Past Bryce Gibbs

Remove this Banner Ad

His first season was average and it was only last year that he started to show some good signs.

Incorrect - sure, he wasn't flashy, but Gibbs had a very good debut season.

But you are right that it was last season that he kicked on even more and started showing signs of becoming an exceptional player.

He's in for a big year.

Jury still seems to be out regarding Pagan's use of BG in his first year. Plenty think it didn't harm his game running with some of the best around and learning the defensive side of things. Since he's been released he has certainly blossomed somewhat. Agree this year might be a blinder for him - hope so.

Jury still seems to be out regarding Pagan's use of BG in his first year. Plenty think it didn't harm his game running with some of the best around and learning the defensive side of things. Since he's been released he has certainly blossomed somewhat. Agree this year might be a blinder for him - hope so.

There was 1 game last year where he broke out ( cant remember the game). Instead of just looking to dish off sideways he took them on and looked for the damaging option. After that he was fantastic for the rest of the year.

BG 09 version and beyond will be a star no doubt.

His first season was average and it was only last year that he started to show some good signs.
What a load of crap.

His first season was average by what standards? He is only 2 months older than Kreuzer.

:cool:

As for the Pagan thing, one thing we lack generally is midfield pressure. Gibbs not only wins plenty of the footy, but he always gets more of it than his opponent, regardless of who they are.

Whether that would have been the case anyway, or whether a year playing defensively has added that, who knows......but it can't have hurt.

In his first year he was shouldering more responsibility than any one could possibly wish on him.
I completely agree.
What a load of crap.

His first season was average by what standards? He is only 2 months older than Kreuzer.
Average by the standards of a number one pick. Average by the judgement of the football public.

I completely agree.

Average by the standards of a number one pick. Average by the judgement of the football public.

the football public held a meeting and a decission was made :rolleyes:

back to your own board now and start a thread as to whether Gumby will get to 5 games by seasons end

I completely agree.

From an outsider's point of view i would tend to agree, however if you watched all the Carlton games in 2007, like I did you would of noticed they barely played the kid at all in the midfield and he spent most of his first season in the backline as a learning year. He showed the damage he could do when released into the midfield over the last dozen games last year.

Very much worthy of a #1 pick and more.

the football public held a meeting and a decission was made :rolleyes:

back to your own board now and start a thread as to whether Gumby will get to 5 games by seasons end
No, just from chats with mates, forums and the general feeling you'd be able to gather that Gibbs did not have an outstanding first season but rather a solid one for a kid that had lots of hype.

From an outsider's point of view i would tend to agree, however if you watched all the Carlton games in 2007, like I did you would of noticed they barely played the kid at all in the midfield and he spent most of his first season in the backline as a learning year. He showed the damage he could do when released into the midfield over the last dozen games last year.

Very much worthy of a #1 pick and more.
Good post. Pagan copped much criticism for seemingly holding Gibbs back by playing him in defence.

I completely agree.

.....and what may I ask would be the expected standard of say......a number 2 draft pick?

Please list the standards of a number 1 pick after their first season so we can all compare him.

No, just from chats with mates, forums and the general feeling you'd be able to gather that Gibbs did not have an outstanding first season but rather a solid one for a kid that had lots of hype.

Hmmm........so because he didn't live up to the media hype he only had a solid year........so it's not based on what roles he did and how well he did them, or anything as solid as actual output, just what you think based on the media hype, he should have done.............thanks for your thoughts.........BTW what are your thoughts on Tom Hawkins?

I think Gibbs was well used......why let him get smashed by harder bodies in the middle when he was a skinny 17yo and we were no chance to make the finals anyway ?

Many 17yos with talent are hidden away in the VFL for 1 or 2 years, Gibbs learnt a lot playing seniors on some very good players.

It was a different learning experience whilst still protecting his body to some extent.

Ratts played him outside the midfield after he took over in Gibbs 1st season and for the 1st half of his 2nd season so the train of thought was continued after Pago Pago and I would imagine the whole MC had input into his introduction to AFL football.

No need to throw a bottom aged star of the future with an immature body to the wolves at centre bounces in his first year. Protect his body and his confidence and ensure he is a 250 + gamer

Will move well ahead of Selwood this year and prove his worthiness fo being selected @ #1

.....and what may I ask would be the expected standard of say......a number 2 draft pick?

Please list the standards of a number 1 pick after their first season so we can all compare him.

Hmmm........so because he didn't live up to the media hype he only had a solid year........so it's not based on what roles he did and how well he did them, or anything as solid as actual output, just what you think based on the media hype, he should have done.............thanks for your thoughts.........BTW what are your thoughts on Tom Hawkins?

You need to get off your high horse! I think you'll find that there is a lot of love for BG amongst the footy community. His 1st season was ok, but he definitely didn't set the world on fire. This was probably distorted by the fact that Selwood had one of the best first seasons ever. Doesn't matter a whole lot now, BG showed his true colours in the last half of last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You need to get off your high horse! I think you'll find that there is a lot of love for BG amongst the footy community. His 1st season was ok, but he definitely didn't set the world on fire. This was probably distorted by the fact that Selwood had one of the best first seasons ever. Doesn't matter a whole lot now, BG showed his true colours in the last half of last year.

