marklovesbeer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2010
South Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
Of our list, for the purpose of this particular article, I would use Tarrant.

Has enough games under his belt now that he the nervy kicking needs to go & go soon. He's good such a good body shape & can clunk them when he's on but he really needs to take some big steps this year because there are people right behind him awaiting their chance.

As mentioned before, all spots on the field are going to be fought for & free rides should be a thing of the past.

Granted it will be a bit harder for him with not being fully fit for another pre-season but if he plays round 1 he would want to perform, especially if someone like Wood goes alright in the NAB games.

I want Taz to succeed but his time is now. Needs a big first four rounds or he will find himself back in the B's.

Has enough games under his belt now that he the nervy kicking needs to go & go soon.
Not trying to single you out Mark but I'm really sick of reading comments like this. People have talked about Tarrant's goal kicking this year as if he is Travis Cloke. Taz is generally an excellent kick for goal, he just went through a period of about 6-8 weeks at the end of the year where he lost confidence in his kicking. Incidentally, the same thing happened to Black but I don't see anyone else expressing concern about him.

Sent from my Samsung iPhone using Tapatalk 4

Saintly31

Cancelled
Apr 2, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Taz is generally an excellent kick for goal, he just went through a period of about 6-8 weeks at the end of the year where he lost confidence in his kicking. Incidentally, the same thing happened to Black but I don't see anyone else expressing concern about him.

Very fair point on kicking JayZ, been way too harsh (and coming from me...).

ps: the player comparisons for both ends there, but not relevant to point you make.

Very fair point on kicking JayZ, been way too harsh (and coming from me...).

ps: the player comparisons ends there, but not relevant to correct point you made.
Yeah Cloke, like Buddy, is a much better forward than Taz but Taz's goal kicking shits on theirs

Daz

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not trying to single you out Mark but I'm really sick of reading comments like this. People have talked about Tarrant's goal kicking this year as if he is Travis Cloke. Taz is generally an excellent kick for goal, he just went through a period of about 6-8 weeks at the end of the year where he lost confidence in his kicking. Incidentally, the same thing happened to Black but I don't see anyone else expressing concern about him.

Not really the case. He's had issues in this area for much of his career. The 2012 season was an exception.

Black has real trouble converting on the left hand side (where most right footers are better suited). I, for one, am concerned by that. Needs to sort out a Buddy arc or something to fix the issue.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
Anthony could play a role if injuries hit us hard.

He could be a run with player or sub if required.
Go back and look at some of the passages of attacking play he stuffed up in 2013. I thought he was improving when he showed a bit more steel in the latter parts of 2012, but some of his skills and/or decision making with the ball hurt us. I held out more hope for Super Gav than I do now for LA.

Not really the case. He's had issues in this area for much of his career. The 2012 season was an exception.
Much of his career? He spent most of his games pre-2012 in the back line

Saintly31

Cancelled
Apr 2, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah Cloke, like Buddy, is a much better forward than Taz but Taz's goal kicking shits on theirs

Taz looks very impressive when he hits them right - kicks 50 like its a walk in the park.

Just doesn't always do it enough though Jay-Z, if not providing elsewhere (knowing my other concerns)

ps: Still totally agree he is unfairly maligned kicking wise against Cloke etc who kick same or worse, no probs there.

marklovesbeer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2010
South Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers

Yeah, look ill be honest & just say that the only games I've watched on Foxtel this summer have been ones from the last 2 months of the season.

As with any discussion, be it goal kicking or Brownlow votes etc. it's easy to forget the first half of the season.

I rate Tarrant, but I'm just saying now more than ever he needs to step up because people will be waiting to jump on in to any weak spots out side has if players under perform.

I think I used Taz as an example as opposed to say a Wright or Levi, because I think realistically he is more likely to be part of our next team pushing for a flag.

