Essendon, forcing Gibbs to meet the heartbreaking loss the following week. Despite the injury concern, Gibbs by all accounts dominated the pre-season in a similar fashion to Marc Murphy the year prior, naturally placing more expectation upon Gibbs, a member of the leadership group, in 2012. If Carlton were to take the next step in 2012, it would result from the improvement of their previous early draft picks, meaning Gibbs’ year had to be big for things to go right. These expectations were explicitly expressed by two of the clubs key figures, coach Brett Ratten and inspirational skipper Chris Judd: the pressure was on from the outset. This was off the back of a 2011 season where Gibbs seemed to hit his stride late on in the season, being deployed across half forward and midfield.

2012 Season
Due to the injuries in the pre-season to important defenders such as Michael Jamison and Nick Duigan, Gibbs found himself playing off a back flank in the opening stages of the season, despite his desire to have a role in the midfield. While he didn’t necessarily dominate any of the games he partook in, his contribution was vital to the Blues’ early success, averaging over 24 touches in his opening three games. This included 32 disposals in the victory over the arch enemy Collingwood in Round 3, a win which would result in Carlton rocketing to early premiership favouritism. However, that was as bright as the season got for the Blues, and the same could be said for Gibbs, with the Blues winning 3 of their next 10, and Gibbs’ impact being minimal.

Gibbs found himself in somewhat of a tagging role as the heat on both Gibbs and coach Brett Ratten escalated, given the Blues loss of form which was catalysed by what could be described as nothing more than an injury crisis. In Round 11, Gibbs went toe to toe with the mercurial Steve Johnson, restricting the Geelong star to 17 disposals and only one behind. However, Carlton fans- as had been the case multiple times in Bryce’s career- called for him to be thrust into the midfield, with the damaging Gibbs only having 11 disposals himself.

With the Blues’ injury crisis becoming greater, so was the expectation on Gibbs, prompting relatively unjustified claims for Gibbs to be dropped from the senior side. Whilst Gibbs was not having the greatest of years, especially given his potential, the injury crisis at the club meant Bryce had to continue to be out on the park, in the process solidifying his status as one of if not the biggest scapegoat amongst Blues supporters.

With the exceptions of the capitulations against North Melbourne and Gold Coast as well as the victory against the Bulldogs, Gibbs had 20 or more disposals in the last 11 weeks of the season, including a 33 disposal game against the Brisbane Lions. To sum up the disappointment for Gibbs in 2012, the game against the Lions was the only game where he received Brownlow votes for the entire season. Ultimately, the disappointing year for the Blues culminated in the sacking of club legend Brett Ratten, with Gibbs predictably used as another reason as to why Carlton didn’t make the finals in 2012, having promised so much early on.

In the end, Gibbs season on record in relation to disposals was his worst since 2008 (his 2nd year) and his worst since 2007 (his first) in relation to total disposals and contested possessions, averaging 21.9 and 5.9 a game respectively. Constant cries pertaining to Gibbs being ‘soft’, whilst seemingly being justified given these low numbers, can also be attributed to his positioning throughout the year, often across half back due to injury after injury.

2012 Stats
Disposals: 481 (average of 21.9 a game)
Kicks: 317 (ave. 14.4)
Handballs: 164 (ave 7.5)
Goals: 8 Behinds: 9
Tackles: 91 (ave 4.1)
Contested possessions: 129 (ave. 5.9, 26.8% of total disposals)
Disposal efficiency: 76.1%
Clearances: 32 (ave. 1.5)
Rebound 50s: 50 (ave 2.3)
Inside 50s: 48 (ave. 2.2)

Gibbs was on the ground 91.9% of the time (stats courtesy of AFL.com.au)

2013 Season and Expectations
"I'd like to think he's going to be playing in the middle”- Mick Malthouse on Bryce Gibbs

However, with the departure of Ratten came the appointment of Mick Malthouse, who immediately addressed the situation which Gibbs faced in his opening press conference. Having been questioned about Gibbs’ 2012 performances along with the question of Gibbs’ future at Carlton, regarding whether or not he could be used to lure Travis Cloke, Malthouse immediately backed his number 4, expressing Gibbs’ importance to the club and his vital role in the 2013 season.

Whilst Malthouse has claimed that his game plan will revolve around defence, a positive sign for those constantly criticising Gibbs’ usage as a tagger will be pleased that Malthouse won’t be using Gibbs as a tagger, more than likely opting for midfielders to go head to head. Although a move to the midfield will be welcomed by almost all Carlton fans, Malthouse has said that Gibbs will also be spending time in both defence and attack, spreading the load amongst his midfielders which are arguably the best group in the competition. This could see Gibbs also do something in 2013 which he didn’t do enough of in 2012: hitting the scoreboard. By all reports, Gibbs is having a pre-season similar to that of 2012: hopefully the results are considerably better, for both the team and the individual.

Link
Meanwhile, Blues forward Andrew Walker expects plenty of improvement out of supremely talented teammate Bryce Gibbs.

The pair were partnered together during the pre-season to learn from each other's skill sets.

The high-flying forward is looking to improve on his delivery by foot while Gibbs is hoping to work on his endurance.

“He’s (Gibbs) bulked right up but he is running better than I have ever seen him,” Walker told SEN radio this morning.

“I think he may be 2-3kgs heavier than what he was last year but his running power has changed so much over the past 3-4 months.”
Link

Remove this Banner Ad

Back