Marks: 5 (1 contested)
Tackles: 3
Rebounds: 1
I50's: 2
1%'s: 3
DE: 95%
DT/SC: 74/99

Rating: 5.5/10

On the surface it seems that Jack had a really nice game, and offensively he did IMO - he used the ball fantastically. However I really felt he let himself down defensively and in reality cost us three goals with poor defending - which in turn bumped his ranking down a couple of points.

Two were on Brown admittedly - but regardless of whether the match-up was ill-advised Jack completely lost Brown twice in the dying stages of the first. The third situation he lost McGrath around a pack, who promptly skirted out with the ball and slotted it from 5 metres.

I think Neeld needs to switch Watts back to the forward-line ASAP; he's got a bit of confidence in his game and more importantly we NEED a tall target down there.

Admittedly a defenders job was made hard today with the delivery of the Lions midfield, but still an average game.

Round 15 vs Richmond

Disposals: 17 (10/7 contested)
Marks: 5 (2 contested)
Tackles: 1
Rebounds: 2
I50's: 1
1%'s: 5
DE: 83%
DT/SC: 55/83

Rating: 6/10

Well, it'll do - but I don't like saying that about a no.1 pick .. let alone a number one pick with as much talent as Jack.

He made a couple of uncharacteristic errors by foot, but was good in the contest for most of the game - taking a couple of strong contested marks.

His offensive game was limited this time around, he didn't provide great rebound or run from defense.

I really hope he gets his chance up forward in the coming weeks.

He was playing very, very deep for much of the game... didn't help that he was trying to pinpoint passes from literally the last line, and with the Richmond cheersquad in his ears half the time.

Agree he should move forward to give us a proper target... Rivers just isn't effective down there.

MFC: I’ve learned to deal with scrutiny: Watts

“I certainly don’t read too many things anymore - that’s one thing I learnt. It’s just too much and if I looked into everything, I wouldn’t be able to cope, because it’s just ridiculous. The main thing for me is sticking to the plan, and it’s pretty clichéd, but you just listen to your coaches and your teammates - that’s all that really matters,” he told melbournefc.com.au

Sounds good.

MFC: Pre-season update: Hogan to Dawes

4. Jack Watts
Jack’s had a very good summer, but he recently got sick and missed a week. His fitness levels have improved significantly and his body weight and strength have also come along. He did very well at the Darwin camp, but he got some leg tightness, so he didn’t do a couple of sessions leading into Christmas. But overall, it’s been a very positive pre-season for him.

Jade Rawlings

REVIEWS!!!!

I'll gloss over Rounds 1 and 2 - let's just say they weren't good enough, I gave him 2/10 for both efforts.

Round 4: vs GWS

It was a step in the right direction, he did some nice things with the ball - and some nice things in the contest - but again let himself down on a couple of occasions where he didn't quite show the determination we want from our players (chasing Toby Greene down the wing, if he'd kept running instead of trying an unlikely dive and vs Ward in the forwardline, although when I watched the replay the balls bounce did him no favours at all).

He looked a bit hesitant and second guessed himself at times on the field - he needs to back himself 2nd/3rd man up more often, he got himself in good positions but then hung of the contest because he didn't want to impede a teammate... even though if he'd gone he would almost certainly have won the contest IMO - also needs to spread better and run like he wants the ball to come to him... but overall it was a solid showing and an improved performance.

Jacob Townsend was sent to him as a defensive forward in the view of the commentary team but for what it's worth he kept him to 11 disposals for the day (although I think he played on Rhys Palmer in the 4th as well).

6/10

The guys sitting in front of me were bagging Jack pretty mercilessly yesterday, which makes it hard to view his game objectively even though I was trying to.

I reckon you're pretty much spot on with most of your stuff TPM, the thing I will add (especially about him not getting into contests to impede teammates) is that I think he's a thinking man's footballer, in that he probably over thinks his potential actions and maybe gets a bit too cute with his positioning, trying to anticipate the ball. Contrast this with a player like Rohan Bail (for example) who I imagine just sees the ball and goes for it.

