Delisted 42. Ryan Bathie (2011-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: US College basketballer Ryan Bathie

A saints supporter posted that we'd signed him 25 days ago !!

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=762472&page=2

Geelong has signed Ryan Bathie, 23, originally from Melton as a mature age rookie.

Bathie, is a 6’ 4” talented basketball player having played for Nicholls State University in Louisiana before returning to Australia to play for the Melbourne Tigers in the NBL.

This year he played for the Swinburne Kilsyth Cobras in the SEABL league. Bathie played for the Australian Under-18 basketball team and was member of the Australian Youth Olympics team that won the bronze medal.

If true, I like.

Seems to have some talent, and while he'd need to learn the game, punts like these are what the rookie list is for, and we could use an athletic big man if it works out.

If true, we should know just before the rookie draft, because he has to be pre selected (i.e. we announce that we are taking him, and he comes to us with our final rookie pick, as per all 'international' rookies).

This is a massive trend in the NFL right now - taking players from basketball and turning them to footy / NFL.

Antonio Gates from SD Chargers is a prominent example. Guys with all the physical tangibles just not the playing history - ball skills are ball skills...you either have them or you don't....

For a cheap gamble, not a bad theory.....

Go Catters:thumbsu::D

I wish they'd recruit one of those big tall mobile Afro American Basketballers. That would be cool.

Ah yes, so long as he's not one of the sort to cry and fake injuries! ;) (sorry vegas)

But, LeBron, GFC awaits you :D

Seriously, Bathie's probably pretty mobile, just white man mobile. (not that I've ever seen him play)

I wish they'd recruit one of those big tall mobile Afro American Basketballers. That would be cool.

We can't afford them. Even a chump NBA player would be on more coin than most, if not at all AFL players due to the very small lists. Of course there are plenty of good college athletes who never make it to the Pros, but scouting them out would be a task of gargantuan proportions.

Alot of NBA players wouldnt be able to keep up with AFL players. Le Bron James is almost 120kg. His knees would buckle after a few games.

We can't afford them. Even a chump NBA player would be on more coin than most, if not at all AFL players due to the very small lists. Of course there are plenty of good college athletes who never make it to the Pros, but scouting them out would be a task of gargantuan proportions.

Why not grab some of guys that come out here for NBL and give them a go , let the local basketball guys do some of the work for you. They would already have a fair list of players to look at. Anybody playing NBL would be well under what AFL could offer. The Dragons had a guy in their last season (Donta Smith) who had some moves which would liked to seen in a football game. Different game but some of the guards athleticism would put some of our ruckmen to shame.

Alot of NBA players wouldnt be able to keep up with AFL players. Le Bron James is almost 120kg. His knees would buckle after a few games.

Fair point but just like with the recruits like CMH from NRL , you would train up to playing fitness for the game your playing. The K's required would shed size naturally. If James played he would be competing against guys like Sandlilands and Mumford so he would play at and around the 100-110.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair point but just like with the recruits like CMH from NRL , you would train up to playing fitness for the game your playing. The K's required would shed size naturally. If James played he would be competing against guys like Sandlilands and Mumford so he would play at and around the 100-110.

There would be alot of conditioning involved. But could you imagine having Le Bron line up in the ruck against Sandilands. Gold.

I think that AFL teams may not have to recruit Afro-Americans in the near future. I lived in North Geelong for a few years before recently shifting the Geelong West. What I noticed in that suburb was the amount of tall young Sudanese kids.

They are at present occupied with soccer and basketball, but as they become encultured into the Aussie ways I can see them being very good AFL players. What I noticed about them was their fantastic athleticism and ball skills.
I am sure that there will be at least a few very good Sudanese kids playing at AFL level within this decade.

Ryan Bathie is originally from Melton. I just spoke to a friend who has known him for a number of years. Phenominal athlete apparently, good size, interesting to see how he goes..

If he turns out like Tippett or Brogan i'll be happy

Hey guys, in today's age in the scoreboard section it has the full list lodgement for every club and it confirms 'R Bathie, 3 year non registered* rookie', so I think we can safely assume this is happening. Not sure if the club will announce it soon given the rookie draft isn't until December, but if they've lodged the paperwork with the AFL, which they had to do yesterday, as that was the rookie deadline, we've obviously pre selected him.

