Opinion 4 Flag in a Row under Massive Threat

Remove this Banner Ad

The Collingwood history is important, its a cherished past.
Guarantees nothing, thats true, but relishing the great times is paying tribute to those that went before.

Our tragedy, the great Collingwoodtragedy is that we lost so many close Grand Finals, not half and half but just about all of the close ones or even ones that we were in the game for a long time.
1964, 1966, 1970, 1977, 1979, 1981, 2002, 2011.

In fact the only close one we won since 1958, was 2010 the draw.

For all sorts of reasons but if we won say even 3 of them everything would lookso different.
Cant change the past but it was a cruel period for us, just saying

I want is to move past this history and become a consistency successful side.

:thumbsu:
I want is to move past this history and become a consistency successful side.
Agree a new found successful era so we can doff our cap to the past; and relish the succsses we have

The other thing that has really benefitted the Hawks is free agency. It came in right when the team was on the rise, and free agency was a free ticket for any good player in a crap club who wanted to finish off in a premiership. So Burgoyne, Lake, Hale, McEvoy, Frawley, etc all get a free ride and join the same club. Free agency was poorly thought out and until they change it the clubs at the top right now can keep regenerating their lists for nothing.
Not even close.

Lake, along with pick 27, were traded to the Hawthorn Football Club at the end of the 2012 season during the trade period, in return for picks 21 and 41.

Burgoyne was also traded in 2010 after his brother retired.

David Hale was traded to Hawthorn in exchange for a 1st round draft pick after falling out of favor with the coaching staff at North playing only 16 games in 2009 and 12 in 2010.

McEvoy was traded by St Kilda to Hawthorn in exchange for young midfielder Shane Savage and Hawthorn's first round pick.

That leaves Frawley who legitimately came across on free agency.

They lost Buddy.

While on the subject of their trading, they traded in Josh Gibson in the 2009 trade week, along with North Melbourne's fifth round draft pick No. 69 (Hawks picked Taylor Duryea) for Hawthorn's second and third round draft picks (No. 25 and No. 41 overall)

They also traded in Jack Gunston. He was traded to Hawthorn in a deal that saw three draft picks (pick 24, 46 & 64) given to Adelaide and two picks returned (pick 53 and 71).

Pretty impressive by the Hawks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Not sure why anyone is worried about Hawthorn equaling our four in a row record or our total premierships won. The FACT is that Hawthorn are and have been the best team of the last 50 years.....easily. They deserve to go past us in the record books and will probably do so.

Then they should easily get past the Scum and Peptide Bummers

Will be the biggest supported club too with the way they are going and their legion of fans through the south east of Melbourne.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

and All the Kids following them and they Grow Up.

I think Hawks have shown that you pick footballers over athletes.

This stupid idea AFL teams have of picking elite runners and trying to turn them into footballers is just absolute crap.

Can the bloke kick, handball and read the play...yes, pick him and then train him to get fit.

Hawthorn would be one of the slowest teams (by slow I mean running) but they transition the ball with great skills.

You can kick and handball the ball much faster than you can run!!!

PICK GOD DAMN FOOTBALLERS AND STOP PICKING ATHLETES!!!!

100% Agree. Draft Footballers and not Bloody Athletes. Recipe for Failure

Isaac Smith is an athlete over footballer, just happens that he fills a need in the team.

Hawks showed signs of decline this year, losing more matches than previous, finishing outside top 2, losing a final. The only reason they got it this year is that Freo finished the year poorly so couldn't mount a good final, and of course getting West Coast was a lucky break.
Things will really have to line up for them next year. I would think with Dixon going to Port, Port will be the team to beat next year.

That is 1 our of 22 Players. You can get away with maybe 2 tops in your side but they still need good skills

The other thing that has really benefitted the Hawks is free agency. It came in right when the team was on the rise, and free agency was a free ticket for any good player in a crap club who wanted to finish off in a premiership. So Burgoyne, Lake, Hale, McEvoy, Frawley, etc all get a free ride and join the same club. Free agency was poorly thought out and until they change it the clubs at the top right now can keep regenerating their lists for nothing.

Lake,Burgoyne,McEvoy and Hale where all Trades

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not even close.

Lake, along with pick 27, were traded to the Hawthorn Football Club at the end of the 2012 season during the trade period, in return for picks 21 and 41.

Burgoyne was also traded in 2010 after his brother retired.

David Hale was traded to Hawthorn in exchange for a 1st round draft pick after falling out of favor with the coaching staff at North playing only 16 games in 2009 and 12 in 2010.

McEvoy was traded by St Kilda to Hawthorn in exchange for young midfielder Shane Savage and Hawthorn's first round pick.

That leaves Frawley who legitimately came across on free agency.

They lost Buddy.

While on the subject of their trading, they traded in Josh Gibson in the 2009 trade week, along with North Melbourne's fifth round draft pick No. 69 (Hawks picked Taylor Duryea) for Hawthorn's second and third round draft picks (No. 25 and No. 41 overall)

They also traded in Jack Gunston. He was traded to Hawthorn in a deal that saw three draft picks (pick 24, 46 & 64) given to Adelaide and two picks returned (pick 53 and 71).

Pretty impressive by the Hawks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lake came over 1 year before being unrestricted so Dogs were forced to trade for him same with Burgoyne Port were going to lose him so had to trade etc etc

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

Lake came over 1 year before being unrestricted so Dogs were forced to trade for him same with Burgoyne Port were going to lose him so had to trade etc etc

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

Still not Free-Agency and it was not around when Lake and Burgoyne was Traded

shouldnt we be talking about 5 or 6 in a row? THouGHTS?

got to win one first, or make the grand final before going that far

You must be living in a parallel universe where free agency was introduced 5 years earlier than this universe....

Hawks are still a chance next year.
They have 3 things that push them a tier above.

1. Speed over power, skill over effort. Notice most of the players are lean and not bulky, can outrun most teams and agile enough to distrupt teams defensively.

2. Clarkson's system. Notice players going for marks or inside clearances tend to dispose/tap the ball towards team mates that have clear view of their inside 50 which allows them a second to decide who and where to kick to after receiving the ball. Seems so easy for them to find players running for marks because simply they get that extra second to make the decision... Rarely any blind and rushed disposals which players going under pressure tend to do. Key is to always dispose to players who had the clear view... Hard work to win the ball and dispose... But very easy for the receiving player to find targets... The targets have an easier time getting good looks on the goal.

Man on man defense is the way to go... Unless the other team has a disciplined defense structure that stays back to defend all the time.

Skills and speed are critical to the system.

3. High IQ players over athleticism/physical presence... Hodge, Roughead, Gunston, Burgoyne etc... All smart players that are fsr from being elite physically in their positions.

Hawks have beaten the modern defense of effort/strength/pressure by being skilled and smart.

Come now everyone, time for the cliches now:

We're all equal on zero points on the ladder now.
We will train the house down.
Cant wait for a full pre-season for (name player)
We're not afraid of anybody.

Etc etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back