Black2Blue

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Note to Robbie Tarrant: If you love to be the centre of attention, whether good or bad, this is the place for you...but if you are a sensitive lad best keep your distance from BF. ;)

Thread on best 22, ends up as thread on Taz
Thread on idiot jour no and LA stepping up, ends up as thread on Taz
Just waiting for the Obscure Item thread to focus on Taz.

Like all roads leading to Rome, we have all threads leading to Taz. Pray he doesn't cop an injury before round 1. This torture will go on forever.

marklovesbeer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2010
South Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
Taz looks very impressive when he hits them right - kicks 50 like its a walk in the park.

Just doesn't always do it enough though Jay-Z, if not providing elsewhere (knowing my other concerns)

ps: Still totally agree he is unfairly maligned kicking wise against Cloke etc who kick same or worse, no probs there.
Cloke is over-rated by a lot of people in the football world.
Not saying he's no good, but he wouldn't be anywhere near as hyped up (or get as many goals as he does) if he played for say the Bulldogs or Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Note to Robbie Tarrant: If you love to be the centre of attention, whether good or bad, this is the place for you...but if you are a sensitive lad best keep your distance from BF. ;)

Like all roads leading to Rome, we have all threads leading to Taz. Pray he doesn't cop an injury before round 1. This torture will go on forever.

Nah it wouldn't go on forever.

He cops an injury and a lot of people will have him delisted at the end of the year.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He kicked 1.1 in 2011, 23.16 in 2012 and 13.3 in his first six games of 2013. The 7 game run at the end of 2013 yielded 3.12 but that is certainly not indicative of much of his career. He got the yips and need to sort that s**t out but for the majority of his short career to date he has been a pretty good shot for goal.

marklovesbeer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2010
South Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers

The thread is called 'players more likely to step up than Liam Anthony'

He kicked 1.1 in 2011, 23.16 in 2012 and 13.3 in his first six games of 2013. The 7 game run at the end of 2013 yielded 3.12 but that is certainly not indicative of much of his career. He got the yips and need to sort that s**t out but for the majority of his short career to date he has been a pretty good shot for goal.

It'd take 2 years for people to begin to recognise that he is over his yips.

I mean its not like he was playing through injury when he got them.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
If only there was someone he could look to, for inspiration.

Black2Blue

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The thread is called 'players more likely to step up than Liam Anthony'

TBH we could probably name 40 players more likely to step up that LA and most of the discussion was on LA and the idiot journo until the first suggestion of a player to step up happened to be Taz. Don't have a problem with your argument, just feel the poor bloke deserves a break.

Winter

Club Legend
Jan 3, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Of our list, for the purpose of this particular article, I would use Tarrant.

Has enough games under his belt now that he the nervy kicking needs to go & go soon. He's good such a good body shape & can clunk them when he's on but he really needs to take some big steps this year because there are people right behind him awaiting their chance.

As mentioned before, all spots on the field are going to be fought for & free rides should be a thing of the past.

Granted it will be a bit harder for him with not being fully fit for another pre-season but if he plays round 1 he would want to perform, especially if someone like Wood goes alright in the NAB games.

I want Taz to succeed but his time is now. Needs a big first four rounds or he will find himself back in the B's.

Agreed.

While Daw and Curran are recovering from injury Tarrant has some breathing space but lets not forget the possibility of rotating Currie/Goldstein as third tall or even a Mason Wood should Tarrant not hit form early.

A lot would have to go wrong I think as Tarrant really does make our forward line function better.

Daz

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne

So he's had one good year, like I said.

@Pykie, he struggled as a junior, yeah?

gustev

Club Legend
Mar 30, 2008
north of melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Athletics
Yeah, just to clarify my post. I'm certainly not having a go at Liam. If he plays an important role for us that's all good, and he may do this. It's just that if a journo casts an eye over our list and looks for someone to "step up" and names Anthony, it is very, very hard to fathom.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So he's had one good yeaar, like I said.

@Pykie, he struggled as a junior, yeah?
Or he has had one rough patch. You choose how you want to look at it.

Back