Delisted #40: Ben Howlett - Not offered a contract for 2018 - 24/10

Remove this Banner Ad

I really thought Howlett would be so much more about 3 years ago. 8 possessions is really poor and will probably get him dropped. That one bit of play on the wing was awesome but yeah its not enough to hold his spot.

Howlett unfortunately is not able to consistently win enough ball and is short and only average paced (maybe marginally above average). He is a good tackler though and is a solid kick. His issues are further compounded by the fact that he hasn't shown an ability to play as a genuine tagger which his skillset would seem suited to as far as AFL level play goes.

He's roughly around our 25th best player right now on our list and is out of form. I'd bring in Aylett for him and give him sometime in VFL to get back to red hot form. Could also try him as the sub as well. In his defense I think he's played a fair bit more time up forward this year and it really hasn't been working for him (seems to be a common theme at Essendon).

Was really hoping to be proved wrong on Howlett as I thought he showed signs of improving on ANZAC day but last week was terrible and no way he could have kept his spot after a performance like that.

I think he is made of the right stuff mentally. If anyone can take this and improve it's him..

Was dropped last year. Went back to the VFL and had about 40 touches and was recalled immediately. Would hope for something similar. Pity the VFL Bombers have a bye this week

yes but the problem there is when he did that and came back into the 1s he continued his ordinary form, maybe 2 or 3 weeks in the VFL this time around to really make him earn his spot back

Was dropped last year. Went back to the VFL and had about 40 touches and was recalled immediately. Would hope for something similar. Pity the VFL Bombers have a bye this week
I doubt he'd play in the VFL IMO. Bomber has said he's being rested, and the team line up shows him being rested too. Perhaps I am off the mark, but maybe he has a niggle of some sort?

I doubt he'd play in the VFL IMO. Bomber has said he's being rested, and the team line up shows him being rested too. Perhaps I am off the mark, but maybe he has a niggle of some sort?

to be honest man, I'm not reading into it either. Have to take Bomber's word more so considering the VFL Bombers don't play this week. If he doesn't come back in next week, then we could presume he was 'omitted'.

to be honest man, I'm not reading into it either. Have to take Bomber's word more so considering the VFL Bombers don't play this week. If he doesn't come back in next week, then we could presume he was 'omitted'.
Yeah, if he plays VFL next week then he was almost certainly omitted. Who knows, but when Bomber says Licha is out injured, Benny is out rested and Ashby has been omitted, then I'll take Bomber's word for it that Benny has been rested.

According to Benny on the Hangar, his first game was Davie Hille's 250th game. Hille went on to play another 47 times. 297 games from the big man. Not bad :D

Yeah, if he plays VFL next week then he was almost certainly omitted. Who knows, but when Bomber says Licha is out injured, Benny is out rested and Ashby has been omitted, then I'll take Bomber's word for it that Benny has been rested.

So guess Benny was omitted then scezza?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really liked what I saw of Aylett last week, frenetic, yet composed if that makes much sense.
You're right about him and Howlett though, won't see them in the same team much, unless someone like Melksham or Hocking goes down, as both players are defensive enough to get a tagging role done well, but also hurt the other way.

How long has this guy been playing forward? Excuse the ignorance but I thought he was a backflanker. 5 goals s**t. Keep him there. The big body/structure problem in our forwardline has been evident for weeks. This guy knows where the goals are.

How long has this guy been playing forward? Excuse the ignorance but I thought he was a backflanker. 5 goals s**t. Keep him there. The big body/structure problem in our forwardline has been evident for weeks. This guy knows where the goals are.

All season. Pure mid before that.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-01/bobcat-tackles-his-issues

bobcat? i don't know where that came from, but i like it.
benthebobcat_zps2b7dd6d1.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back