TAC Cup​
17​
8.06​
7.06​
34.88​
10​

*Average

The inside word
He's a super versatile 196cm key position player who transitioned from attack into defence this year before being moved into the midfield. Toohey's a glorious left foot shot at goal who reads the ball well in flight. He took out the Oakleigh Chargers' best and fairest in 2013 after averaging more than 15 disposals a game. As well as an impressive vertical leap, Toohey has a huge engine that kicks into gear quickly and he ran a 3.05 sec 20m sprint at the state combine.

How's the booming left foot goal in his AFL highlight package from inside the Center square! Looks capable of playing both ends.

His highlights reel certainly show he can take a good contested mark, long accurate left foot and seems fairly agile for his size.
Lots to work with there , and a ranga to boot.

Hopefully among all these versatile young talls (Blicavs, Walker, Brown, Hamling and Toohey) we can find a couple who can make the grade to become very good AFL players.

Just been searching through the BF boards.
Pretty much every board was discussing this guy for the ND and rookie drafts.

It seems Richmond were right into him. Here's a bit of what they were saying. (for those that give a stuff}

James Toohey (VIC – KPP) My Choice
Height: 196cm, Weight: 96kg, DOB: 27/03/1994
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: Rookie - undrafted
Profile: Key position player who can play down either end. Has a long 60m kick on him. Strong build. Has excellent athleticism. Has the ability to win the 1v1 contests. Overager who is still developing his game and has some attributes but hasn’t really shown that he can take over games just yet.

it has been reported we are interested in James Toohey, which is interesting as we have a plethora of Tall Utility types

1. James Toohey (Oakleigh - 197cm/96kg) - 19yo who won Oakleigh's B&F. Has a mammoth kick on him and is super competitive and athletic. Needs to still improve defensively but gave Apeness a touch up recently. Only moved back this year.

I've been a big fan of James Toohey mainly due to the fact that he's a stand-up, smart kid by all accounts, but also because at 197cm and 96kgs, and already 19, if a couple of Delaney, Bruce and Fisher went down, we could still avoid returning to Gwilt and Simpkin as our KPDs. Toohey can also play well forward, and it's that kind of versatility we should target IMO.

Speaking of, the more I read of James Toohey, the more I'd love to Rookie him and see what he's got - Duxed St Kevins, awarded in the Premier's Awards for VCE for top marks, was late to footy having grown up in Sydney, is a very big lad already at 197cm and 96kgs (as listed on afl.com.au), won the Oakleigh B&F as a KPD capable of being thrown forward and kicking goals and the AFL site has reasonable wraps on him:

James Toohey is a project player who could be a good key defender. He is a very good athlete, moves like a midfielder, has a good left foot, but just needs to improve his marking and his strength in the contest. Defensive game has along way to as well. He was an overage prospect this year but is more of a rookie chance for mine, still he has potential with his athletic ability.

I also think that James Toohey is excellent value at 49 if we are after another KPD. He has had a huge year playing as a key defender and also pinch hitting as a key forward. I see him playing as a KPD in the AFL. Massive left foot on him and a fantastic mark. His year was crowned off with winning the Charges F & B. There isn't a lot of love for him on BF but I seriously rate the kid . His 20 mtr sprint at 3.05 is pretty impressive for a kid that's 197 cm and 96 kg he is pretty agile as well. Huge and accurate kick on the kid slots them regularly from outside 55 and very strong in contested marking. I think he is a real smokie.

I've just had a look at the vid.
I was trying to work out who he moves like.

At first I was thinking he lumbers like a ruck. And a bit of it reminded me of stynes.
But I reckon he is a lot like Cloke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back