#23 - Charlie Cameron

Remove this Banner Ad

What's interesting is that despite Battersby's strong SANFL performances this year, the Crows still rated Charlie Cameron ahead of him. Of course the Crows might have sussed the market and determined that Battersby would still be there at 24 anyway, but it shows they must really rate Cameron for what he can add to our side.

I like this selection, as others have said we have Betts now, which means we will become pretty dependent on him in the next 3 or 4 years and losing him then would be a loss, especially if he becomes an important part of our game plan.

Here we have someone who can learn the role from Eddie who has been one of the best small forwards of the last 5 years and if it turns out, play along side and then replace later on. Obviously a rookie so could disappear in a couple of years if it doesn't work out but Betts himself was a PSD or Rookie draft pick I believe.

Another poster made the point about VB being our only other Western Australian player. My understanding was that we had more or less withdrawn our recruiting resources from WA, choosing to focus on SA and Victoria. Is that still the case?

And if so, does it mean that we have seen less of this guy than other draftees and are possibly drafting on less information?

Or the opposite, does it mean that we were extra keen on him and made sure we saw enough of him to pick him?

I'm not sure there's any answers for these questions, just interesting that we have ventured back into WA.

From the video on AFL site, looks to have great clean skills, one touch pickups, sticky tackles, fast- breaking lines, reads the play well (H/O to advantage), good kick from 50 for goal and from 40 near the boundary, ability to drop his eyes, kicked a M23 classic off the outside of his right boot short into the 50 to a leading teammate.

Looks a beauty :thumbsu:

Might have another role at the club.....teaching some of our dud tacklers a thing or two....

http://www.wafootball.com.au/news/2800/wafl-player-draft-profiles
Charlie Cameron
Club: Swan Districts / Saints Newman
D.O.B: 5.7.94
Height: 178cm
Weight: 69kg
Small forward who plays a physical brand of football and displays an appetite for the contest. His ability to apply enormous defensive pressure to the opposition is a feature of his game. Has very clean hands and leg speed. Averaged 13 disposals and five tackles during the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. Has a background in rugby and this is clearly evident in his ability to lay strong tackles. Played 15 games for Swan Districts at senior level in season 2013.

love this selection

for years it seemed that our recruiting staff preferred to recruit safe footballers and avoided that x-factor type of footballer

this year we have added genuine excitment with Betts and if this kid gets it together both him and Betts could be terrorising the opposition back 6 for years to come

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry for the intrusion on your board.

Charlie moved from up north down to Swans.

He's still learning the game but he does have pressure and a bit of goal nous.

He's also a good bloke who will work hard, so I think you guys have picked well.

Sorry for the intrusion on your board.

Charlie moved from up north down to Swans.

He's still learning the game but he does have pressure and a bit of goal nous.

He's also a good bloke who will work hard, so I think you guys have picked well.

what exactly do you mean "still learning"?

ahh, funny i actually thought he looked a rugby player when i saw a side-on picture of him a few hours ago.

So how long has he been focused on real football?

He only moved to Swans in 2012 for Colts and was playing up north at 15.

So approx 4 years.

Thanks for your insight mate, starting to sound like Charlie's ceiling is very high with further development.:thumbsu:

It very much is Bicks, upside for you guys is that he has scope to develop and he works hard.

and if it doesn't work out he's only a rookie pick.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2013-11-27/crows-recruiters-rate-rookies

Pick No.7 - Charlie Cameron
Position: Small forward
Height: 183cm
Weight: 72kg
Born: 5/7/94
Home club: Swan Districts

“We would’ve been happy to take Charlie in the National Draft. He was in the mix at pick No.46 (used to select Riley Knight), so we’re rapt to get him as a rookie. He’s only played between 30-40 games of footy. He went to Swan Districts hoping to get a game in the colts, but he played every game in the seniors this year and was selected to represent WA at the Under-18 National Championships. We’ve been keen to get some speed into our group and Charlie has serious speed.
“He loves tackling and creates a lot of goals through his forward pressure. He had nine tackles in one game in the WAFL. He can take a good mark for a little fella – I’ve seen him sit on top of a pack and take a hanger. He’s a chasing, hard-working, tackling small forward in the Eddie Betts/Jared Petrenko mould. Hopefully, Eddie, Jared and also Ian Callinan can take Charlie under their wings and really help bring him along.” – Hamish Ogilvie and Phil Bunn

I don't know... he looked very slight, but not short.

Wonder if he'll bulk up or if he'll remain that size?

Funnily enough despite the AFL draft profile on Charlie (and the AFC rookie article) listing him as 183cm, the WAFL 2013 draft profiles list him as 178cm which seems a little closer to what I was expecting. Either way, perfect heigh for a crumbing forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back