He is going to be a gun - and everyone is jealous! :)

Would tend to agree with the bomber poster. Gibbs got a football education first year, believe Pagan did the right thing in terms of his weight/strength and also our ladder position. If the Geelong boy is used as a benchmark then Gibbs first year was average(Tho life would surely have been easier playing in that cats team:p)

2009 is going to be a big year for Gibbs, and he is going to be special :)

Gumbleton has been consistently injured pal:rolleyes:

We'll have to agree to disagree because many of you get into a frenzy when Gibbs is portrayed in a less then flattering way.

Saw Gibbs at the Victory game recently doing an embarrassing promo on a water saving item. Other then some shorts he was naked and had about 15 people watching him. I'm sure he felt sheepish standing naked at the Dome with nobody paying any attention to the pointless promo. Has put on a lot of size since he was drafted. No longer looks so young and innocent.

We'll have to agree to disagree because many of you get into a frenzy when Gibbs is portrayed in a less then flattering way.

Saw Gibbs at the Victory game recently doing an embarrassing promo on a water saving item. Other then some shorts he was naked and had about 15 people watching him. I'm sure he felt sheepish standing naked at the Dome with nobody paying any attention to the pointless promo. Has put on a lot of size since he was drafted. No longer looks so young and innocent.

Interested in naked men i see.

The only real distortion in this whole debate was that BG was a skinny 'underaged' kid in his rookie year whereas Selwood was a mature-bodied 'overaged' unit. Gibbs will be twice the player - and i rate Selwood. :D:thumbsu:

How long does that wash as an excuse?
.....and then you throw bait like:

The "frenzy" as you put it is driven by fools who throw up the "Milne incident" as being indicative of how Gibbs plays, despite missing him tackling J Brown front on, despite missing him throw his body under packs.

It's driven by comparing a 17 yo who was held back by his coach with a 19 yo who played as 9th midfielder alongside Ablett, Bartell and co.

Stupidity from those who seek only to inflame the debate despite the evidence to the contrary is where the frenzy is at.

Still haven't heard your thoughts on Hawkins......but then, there's no point getting on that case because the Cats have the comebacks in the way of onfield performance don't they. :rolleyes:

Bryce Gibbs, With out a doubt and I say this with confidence...Will be one of those players who ranks high in the brownlow every year and who knows could possibly win it.

He reminds me of James Hird alot...Just his pure class, Those who just look at the what two mistakes? he made are utterly stupid. Kept Akermanis & Goods to single digit possys? Two brownlow medalist, With Judd around the club Gibbs can still only go up, Id say we still havnt seen the best of him yet...and Im loving what his giving us now.

Fantastic start for Gibbs this year, been released to provide run and attack this year and is thriving. Has owned the corridor over the past few weeks and continually provides scoring shots for our forwards. Think he has learnt alot playing as a defensive player over the start of his career because he just knows were to go to find the footy.

Keep it up Bryce. :thumbsu:

Where's BG's buddy?

Big shoes to fill, but hey........you could try.:p

I was wrapped to have BG last year as my buddy and study closely his tranformation from defender to stopper to playmaker.

This time last year he was pushing into the midfield and getting caught between the play and not really linking up, focussing firstly on stopping his man (which he did exceptionally) but not then timing his "injection" into the play that well and getting overlooked as an option.

This year he has been the playmaker. The "go to" guy at CHB in the corridor as C23 has pointed out, and the Lions and Dogs have been carved up by not paying him too much attention.

He will reap the spoils of having Judd and Murph in the form they are in......and I think to a large degree he has made Stevens search for a new role.......as so often it was Stevo we'd look for in the corridor to set the play up.

We have just witnessed to passing of the batton.:thumbsu:

It will take Stevo a little while to adjust his patterns to fit in and get more involved, but when he does LOOK OUT!

Where's BG's buddy?

Big shoes to fill, but hey........you could try.:p

I was wrapped to have BG last year as my buddy and study closely his tranformation from defender to stopper to playmaker.

This time last year he was pushing into the midfield and getting caught between the play and not really linking up, focussing firstly on stopping his man (which he did exceptionally) but not then timing his "injection" into the play that well and getting overlooked as an option.

This year he has been the playmaker. The "go to" guy at CHB in the corridor as C23 has pointed out, and the Lions and Dogs have been carved up by not paying him too much attention.

He will reap the spoils of having Judd and Murph in the form they are in......and I think to a large degree he has made Stevens search for a new role.......as so often it was Stevo we'd look for in the corridor to set the play up.

We have just witnessed to passing of the batton.:thumbsu:

It will take Stevo a little while to adjust his patterns to fit in and get more involved, but when he does LOOK OUT!

Interest was minimal due to some lazy characters. I sure as hell wouldn't have put my hand up for Gibbs despite my man-love towards him, there would have been no chance in filling the shoes left by you mate, no chance.

I think there may be a consensus that Gibbs is being played out of position over the past 2 weeks and i totally agree. Ratten seems to have shifted Bryce from a out and out attacking midfielder to more of a midfield sweeper. He seems to gradually work his way further and further back because he spent a fair bit of time across half back tonight. Not really sure the reasoning for this, he is a very good kick but he is also great around the clearances which i thought today we were struggling at. Played very very well early in the year but seems to be down a little of late due to what looks like a positional change. Can't really pin point a reason why Ratten has done this, any ideas?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back