Player Watch #41: Mabior Chol - FA to GC

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm really excited about what this kid could be. Has the size, athleticism, speed and skills to be a top class ruckman in the next 3-4 years. If we can let him play ruck in the vfl for the majority of the next few years, i think he'll be dominating that league come 2018. then he can make the jump to replacing Ivvy.

and looking at testing at the draft, we've definitely recruited players with explosive pace, that can take off quickly and repeatedly

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-11/sudaneseborn-ruckman-equals-nic-nat-combine-record
30m repeat sprints
1. Daniel Rioli - 24.15 seconds
2. Mabior Chol - 24.30 -wow for a ruckman
3. Oleg Markov - 24.32

Why did he go so late in the draft?

There are a number of factors.

The bottom line is whilst he has some tremendous athletic and some good football skills, the majority of recruiters think there is very real chance he will not cut the mustard. Why?

1. He is short for a ruck - but he does have a tremendous leap .... meaning ???? marks for recruiters
2. He is WAY to skinny to be a ruck now and in the next 5 years he may not even be able to put on enough weight. = Big Risk, esp combined with 1.

So then the recruiters would be asking - can he play another position. The is apparently a big possible

For mine, I have an inkling he will become a CHB - or I certiainly hope he can. I just have silly visions of him being the next Dustin Fletcher. Similar height, and weight - and some similar skills... and yes I know I am dreaming. As for him being a #1 or even backup Ruck...I have BIG doubts.

So the real chance of making it is probably a fair bit lower than probable, but he does have a real chance and good luck to him!

There are a number of factors.

The bottom line is whilst he has some tremendous athletic and some good football skills, the majority of recruiters think there is very real chance he will not cut the mustard. Why?

1. He is short for a ruck - but he does have a tremendous leap .... meaning ???? marks for recruiters
2. He is WAY to skinny to be a ruck now and in the next 5 years he may not even be able to put on enough weight. = Big Risk, esp combined with 1.

So then the recruiters would be asking - can he play another position. The is apparently a big possible

For mine, I have an inkling he will become a CHB - or I certiainly hope he can. I just have silly visions of him being the next Dustin Fletcher. Similar height, and weight - and some similar skills... and yes I know I am dreaming. As for him being a #1 or even backup Ruck...I have BIG doubts.

So the real chance of making it is probably a fair bit lower than probable, but he does have a real chance and good luck to him!

Not sure about how big he needs to be to play Ruck, Paddy Ryder is not massive but I agree a bit more mass and muscle definition would help. Even if he developed his body like Majak Daw with his slightly different physique it might be enough

I'm really excited about what this kid could be. Has the size, athleticism, speed and skills to be a top class ruckman in the next 3-4 years. If we can let him play ruck in the vfl for the majority of the next few years, i think he'll be dominating that league come 2018. then he can make the jump to replacing Ivvy.

and looking at testing at the draft, we've definitely recruited players with explosive pace, that can take off quickly and repeatedly

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-11/sudaneseborn-ruckman-equals-nic-nat-combine-record
30m repeat sprints
1. Daniel Rioli - 24.15 seconds
2. Mabior Chol - 24.30 -wow for a ruckman
3. Oleg Markov - 24.32
and I just had a look at the clip about him/interview.....his kicking left and right foot looked amazing...such style and effective (i think)

and I just had a look at the clip about him/interview.....his kicking left and right foot looked amazing...such style and effective (i think)

He has a high ball drop for mine - which may (may not) cause problems under pressure ... Need to look more closely.

Presumably this is correctable though.

Edwards had the most awful ball drop in the league 6 years ago but is ok now... For example

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wtf. You talkin about brudder , pls explain

As he stands out amongst the boys, he was easy to watch. Skinnier than the others.

Watched the way he lead for the ball, how he dropped the ball whilst kicking and generally how he carried himself. Looked like a footballer as it was natural. As opposed to some of the "athletes" we see drafted but don't make it. The innate things like kicking were natural to him. Kicks both sides to the point we weren't sure which side was dominant. Excellent hands. Knows were to be in the drills...

Lot of potential, but time will tell... Needs a preseason or three and to eat a kg of meat daily to put on the bulk he needs...

Should go down well with the Grog squad......Mybeer?

I'm fairly sure I've been hearing it pronounced that way.:)

As he stands out amongst the boys, he was easy to watch. Skinnier than the others.

Watched the way he lead for the ball, how he dropped the ball whilst kicking and generally how he carried himself. Looked like a footballer as it was natural. As opposed to some of the "athletes" we see drafted but don't make it. The innate things like kicking were natural to him. Kicks both sides to the point we weren't sure which side was dominant. Excellent hands. Knows were to be in the drills...

Lot of potential, but time will tell... Needs a preseason or three and to eat a kg of meat daily to put on the bulk he needs...
Cheers for the update , good to hear

Remove this Banner Ad

Back