This overthinking can sometimes lead him to look hesitant and not up for the contest (which may also be the case), however I think that sometimes we need to give him the benefit of the doubt and say that he's trying to position himself to get the ball in an optimum position rather than just diving in every time (especially when there is already a teammate on hand who is doing that).

Obviously this is just my observation, it may be not a popular view, and maybe we do need him crashing in. Just a thought I had.

Yeah, certainly when the ball is on the deck that's a fair observation - however in the air I think that if he can win the ball, he should go for it.

There was a case where it was Byrnes and Watts approaching an aerial contest, Byrnes was closer so got there first but Jack could have made it as well - he clearly looked at Byrnes (even from my spot up on the 4th level I saw this) and decided that he wouldn't go for the ball (in fairness Byrnes was in a good position, his man was under the ball.

Anyway, Byrnes spills the attempted screamer (fell into his lap, but we know he isn't a great aerialist) and the ball turns over with Jack stuck in between the contest and his man (having zoned off him).

My point is that Jack needs to back himself and go for those, he was during pre-season, because he'll win the ball.

There were also times in a pack marking contest where literally a second before the ball came in Jack would look around for teammates who were in position to take the grab, and a couple of times pulled out of a marking/spoiling attempt and just bodied his man.

In my view, Jacks role is to really impact aerial contests - so I'd like to see more of it.

No doubt it'll increase with his increasing confidence.

Also, I thought Jack looked a lot skinnier then the pre-season - I think he lost a bit of weight/muscle mass when he was sick during Round 2.

There was a time in the 3 quarter when on the forward 50 he decided to go the man instead of the ball and it cost us a goal and several other times when he laid hapless tackles. Im sorry but his softness is becoming a liability.

Round 5 vs Brissssie

It was a good game from Watts, his best for the season.

He was okay down back playing on Paparone and Polkinhorne (mainly Paparone) but seemed to struggle to keep up with Paparone who's known for his freakish fitness levels for a 190+ player. I thought he tired pretty quickly, as did our team.

He went back with the flight well early on and got absolutely crushed, but one thing I would like him to do is put more tackling pressure on instead of corralling a player. The corralling worked on occasion and is very much a basketball tactic coming out, but he needs to go in for the tackle more often.

I noticed he was very sore in the right shoulder throughout the night, he's got strapping there and something is obviously wrong - hopefully it'll be okay in a couple of weeks.

He was very good when moved up forward, kicking two goals in the third term while being a little starved of opportunities and he presented well in the fourth although spent a significant amount of the last off the ground getting work on his shoulder.

16 disposal at over 90% efficiency, 9 marks with 2 contested, 2 goals in half a game up forward.

7/10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 9 vs Fweo

Solid return from Jack to senior football, a couple of clangers marred some pieces of really good play - presented well up forward but (as per usual) was regularly let down by the delivery of the mids and half backs.

15 touches, 6 marks and a goal was a solid return and I was particularly pleased with a few acts which demonstrated his increasing physicality - a strong tackle (even though he gave away a free kick), winning a ground ball and getting flipped over in the process but keeping his head and getting an effective handball out and also a couple of times the ball was positioned for forwards to get a run at a pack he hit it hard.

6/10 - not an outstanding game by any stretch, without those couple of clangers it would have been rated a bit higher.

Let's hope he continues to build some form, interesting to note that he had double to disposal numbers of our next best forward (Dawes)

Round 10 vs Hawks

Another solid game from Jack, let's hope this is building his confidence so he can have some outstanding games later on in the season.

14 disposals and 8 marks, he worked and presented hard.

He showed some good physicality, made good decisions in general and used the ball well bar one kick that caused Howe to fumble.

Didn't position himself that well in marking contests, but to be fair the Hawks defenders are some of the best in the league - found himself on Gibson and Lake for most of the game.

Went missing in the 2nd and 4th when the Hawks got a run on, which is always going to happen as a forward - but I think that he showed composure when he got the ball, even in tight situations.

He's certainly not playing with the confidence we know he can, but a couple more of these sorts of performances and he'll build it up.

