Opinion 41. Nathan Foley

Remove this Banner Ad

A little known fact about Nathan Foley is that he was quite the performer prior to his career as a footballer. Most Tigerheads would be surprised to learn that he spent 9 years on the Children’s show Hi-5! Here is the photographic proof*.
Hi-5Foley.jpg
If you need further evidence, feel free to Google the name Nathan Foley to find out more. Thankfully he gave up taking growth hormones before moving onto his new profession.
Because this is a footy forum, I’ll focus mainly on his football but it’s probably worth noting that early in his career, the combination of his speed and agility on the football field coupled with his previous mentioned performance skills landed him a cameo role in ‘The Road Runner’. Here is a still of the footage*.
FoleyCoyote_Sml.jpg
Warner Brothers offered him a recurring role however he decided to focus on his football. His well documented achilles troubles would have proven problematic to be a successful sidekick to the Road Runner in any case.
Ok, let’s talk football………..
I wouldn’t imagine there would be too many more heart warming sights to a Richmond supporter in 2013 than to see a fully fit Nathan Foley power his way from a centre bounce, taking 2-3 bounces before perfectly weighting a pass that lands easily on the chest of Jack, Vickery, Edwards or one of the many other forward options that we will have this year or banging it over their heads through for a goal. Like this……

I don’t believe a side missing Foley will decide whether we make the final 8 or not in 2013. I do believe that players like him fully fit at finals time will determine how much damage can be done to other teams during the finals. Despite the Tigers improved depth and natural improvement in many of our younger players, genuine line breaking players like Foley are extremely hard to find and come into their own when the heat of finals pressure hits. If anyone needs any reassurance of that, get your hands on a copy of the last State of Origin match played (possibly ever). He was awesome in that match and was amongst the best against the best the AFL had to offer.

* Images may or may not have been Photoshopped

Well I'll be damned . Just a pleasure to read . Great effort.

Another fact about Foley you guys didn't know about . In year 2 Foley made a black and yellow toilet roll holder in Art out of an old pair of black footy socks , decorated with spray painted yellow pieces if uncooked macaroni.

That marvellous piece if art work still holds pride of place in his parents shitter today! Well done Nathan !

The Seinfeld puffy shirt episode... :p
Great stuff Johnno... :thumbsu:

From here on in, whenever in post a puff piece I will use that as my alert!

Is he a better No. 41 than Scott Turner?

Different players 15 years apart in age...One has injury problems, and one gave them...
But when people ask "Remember when...", both will be mentioned in some form... :thumbsu:

Is he a better No. 41 than Scott Turner?

Scott Turner had one unbelievable year (1995) and was prob 2nd in line for the AA Full Back (behind Silvagni - the eventual FB in the Team of the Century). Around that he had a some decent seasons but he also got pantsed on quite a few occasions as well.

You would remember him well Redman because he very nearly legally killed one of your players in a big final in 95.

I would say Foley is already ahead of Turner but is still only 26.

Scott Turner had one unbelievable year (1995) and was prob 2nd in line for the AA Full Back (behind Silvagni - the eventual FB in the Team of the Century). Around that he had a some decent seasons but he also got pantsed on quite a few occasions as well.

You would remember him well Redman because he very nearly legally killed one of your players in a big final in 95.

I was born in 1991 and my Footy memory only goes as far back as 1999.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was born in 1991 and my Footy memory only goes as far back as 1999.

Ok well You Tube the highlights from the 95' 2nd Semi Final. It was one of the biggest hip and shoulders I have ever seen.

Attachments

• PuffyShirt.jpg
    PuffyShirt.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 116

I remember watching Turner have to front up against Lockett, Dunstall, Ablett...etc, every week it seemed he had some monster full forward to deal with. Sometimes he did well, sometimes they kicked 15 on him.

I remember watching Turner have to front up against Lockett, Dunstall, Ablett...etc, every week it seemed he had some monster full forward to deal with. Sometimes he did well, sometimes they kicked 15 on him.

I was there the day Dunstall kicked 17. Scotty Turner played that day......:(

I know I haven't been to visit for a while Nathan but I just wanted to say that I think you're doing a great job in your comeback from injury. One of the few blokes from the weekends game who stood up.

A big second half of the year awaits you!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back