4 weeks of free AFL live pass

Remove this Banner Ad

Just got an email that I'm sure all of you got but for those who didn't see it the afl is giving 4 weeks of free subscription, the best part is you don't have to use it until the 22/3/15 which is what I'm sure the majority of people will do
image.jpg

Pls merge with the other live pass thread if you want mods.

You need to type in bank details for them to start taking out money once the free 4 weeks are over to activate it though i think..

That is what happened when i tried to activate it earlier to see how it went.. Wouldn't activate unless i typed in bank details or add the $$ onto my phone bill. Not fussed though i have Foxtel.

Last edited:
Yeah, this might be different, but last time they were offering free live passes you still had to enter in credit card details. I guess you could always use the free 4 weeks and then cancel as soon as it's done. They'll probably still charge a minimum fee though.

Yeah, this might be different, but last time they were offering free live passes you still had to enter in credit card details. I guess you could always use the free 4 weeks and then cancel as soon as it's done. They'll probably still charge a minimum fee though.
I reckon it is stupid.

Why offer up free crap only to make us type in our credit card details..

So, I've actually bought the Saints digital membership: $99 for the whole year, or $60 with another membership. You get to watch any game you like, live, on your phone or tablet...

Then go onto Ebay, and spend about $10 or less to by a MHL Micro USB to HDMI converter.

And THAT, my friends, is how you get all of the AFL games live, on your TV, for the entire season...

without having to pay $600 for the footy... and 50 channels that you don't want or need.

So, I've actually bought the Saints digital membership: $99 for the whole year, or $60 with another membership. You get to watch any game you like, live, on your phone or tablet...

Then go onto Ebay, and spend about $10 or less to by a MHL Micro USB to HDMI converter.

And THAT, my friends, is how you get all of the AFL games live, on your TV, for the entire season...

without having to pay $600 for the footy... and 50 channels that you don't want or need.

How much internet will one game use? Not really up with technology lol

Does the stream pull down 1080p or is it something lower quality to save on bandwidth?

That's kinda hard to define, because the AFL app uses what's called adaptive bit-rate format: that means it makes the file bigger or smaller depending on your available bandwidth. This also effects the quality of the picture: it can be really high definition if you have a high bandwidth, or really grainy or blocky if you have low bandwidth. You can also change the quality to a lower level, if you really want to (ie, if you have fast bandwidth, but don't want to use too much data).

I should point out, the adaptive bit-rate formatting is actually a good feature of the app - it's trying to help make sure you can still watch the game, even when you don't have a large enough bandwidth. I remember when they used to have a "one size fits all" approach... and it definitely did NOT fit all. That led to horrible lag, buffering, etc. This is much better.

That's kinda hard to define, because the AFL app uses what's called adaptive bit-rate format: that means it makes the file bigger or smaller depending on your available bandwidth. This also effects the quality of the picture: it can be really high definition if you have a high bandwidth, or really grainy or blocky if you have low bandwidth. You can also change the quality to a lower level, if you really want to (ie, if you have fast bandwidth, but don't want to use too much data).

Ok you've lost me lol cheers thou

:) Think of it this way.

Imagine that each second of the game is like a car, driving to your home. The better the quality of the picture and sound, the bigger the car. Bandwidth represents the size of the road to your home, and the amount of traffic upon it.

So, what the app does, is it looks at how much traffic is on that road to your home, and just how big the road is. And based on that, the app decides to send a car that will fit on that road, second by second. If your road is always a bit small, then it'll always send a small car (low quality). But if you've got a wide, big road (good bandwidth), it'll normally send a big car - the only time it'll send a smaller one instead on that wide road, is when there's lots of other cars on the road and it's getting congested (ie, when lots of other people are downloading stuff nearby).

The point is, the app's priority is that you just see the darn game, moment by moment, without missing any of it - to do that, it'll change the quality, moment by moment.

The alternative is for them to say, "We're just sending a massive truck down that road (high quality picture and sound), and if it gets stuck for a while, who cares!?" We don't want that.

I should point out, the adaptive bit-rate formatting is actually a good feature of the app - it's trying to help make sure you can still watch the game, even when you don't have a large enough bandwidth. I remember when they used to have a "one size fits all" approach... and it definitely did NOT fit all. That led to horrible lag, buffering, etc. This is much better.

I want it to work with chromecast...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've never used the app so i'm not an expert, but i'm pretty sure if you're a Telstra customer, the stream is unmetered so they just charge you a small connection fee and then you can stream hours of content without affecting your data usage. So it won't 'use' up anything (or very little).

If you're not with Telstra, it's another case entirely.

Why offer up free crap only to make us type in our credit card details..
Why say for better or for WORSE when we get married. Only gives her the option of being worse if she wants.
Why have ballerinas stand on their tippy toes all the time when you could just get taller ballerinaso_O
Man!! Life is confusing Isnt It:p

Is Internet in Australia always capped, or with a set limit?

I have the Watch AFL app, the international version. My speed at home isn't great, so watching Live sometimes the stream goes low-quality. But for watching other games, you can also just download them to watch later. So I find a hotel with a good wifi connection, have a seat outside for ten minutes whilst having a drink, and download other games to watch during the day.

Basically if you're streaming it will depend on your internet connection. If I took a guess I'd say around a GB or a bit less.

Is Internet in Australia always capped, or with a set limit?

I have the Watch AFL app, the international version. My speed at home isn't great, so watching Live sometimes the stream goes low-quality. But for watching other games, you can also just download them to watch later. So I find a hotel with a good wifi connection, have a seat outside for ten minutes whilst having a drink, and download other games to watch during the day.
:thumbsu::thumbsu:
With good sneaky Ideas like that you should start another thread called "101 ways to be a tightarse and save money":D

Its also possible (I'm not techy enough to know how) to make it look like your internet provider is in another country.
So you could make it look like your IP address is in France, and then buy the international pass/Saints international membership so you get every single game, even the Vic Metro/Vic Country games, for about $90.

I had someone do similar for me, when I bought a pass to watch cycling online - the pass wasn't available in UK, so my friend set up my laptop so that it seemed like I was in Belgium.

Does this actually work? I was under the impression the app used DRM to prevent it from displaying "off" your tablet/phone.

Also, the app DOES utilize wifi when it can correct?

I have a Samsung Tablet and TV - I streamed on tablet then wirelessly in turn streamed to TV. This is how I watched every Saints game last year bar the one that was on ESPN.

The app works off whatever your device is defaulting to. Usually WiFi is the default for most devices.
But for example my home WiFi is so slow, I turn it off so that it'll stream using 4g instead as I'll get better quality picture.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back