Delisted #41: Will Hams - Delisted - 28/10

You can't fault his endeavour.

Literally needs to put on about 10 kilos. Pushed off the ball with complete and utter ease. Someone pushed him today and he went about 10 meters.

I couldn't really fault any of it, came on and ran like a good sub should do (got let down by delivery when he burnt off his man twice) went at every contest at a million miles an hour like I expected him to do and quickly summed up that he had to get it forward any way he saw fit.

If he can work up to a body something like Howlett's got and still retain the running power we'll have something pretty handy.

bombadeer

All Australian
Jul 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Thought he was impressive - fierce in the contest, would have liked to have seen him out there for the full game. Hopefully we will next week!!

Into the 21 next week. Doesn't give us size around the ball but gives us run and grunt.

He's also smarter than I initially gave him credit for

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Happy that Hams gets a full game - Want to see how good he is with his hands - It's a tantalising prospect.
Small sample size but he was clean, quick and creative on a couple of occasions last week by hand....it actually took me by surprise a little as didn't expect it from him. Hopefully it wasn't a fluke.

I want to see if he can spread and win some ball on the outside - an inside mid who can run would add a lot of balance to the line-up.

So, have we got it out of our system?

Can we get back to bringing in someone who can make a difference at AFL level.

Yes because all good players never had a bad day out in their first 20 or so games.:rolleyes:
If we went by your system no bloke short of a super star would ever have a career over 5 games .....
Was good against the Saints when he came on, was ordinary last night.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Yes because all good players never had a bad day out in their first 20 or so games.:rolleyes:
If we went by your system no bloke short of a super star would ever have a career over 5 games .....
Was good against the Saints when he came on, was ordinary last night.

That's just garbage.

He's a 75kg inside midfielder. What do you want him to do?

Why are we either not playing youth at all or playing the kids (e.g. Ashby and Hams) whose form is no better than a handful of others and who add nothing to the senior team?

Last edited:
That's just garbage.

He's a 75kg inside midfielder. What do you want him to do?

Why are we either not playing youth at all of playing the kids (e.g. Ashby and Hams) whose form is no better than a handful of others and who add nothing to the senior team?

What do i want him to do. I want to see him play some games, get some experience and then maybe a spell. I think he can play, he needs 4 or 5 games in a row. If he struggles next week and the week after then he goes back.

Who else do we play, Kav who is not much bigger ? and as an inside mid his body is the issue.
Obrein who is good at VFL level but just short of AFL level ?
Fantasia who i think can play as well but is not ready body wise as well?
Name who we should be playing ?
He was in form , he got a game.
The only other bloke worthy of a game who i think is ready was Browne.
We are not a premiership side. While we should not just be gifting games if they are in the best in the VFL for a few weeks then they should be looked at and if they get 4 or 5 games then maybe we are looking good going forward.

efcboy

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2007
Essendon
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
Admire his effort and courage but just does not have enough strings to his bow to compensate for being undersized. He's not quick, not skilful, doesn't read play that well. He's just a good battler who has a crack at the contest. Find him similar to Marc Bullen in terms of talent. I don't hate him but ultimately is a list clogger.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
What do i want him to do. I want to see him play some games, get some experience and then maybe a spell. I think he can play, he needs 4 or 5 games in a row. If he struggles next week and the week after then he goes back.

Who else do we play, Kav who is not much bigger ? and as an inside mid his body is the issue.
Obrein who is good at VFL level but just short of AFL level ?
Fantasia who i think can play as well but is not ready body wise as well?
Name who we should be playing ?
He was in form , he got a game.
The only other bloke worthy of a game who i think is ready was Browne.
We are not a premiership side. While we should not just be gifting games if they are in the best in the VFL for a few weeks then they should be looked at and if they get 4 or 5 games then maybe we are looking good going forward.

Kav is almost AFL ready, has at least developed the engine for it and plays inside with guile more than pure attack on the footy, which is not to say that he is soft, it more like Cotchin plays inside (so his being light is not the same as Hams being light). He has the running capacity to be the sort of inside midfielder that we don't really have (which is even more important than having outside speed).

Fantasia is another who is more ready because of the way he plays despite his size. He can play on a wing or forward to goo effect in more 'outside' roles and unlike Colyer will still attack the ball.

Langford is a forward and prepared to move.

Browne has been close to as good as anyone else. Adds some size, run and class. All he should need to do this afternoon is get through the game.

Aylett is the player for me. Has every attribute you could want to add to the middle. There is obviously some over complicated and ineffective garbage that the coaching panel is looking for which explains his predicament.

Shame Dalgleish is injured.

Admire his effort and courage but just does not have enough strings to his bow to compensate for being undersized. He's not quick, not skilful, doesn't read play that well. He's just a good battler who has a crack at the contest. Find him similar to Marc Bullen in terms of talent. I don't hate him but ultimately is a list clogger.

