Delisted #40: Ben Howlett - Not offered a contract for 2018 - 24/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Halftimehero

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
So you wouldn't say on the whole those teams have been average over the last 6 years?

Well St Kilda have played in 2 grand finals, West Coast and Port have played in prelims, Essendon has played in 3(should have been 4) finals series and Richmond two, hardly the easy beats of the competition.

NoIdea

Team Captain
Mar 28, 2007
Tas
AFL Club
Essendon
Well St Kilda have played in 2 grand finals, West Coast and Port have played in prelims, Essendon has played in 3(should have been 4) finals series and Richmond two, hardly the easy beats of the competition.
There may be an argument that, probably with the exception of WCE, those teams have all had fairly weak defenses. Would love to see his goal kicking against the likes of Hawthorn, Sydney, Freo in the same time frame.

Halftimehero

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 26, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
There may be an argument that, probably with the exception of WCE, those teams have all had fairly weak defenses. Would love to see his goal kicking against the likes of Hawthorn, Sydney, Freo in the same time frame.

It's poor against the Hawks with 2 goals from 4 game, Fremantle 11 from 6, Sydney 9 from 7, Geelong 7 from 6 and Collingwood 13 from 9, so he averages 1.27 goals a game against the best performed teams over his career as opposed to 1.71 against everyone.

NoIdea

Team Captain
Mar 28, 2007
Tas
AFL Club
Essendon
It's poor against the Hawks with 2 goals from 4 game, Fremantle 11 from 6, Sydney 9 from 7, Geelong 7 from 6 and Collingwood 13 from 9, so he averages 1.27 goals a game against the best performed teams over his career as opposed to 1.71 against everyone.
Beat me to it! Just grabbed the stats and noticed the same thing. We seem to be replete with fair weather players already.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Our best mids - Watson, Heppell, Goddard - are slow. Ideally you'd want some of your lesser types to have some pace and X factor. But Howlett, Hocking, Myers etc are all slow too. Myers survives because he can kick and is a left footer. IMO we can't carry Howlett and Hocking in the same game. This doesn't mean Howlett is not any good, just he doesn't fit in well with team dynamics. Gleeson could well be a better mid/HB/HF as he has some pace and polish.

This is the point, though I would say that serious endurance/running capacity would save anyone. Aylett is the obvious guy on the list but Coghlan from the VFL squad is someone who I think will come into serious contention especially given that he ran out a beep test in the high 14s as an amateur athlete which is quite good (without being elite).

I'd like to think that the discussions are respectful but frank and that we help he move on. It is looming very similar to the Monfries situation.

Eleven 38

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Canucks, Cowboys, Renegades
Defintely not a player that we need to be increasing our offers too much too keep as we have heaps of his type, but definitely a player that a team full of outside runners like carlton needs.

Someone like Garlett could also thrive being able to work under someone like Daniher. considering the best KPF he's had to work under is Jarrod Waite.

Despair

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2013
Königsbrunn, Germany
AFL Club
Essendon
Way too much underrating of Garlett, yeah he's a bit of wank for hanging out with deros like Mitch "The Orc" Robinson. But he is a nimble small forward who knows where the sticks are, we need one of those. No point trying to make a land of the giants forward line if there is nobody to kick them at ground level.

No idea where this impression that Howlett is a "fringe" player is coming from either. 97 games in 5 seasons.. if he's fit, he's in the team. Best 22.

Despair

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2013
Königsbrunn, Germany
AFL Club
Essendon
Beat me to it! Just grabbed the stats and noticed the same thing. We seem to be replete with fair weather players already.

lol..... the discrepancy isn't even that big. It's about 3/10 on the "CDSI" (Crameri Downhill Skiing Index)

I would have thought that it was common sense, most players kick less goals against the top teams... that's kind of why those teams are on top...

Smokin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
1.6 goals per game in 6 finals, in his first 4 years - and he is a fair weather player? Geezus.

On Benny, I was there at that princess park game too - I like him - but the issue is our list. We have needs, deficiencies.

Who do we trade, with some sort of value, to fix them? IMHO Howlett and Melkshem should be absolutely on the table, we need guys with some sort of value to get something. The general idea is you see what you have enough of, and can spare.

Actually I forgot to add Collingwood in but they tend to be one of those fixtures like an ANZAC day or a derby. I never said they were the easybeats. I said over the 6 years they've been average. If you look at the average ladder finishes of all those teams over the last 6 years the only team that isn't average (7-12) or below is Collingwood.

It isn't really that uncommon that a player kicks more goals against lower ranked sides, it isn't an obvious differential between his averages.
Yeah that's a good point. Maybe I just don't like Garlett and am personally annoyed at the idea of trading Ben for him.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I garlett doesn't have a defensive bone in his body.. and is soft.. but he can kick goals in that small forward role.. and we need exactly that...

Again.. I'm not suggesting you give up anything more than a fourth round pick for him.. but I think there is upside there..

I don't know what you've seen to make you think this but Garlett when in good form is at his best when he's tackling and harrassing just ask any carlton supporter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 14, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Beautide The Tassie Terminator
So would Garlett straight swap for Howlett be a fair deal?

I think that its fair, why the hate for Garlett at his best he can kick goals and good forward pressure, we need a small forward and there isn't many on the market. Plus we have to replace Leroy

spoke to Ben at the Crichton and seemed like he wanted to stay but was unsure what was going to happen.

He'd also been stirring Hocking about beating him in the club tackle count (Heater was not happy (or sober at that point))

spoke to Ben at the Crichton and seemed like he wanted to stay but was unsure what was going to happen.

He'd also been stirring Hocking about beating him in the club tackle count (Heater was not happy (or sober at that point))
I also remember talking to Benny. I couldn't tell you one single thing that I discussed with him... :drunk:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back