6/10

Not sure about 'another' solid game, but I enjoyed his work... he looked like he gave a s**t for the first time in a while and played with some purpose. Worked hard, kicked well, took a couple of good marks... obviously a tough gig down there though. Enjoyed him charging through and breaking tackles in the first quarter, shame about the shot on goal but it's the small wins for us at this stage.

Haha, by another I meant backing it up from last week in his return from the hammy - his form against Brisbane was pretty good prior to that too.

So I guess his last three games have been 'solid' - not counting GWS because I'm sure most players could do 'okay' against them.

Round 11 vs the Ferals

More glimpses that Jack is building up his confidence and beginning to play how we know he can (again...), started excellently and if he'd taken the two chances he had in the first quarter it would have been close to a 10/10 start from him.

The attack on the football and strong play with the football is something that we'd all love to see more of and it seems like we will.

Unfortunately our midfield got royally ****ed after 1/4 time and when we did get the ball into the 50 we were often kicking it to Jack in a 3 on 1 contest - or to absolutely no one!

Good luck!

Dawes going down didn't help either - Fitzy was doing nothing so all his man had to do was zone off and stand in front of Watts.

Worked hard the entire game and while not a standout performance it was again a positive step and he really had a positive impact on the game when he had the ball in hand.

Fair to say he got murdered by the umps as well, so many blocks and holds that weren't even considered being paid.

Even one got paid against him when Shaw turned his back on the ball... I mean, seriously.

6.5/10

I have to admit at the time I wasn't overly impressed with Jack's game but on reflection he worked hard all day - like you said TPM he had limited delivery and when it did go his way it was often 2 or 3 on 1.

I still don't think he attacked the ball hard enough when it was there to be won on the ground, but if he stays (I hope so) then I think the forward line is the place for him. If by some miracle we can get Dawes and Clark in the same forward line then he can push forward a bit and give them some elite delivery from the wing/half forward.

I have to admit at the time I wasn't overly impressed with Jack's game but on reflection he worked hard all day - like you said TPM he had limited delivery and when it did go his way it was often 2 or 3 on 1.

I still don't think he attacked the ball hard enough when it was there to be won on the ground, but if he stays (I hope so) then I think the forward line is the place for him. If by some miracle we can get Dawes and Clark in the same forward line then he can push forward a bit and give them some elite delivery from the wing/half forward.

I thought he was solid on the ground, but again winning the ground ball against 6'1 - 6'2 midfielders isn't exactly the norm form for 6'5 and a half forwards.

Broke tackles and gave a couple of don't argues, made some strong spoils and a couple of good tackles too.

Dawes going down hurt him, Reid had him in the air but Watts was carving him up at ground level - so they chucked Shaw on Watts after Dawes went off - Reid on Fitz and all Reid had to do then was zone off because Fitz still looks a bit off the pace.

s**t he was impeded in the contest a lot, as you say... could have had several free kicks go his way.

I thought he looked good early, obviously had no impact in the following quarters but then who did?

Then again, this bloke should be one of our best players so I'd like to see him get amongst it and try to win a few contests when we're getting smashed, instead of staying forward and going cold.

Yeah, would have been good to see Neeld throw him in the midfield to keep him involved when supply dried up - but when Dawes went down we needed a target.

My major criticism of him after Dawes went down is that he didn't really adjust his role, he should have been the one down the line for the long kick - but he still lead at the ball carrier about 30-35 away.

So we ended up with no one down the line for a long kick because who knew what Fitzy was doing!

vs Saints

Good game from Jack, I was at the game with a pretty good view and his work rate when we had the ball and when we didn't was really good.

Competed well in the air and at ground level, really looked a different player then he had under Neeld this year (bar a couple of quarters here and there).

Made a couple of skill errors which cost him shots on goal, delivery to him when he got separation on the lead was really poor and the Saints were zoning off whenever the ball went in long to him or Dawes.

All things said and done he probably should have had a couple more to his tally.

7/10

Forgot to mention his physicality, significant improvement there - just have a look at Blease's goal highlight on the club site, good solid bump from Jack there.

Moar plz.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back