Past #28: Kayne Turner - pick #25 in '14 RD - delisted end '22 - re-listed w/ #39 in '22 RD - delisted end "23 - 111gm/58gl - thx Kayno

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The problem however is that he actually makes Gibbo look like an elite kick. I rate both of them but I can't see Turner playing that role. Small forward for a few years before he builds up a tank to have runs as an inside mid imo.

Turner has excellent skills and they will only improve with time, if he could end up having the same engine as Gibbo he could have a huge impact. It may take a few seasons but I love the idea. Turner is one of the most natural footballers on our list.

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
Turner has excellent skills and they will only improve with time, if he could end up having the same engine as Gibbo he could have a huge impact. It may take a few seasons but I love the idea. Turner is one of the most natural footballers on our list.
He definitely does not have excellent skills; he's hard, he's courageous and for his size he is an outstanding tackler but he doesn't have excellent skills. He puts way too much air into his kicks and he doesn't have any real penetration. A number of games this year, particularly the Adelaide game he turned the ball over for this exact reason. Also contributing to these turnovers was that he sometimes makes poor decisions, however I think this is more down to inexperience than anything else.

Phillyroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles Baby
He definitely does not have excellent skills; he's hard, he's courageous and for his size he is an outstanding tackler but he doesn't have excellent skills. He puts way too much air into his kicks and he doesn't have any real penetration. A number of games this year, particularly the Adelaide game he turned the ball over for this exact reason. Also contributing to these turnovers was that he sometimes makes poor decisions, however I think this is more down to inexperience than anything else.
A number of games?????
Is that a joke??? How many games did he play in?

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
A number of games?????
Is that a joke??? How many games did he play in?
He played 6, so yeah, fair point; I may have over-exaggerated that a bit but I still maintain that he doesn't have great foot skills nor decision making when he has the ball but that should come with experience.

jess_1804

Club Legend
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Of course he doesn't have any penetration in his kicks, have you seen the size of him!? I, personally, wouldn't got writing off his skills just yet. It looked at times like he was trying to do too much with them, I think if he keeps within his limits until he builds up some strength he should be alright.

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He played 6, so yeah, fair point; I may have over-exaggerated that a bit but I still maintain that he doesn't have great foot skills nor decision making when he has the ball but that should come with experience.

Did you see that 40m pass to Brown at CHF, I think it was the Geelong Semi?

If they are not good skills, I can not wait for to learn how to kick a pin point pass.

Phillyroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles Baby
He reached us because everyone thought he would still be there the following year, due to his limited sample size of games at TAC level. Did he miss a few passes last year, Yep.... But he is hardly on his own there! He makes the team play better, and he has ridiculous potential to improve every single part of his game! If someone offered us a pick within the range 5-15 next year for him, I would be bloody disappointed if we took the trade. He is the Archer of this side and will be here for another 10 years dragging blokes along with him.

KillaKanga

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 9, 2011
If I'm online I'm at work!
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Boston CelticsRedSoxBruins
Did you see that 40m pass to Brown at CHF, I think it was the Geelong Semi?

If they are not good skills, I can not wait for to learn how to kick a pin point pass.
His pass to Brown for his second in that run in the 3rd against * was very tidy.

The kid does lack a little penetration, but as he builds so will his technique and distance. Decision making will only improve with more games. Just wait till he plays 10 ;)

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
He reached us because everyone thought he would still be there the following year, due to his limited sample size of games at TAC level. Did he miss a few passes last year, Yep.... But he is hardly on his own there! He makes the team play better, and he has ridiculous potential to improve every single part of his game! If someone offered us a pick within the range 5-15 next year for him, I would be bloody disappointed if we took the trade. He is the Archer of this side and will be here for another 10 years dragging blokes along with him.

His pass to Brown for his second in that run in the 3rd against * was very tidy.

The kid does lack a little penetration, but as he builds so will his technique and distance. Decision making will only improve with more games. Just wait till he plays 10 ;)
Completely agree with both of these assessments. I didn't intend to pick apart his disposal, I don't think he's a poor kick or decision maker, just not a great one at this stage. Obviously he more than makes up for this in just about every other aspect of his game and besides this will hopefully improve with experience anyway. It really is a long off-season!

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
Have a look at the two pinpoint passes to Big Benny Brown in the QF to set up crucial goals and then tell me his kicking skills are poor.

Not only were they magnificent kicks, they were kicked by a schoolie in front of 78,000 people in the most intense situation any of those players have ever experienced in their lives.

The kid is a beauty!

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2012
Waiting for Josh Kelly #2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Have a look at the two pinpoint passes to Big Benny Brown in the QF to set up crucial goals and then tell me his kicking skills are poor.

Not only were they magnificent kicks, they were kicked by a schoolie in front of 90,000 people in the most intense situation any of those players have ever experienced in their lives.

The kid is a beauty!

78,000, but yeah.

Back