Based on 4 games, 2 as sub at AFL level and 15 VFL games where he has been in the best 6 times.
To say he does not read the game well is just wrong. They only thing that will stop him from making it at AFL level is his under 80kg size for the role he plays.
He reads the play good enough for an inside mid and his hands inside are as good as David Myers.
He is actually nothing like Bullen other than size.

efcboy

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2007
Essendon
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
Based on 4 games, 2 as sub at AFL level and 15 VFL games where he has been in the best 6 times.
To say he does not read the game well is just wrong. They only thing that will stop him from making it at AFL level is his under 80kg size for the role he plays.
He reads the play good enough for an inside mid and his hands inside are as good as David Myers.
He is actually nothing like Bullen other than size.

I've seen nearly all of his AFL/VFL matches and as I say I don't hate him but just don't see him having enough talent. Bullen was actually taller but similar in terms of talent. Myers has far superior strength to stand up in a contest that Hams will never have. Hams is not the type of mid we need with Watson, Myers, hocking, Heppell doing those roles. Of course Myers and hocking are missing but their roles are providing more strength at the contest - hams doesn't have this. Kavanagh doesn't either but he is physically stronger than hams.

In terms of reading the play all Hams really does is get to the bottom of packs for a scrap. He isn't great at knowing when to run forward of the ball or a kick behind play. The good players like Heppell are decent in close but known when to hang back to intercept or go forward to get on the chain of link passes.

I've seen nearly all of his AFL/VFL matches and as I say I don't hate him but just don't see him having enough talent. Bullen was actually taller but similar in terms of talent. Myers has far superior strength to stand up in a contest that Hams will never have. Hams is not the type of mid we need with Watson, Myers, hocking, Heppell doing those roles. Of course Myers and hocking are missing but their roles are providing more strength at the contest - hams doesn't have this. Kavanagh doesn't either but he is physically stronger than hams.

In terms of reading the play all Hams really does is get to the bottom of packs for a scrap. He isn't great at knowing when to run forward of the ball or a kick behind play. The good players like Heppell are decent in close but known when to hang back to intercept or go forward to get on the chain of link passes.

hams is not the type of mid we need? someone with a big tank that can run and link on the outside is exactly who we need

It does not bother me how much you have seen. Lots of people see lots of games and i never was using not seeing him as a factor in what i said. I have seen 11 of his 15 VFL games and i know this because i keep my notes from all the games i have seen. He may not be the current mid we need but Watson can not go on forever and this bloke has shown he is very good in and under the packs and finding a target.
Comparing him to Heppell is a bit rich as Heppell is close to elite. I do not think anyone is saying Hams will ever be elite.
As for never being as strong as Myers, well he does not have to be, he can already scrap the ball out of the middle effectively in the VFL. He only has to marginally improve his strength over all.

I simply do not agree with the call he is a list clogger at this stage. He has not played enough footy to call either way yet but he has shown some decent form when he is on the park. I agree he needs to develop his outside game. But he has also spent a 12 month period out of the game and training so effectively he is a second year player.

Kav is almost AFL ready, has at least developed the engine for it and plays inside with guile more than pure attack on the footy, which is not to say that he is soft, it more like Cotchin plays inside (so his being light is not the same as Hams being light). He has the running capacity to be the sort of inside midfielder that we don't really have (which is even more important than having outside speed).

Would have had no problem if they went with Kav but it was line ball. Hams was very good against Sandy and good when he came on as sub last week. On top of that he had a reasonable first up Nab game and a good practice match before the Sandy game. He was selected on form but i would have had no issue with Kav being the one selected at the same time. Would also say though that one of Kavs issues is getting outside finding the ball and using that speed. His best footy has been inside so far.

Fantasia is another who is more ready because of the way he plays despite his size. He can play on a wing or forward to goo effect in more 'outside' roles and unlike Colyer will still attack the ball.

Must have been line ball as they took Fantasia to Perth but in reality his form was not as good in the lead up games and was playing more half back.

Langford is a forward and prepared to move.

Went as an emg but was dropped because they thought we had too many talls last week so read into that what you want but i do not see how that is a factor in Hams selection. Different role. Would have been happy to see him stay in. Would have thought Merritt came in for Langford.

Browne has been close to as good as anyone else. Adds some size, run and class. All he should need to do this afternoon is get through the game.

My read on Brown is simply he was a couple of games behind the others in his comeback. Did not really play until the last VFL practice match so he would now only be ready having played a few games. have no problem at all if he gets in. I want to see him at senior level.

Aylett is the player for me. Has every attribute you could want to add to the middle. There is obviously some over complicated and ineffective garbage that the coaching panel is looking for which explains his predicament. .

Not sure about complicated and ineffective garbage from the coaching panel. Purely a list management decision so they could use draft picks 17 and 20 plus get Cooney in and keep Chapman. If he was AFL ready he would have been scouted by other clubs (which i am sure he was) and picked off as we left him exposed and everyone else knew he was there. He may have something for the future, i like what he does but if he was an AFL ready player he would have been picked by someone in the draft.

Shame Dalgleish is injured.

Yes it is but not sure how that has any bearing on Hams getting a game. Also plays at half back so would more likely be competing with Gleeson or Dempsey for a game.

Back