Traded 40. Jackson Thurlow (2013-2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Guthrie over Darling is a mistake whichever way you look at it, albeit in hindsight. At the time the knock on him was attitude and whether he was a bit of a tweener, rather than list management.

Guthrie over Darling is a mistake whichever way you look at it, albeit in hindsight. At the time the knock on him was attitude and whether he was a bit of a tweener, rather than list management.
Darling wouldn't break into the team with our already stacked forward line anyway. If Mitch Brown or Shane kersten played for any other side they would already have played over 50 and 20 games respectively and we'd be sitting here asking 'why didn't we pick them?'. We don't need to pick as many full forwards as possible just because they are available, just to make us a more flashy side - that's what hawthorn do.

If we had picked Darling then there would have been no need to pick Kersten.

Darling is an absolute gun and would definitely be in our best 22. If you asked the Eagles to list their 5 top players going forward, he'll be on that list.

Darling is a very good player, but so was Chris Dawes in his first couple of years, and we had the opportunity to pick him up but instead we picked Nathan Djerrkura instead! We went with needs, and whilst Djerrkura failed to fire, so to did Dawes in the end and now he's set to languish at the Demons. Cam Guthrie will end up a much better player than Djerkurra and so will Darling who'll end up a better player than Dawes. But over all, Guthrie will be more effective for us in terms of what we need. We don't need another forward, and I'm also convinced that Kersten will become an excellent forward for us, perhaps as good as Darling anyway.

amazing to think Darling is only 20 years old, imagine where his game will be in another 3 years

If we had picked Darling then there would have been no need to pick Kersten.

Darling is an absolute gun and would definitely be in our best 22. If you asked the Eagles to list their 5 top players going forward, he'll be on that list.
Will be a gun no doubt, but would still put hawk and pods ahead of him, at this stage anyway.

Also I'm not sure we did pick Guthrie ahead of him. Pretty sure darling went in the 09 draft when we got menzel and co so I doubt we could have drafted any better that year.

No we could have had Darling instead of Guthrie. I was a bit mystified at the time and thought maybe off field stuff and attitude may have been the problem.

No, Darling went the same draft as Smedts and Guthrie. He actually slipped to the first selection of the second round at pick 26 so we definitely were not the only club to pass him by.

The thing I like about Darling is that he's so much more than a key forward. He's Kersten on steroids with a massive tank. The guy can literally run all day and is one of the fittest blokes at the Eagles, is good with the ball on the deck and applies massive forward pressure. If we had him I would have no issue playing him alongside Hawkins and Pods and even a resting ruck with his mobility. He's actually a much better comparison to Jake Stringer/Pavlich than to Kersten who has as yet not shown the ability to be able to have a run through the middle of the ground.

People are seriously questioning Guthrie over Darling? Seriously? Darling's a talent but he's also built like a brick and was always going to make an immediate impact in the seniors. Guthrie was emergency for a premiership side in his first year and played nearly every game last year - and was very good in many of them. Will play 200 games for us, no problems at all.

No doubt Fred, decision only looks to be a mistake in hindsight.

The initial point of bringing up Darling though is that this is the only instance that I can remember where reservations regarding whether Wells should have picked someone else has been justified by results. All other instances, Wells has been spot on. Therefore, I don't really see any reason to expect it to be different this time around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People are seriously questioning Guthrie over Darling? Seriously? Darling's a talent but he's also built like a brick and was always going to make an immediate impact in the seniors. Guthrie was emergency for a premiership side in his first year and played nearly every game last year - and was very good in many of them. Will play 200 games for us, no problems at all.

Comon now Jester, I love Guthrie as much as the next Geelong fan and think he'll be a fine player. He's not in the same class as Darling though who is looking like he'll be a superstar of the competition. He kicked 53 goals last year as a 20 year old in a role where he was often pushing up the ground as the CHF. No shame to Guthrie though, Darling would be close to the first pick from that draft if they were doing it again now.

Comon now Jester, I love Guthrie as much as the next Geelong fan and think he'll be a fine player. He's not in the same class as Darling though who is looking like he'll be a superstar of the competition. He kicked 53 goals last year as a 20 year old in a role where he was often pushing up the ground as the CHF. No shame to Guthrie though, Darling would be close to the first pick from that draft if they were doing it again now.

Darling is a star, and may well end up having a better career than Guthrie.
But the results of the decision to pick Guthrie over Darling are, of course, utterly irrelevant on the question of whether or not it was a good decision; the merits of a decision can only be judged on what was known at the time it was made.

But that's the thing, isn't it? Guthrie's a skinny small defender - he physically isn't as well equipped for senior football as Darling right now and he plays in a position that doesn't generate easy metrics. He's composed, he's an excellent user of the ball and he's fantastic overhead. I wouldn't go as far as to say he'll be a better player than Darling but he'll be as valuable.

Trouble with Jack Darling is, he's got the turning circle of an aircraft carrier.
He sort of stops, turns and then goes, or othewise its a big bank to the left or the right.:D

Just on Thurlow over Grundy and Wells' decision to go that way...

Interesting that the Pies are to rookie Hudson....after recruiting Lynch and having Jolly and Witts on their list. One wonders if Grundy is in line to get a game this year...I wonder if Lynch will play CHF (!) or maybe Jolly is on his last legs? Maybe Grundy isnt ready yet....permutations...permutations.

Cant really see why they need Hudson if they have 3 rucks ( Jolly, Witts and Grundy ) + Lynch on their list...

Just on Thurlow over Grundy and Wells' decision to go that way...

Interesting that the Pies are to rookie Hudson....after recruiting Lynch and having Jolly and Witts on their list. One wonders if Grundy is in line to get a game this year...I wonder if Lynch will play CHF (!) or maybe Jolly is on his last legs? Maybe Grundy isnt ready yet....permutations...permutations.

Cant really see why they need Hudson if they have 3 rucks ( Jolly, Witts and Grundy ) + Lynch on their list...

Good call on Jolly, I wouldn't be surprised, and Grundy definately isn't ready, for the AFL at least.
Hudson is insurance, both playing and coaching.

Good call on Jolly, I wouldn't be surprised, and Grundy definately isn't ready, for the AFL at least.
Hudson is insurance, both playing and coaching.

Buckley has said he'll be using Lynch to back up Jolly, with Witts having a look, so Grundy was never in the picture.
Now, with Hudson to also help Jolly (that's what Collingwood say), they are going to be stuck with 2 "development prospects" in their 2nds.

Buckley has said he'll be using Lynch to back up Jolly, with Witts having a look, so Grundy was never in the picture.
Now, with Hudson to also help Jolly (that's what Collingwood say), they are going to be stuck with 2 "development prospects" in their 2nds.
Yeah but Huddo will be on the rookie list wont he? May only get elevated in the event that Jolly goes down

Remove this Banner Ad

Back