Traded 40. Jackson Thurlow (2013-2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

You can say that history has proved a decision to be successful or unsuccessful; you can’t say that history has proved a decision to be right or wrong.

The ethical issues you raise involve a whole new and different set of logical issues, including such exotica as the Historian’s Fallacy and Presentism.

Not just history on its own, there would be other factors involved as well.

I think one can use hindsight to claim a moral right or wrongness regarding past events. I don't believe it is just confined to success or less-successful outcomes.

For example, slavery is wrong - it can't be excused in the past (or present) by saying we didn't know better. Newer, or rediscovered understandings (in this case Christian/biblical ones) allowed western society to change its view on the past slavery evils. We look back and say the people were wrong in their decisions; not just more or less successful.

Now it is true, everyone is a product of their time, but there may be information available to us that we miss read or fail to understand, that would have changed the course of our decisions had we understood them. It is not just the evidence/info available for a decision that makes it right or wrong, but how we interpret said info.

Of course in a drafting situation bigfooty posters will never know, b/c we are not privy to the info. We can only make our guesses as best we can - usually in hindsight according to success or not. But that would not automatically absolve the decision makers of any liability for their decision. We just don't know. Which is why we speculate here.

In terms of moral or ethical correctness, one would need to have a foundation for morality, and that is where the modern secular humanist or material naturalist has no grounds forever calling something right or wrong. Here is where I think the Geelong Footy Club parts ways with some modern Australian thinking. It has built its club culture on character first, which is actually derived from Christian program. they are taking morality/or character if you like, into the equations.

This is where the complexity comes in. We are talking about not drafting some due to ethical or moral information/decisions. Will we draft so and so - because of his behavior - which we don't find conducive to club harmony etc?

Enough for me. This takes too long! lol.

Yeah gone the way of a lot of threads on here these days - completely off-track!

I reckon Guthrie is underrated on this board. He has lots of time and poise which is something youngsters often take ahwile to establish. Dont understand why he wasnt in the EF last year, was and still is alot better play than Murdoch IMO

do you think it's due to the fact he's not flashy, I mean he very rarely chooses pizazz while a couple of other new boys like a Smedts will try the baulk?

One major factor he has that is underrated (somewhat) on this board is his use of the pill, he's a brilliant passer and will usually hit a target under pressure more often than not.
He only averaged 1 clanger per game :thumbsu:

As meto suggested, seems to have a lot of things in his favor to become a gun midfielder but I haven't heard much of his endurance so perhaps he hasn't quite got the aerobic capacity to play in the middle just yet.

you correct he doesn't, but i would take a full set of good skills compared to a player with a few elite skills and lacking some basic skills if that makes sense

Back on topic...how pleasing is it that Thurlow said in that article that his goal is being in the side for Round 1 next year? Have to love a kid who has set such lofty goals for himself. :thumbsu:

In terms of moral or ethical correctness, one would need to have a foundation for morality, and that is where the modern secular humanist or material naturalist has no grounds forever calling something right or wrong. Here is where I think the Geelong Footy Club parts ways with some modern Australian thinking. It has built its club culture on character first, which is actually derived from Christian program. they are taking morality/or character if you like, into the equations.
I remember you from the "nothing fails like prayer thread" :)

I don't think people need "religion" to tell them right from wrong. We are born with that. To think otherwise infantilizes us.
Do you really think the Jews were killing each other and raping each other's wives quite happily until some guy came down from a mountain with some slabs of rock?

So, you don't need to borrow from the Christians or anyone else to realize that strong character is fundamental to institutional success.

Go, you secular Catters ;)

I don't think people need "religion" to tell them right from wrong. We are born with that. To think otherwise infantilizes us.
Do you really think the Jews were killing each other and raping wach other's wives quite happily until some guy came down from a mountain with some slabs of rock?

So, you don't need to borrow from the Christians or anyone else to realize that strong character is fundamental to institutional success.

lol. I have wandered the Halls of Darkness over @ Science/Religion/Politics from time to time.

This isn't the time or place, but I can assure you, your post needs a lot of work re theology, history, and philosophy. ;)

Go Catters indeed. :thumbsu: :thumbsu::thumbsu:

(BTW the GFC President is a committed evangelical Xian). ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you really think the Jews were killing each other and raping each other's wives quite happily until some guy came down from a mountain with some slabs of rock?

Woops!!!!!

I must have clicked the wrong link.

Can anyone give me directions to TOTAL FOOTY?

lol. I have wandered the Halls of Darkness over @ Science/Religion/Politics from time to time.

This isn't the time or place, but I can assure you, your post needs a lot of work re theology, history, and philosophy. ;)

Go Catters indeed. :thumbsu: :thumbsu::thumbsu:

(BTW the GFC President is a committed evangelical Xian). ;)

I wandered the Halls of Darkness for 44 years, but I saw the Light again in 2007.:D

Woops!!!!!

I must have clicked the wrong link.

Can anyone give me directions to TOTAL FOOTY?
Football to some is a religion, so sometimes the lines get blurred. I've had to bite my tongue in this thread as I would hate to totally derail this thread completely. Now, back onto the topic of Jackson Thurlow...

I think the fact he's played some VFL will hopefully give me some confidence

Good to see he wants to strive to play in the one's come round 1

Guthrie has pretty much a full skill set.

Smedts and Murdoch don’t but the skills they do have are closer to elite (agility, speed respectively) and as such they stand out more leading people to think they are better players

Skills don't get classified in terms of their 'elite-ness', and pace is a mark of athleticism, not a skill. But I see what you're saying, Smedts and Murdoch both look more impressive because their assets (eh?!) catch the eye more easily.

On Guthrie, I reckon he'll be a great player soon enough. I'm not surprised to hear he averaged only 1 clanger per game, such is his poise and ability to kick the thing. Also believe the Cats made the right decision at the time, to draft him and not Darling. We're still to see whether that decision will be succesful in the long run, but I have a good feeling.

am i the only one who thinks that rubbish show is the closest we have to hell on earth?

back on topic. thurlow - could be some player!

You get the feeling a Wells P16 has a better than average chance of that occurring. At 190cm and a frame that is conducive to building mass he could turn out to be very special.
Great to read that Thurley has contacted him to encourage him to put in the hard yards ( something he admits he didn't) Hopefully Jackson will heed the advice and kudos to Thurley for doing that - takes a bit of character to admit your shortcomings.

Hopefully Jackson will heed the advice and kudos to Thurley for doing that

got to admit that it's a strange mistake I can't seem to shake off just yet...Thurley, Therlow, Thurdlow, am sure after a few senior games I'll have his name down pat :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back