Welcome to GFC Ryan :thumbsu:

(hopefully he can teach Blake a thing or two about athleticism :D)

*for anyone confused as to what non-registered means, in this context it simply means he hasn't played in any registered football competition in aust in the last 3 years, and as such is eligible to be pre selected as a rookie without having to go through the draft. Port snared an ex college basketballer the same way last year. The pre selection is finalised pre draft, and then he comes to us with our last pick in the rookie draft, so now we only have 3 'live' picks, not 4.

EDIT: further confirmation of Bathie's addition and our other list changes here:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-clubs-updated-player-lists/story-e6frf9jf-1225945367592

I think that AFL teams may not have to recruit Afro-Americans in the near future. I lived in North Geelong for a few years before recently shifting the Geelong West. What I noticed in that suburb was the amount of tall young Sudanese kids.

They are at present occupied with soccer and basketball, but as they become encultured into the Aussie ways I can see them being very good AFL players. What I noticed about them was their fantastic athleticism and ball skills.
I am sure that there will be at least a few very good Sudanese kids playing at AFL level within this decade.

Haha, you know North Geelong is full of Croatian's and others from southern Europe right? If they go to north geelong high school they wont even see a footy there.

They will see plenty of Football, just not the Australian version. :D

Haha, you know North Geelong is full of Croatian's and others from southern Europe right? If they go to north geelong high school they wont even see a footy there.

Some of them may make the journey across the Ballarat Road and pull on a Bell Park footy jumper.(10 minute walk) That club has produced a few good players.

Well isn't it lucky that there is also a large Sudanese community south of the river in Belmont. They are predominately from Anglo-Celtic back ground in Belmont and the leafy suburb of Highton. South of the river is also the home of the current Power GFL club. Give it time.

We are getting off the track a bit but...

http://www.afl.com.au/afl/vfl players/tabid/16679/default.aspx

Croatia: Adrian Barich, Alan Didak, Marc Dragicevic, Jon Dorotich ,Damien Gaspar, Darren Gaspar, Travis Gaspar, Brent Grgic, Ilija Grgic, Allen Jakovich, Glen Jakovich, Stephen Jurica, Ivan Maric, Matthew Pavlich, Val Perovic, Steven Salopek, Craig Starcevich, Peter Sumich, Jacob Surjan, Scott Watters

Greece: Ang Christou, James Condos, Josh Francou, Paul Koulouriotis, Anthony Koutoufides, Angelo Lekkas, Zeno Tzatsaris, Spiro & Tony Malakelis, Athas Hrysoulakis, Con Gorozidis, Peter Kanis, Spiro Kourkoumelis, Andrew Lukimitis, Steve Malaxos, Daniel Metropolis, Albert, Alby, Charlie Pannam & Vasil
Varlamos

Italy: Steven Alessio, Ron Barassi Sr, Ron Barassi Jr, Scott Camporeale, Matthew Capuano, Blake Caracella, Andrew Carrazzo, Vin Catoggio, Nick Dal Santo, Danny Delre, Brett Deledio, Andrew Dimattina, Paul Dimattina, Robert Dipierdomenico, Brendan Fevola, Anthony Franchina, Daniel Giansiracusa, Brent Guerra, Anthony Koutoufides (Italian mother, Greek father), Tony Liberatore, Paul Licuria (Italian father, Spanish mother), Phil Manassa, Al Martello, Peter Matera (Italian father, Aboriginal mother), Phillip Matera (Italian father, Aboriginal mother), Wally Matera (Italian father, Aboriginal mother), Mark Mercuri, Mark Merenda, Joe Misiti, Leigh Montagna, Romano Negri, Mark Ricciuto, Guy Rigoni, Michael Rischitelli, Anthony Rocca, Saverio Rocca, Sergio Silvagni, Stephen Silvagni, Andrew Leoncelli

Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia: Nick Malceski, Peter Berbakov, Mark Nicoski, John Gastev, Peter Daicos, John Rombotis, Jason Trianides

• Ukraine: Alex Jesaulenko, Steven Kolyniuk, Steven Kretiuk, Shane Woewodin

Sudan: Majak Daw

Daw will not be the last.

Poland: Brian Sierakowski, David Sierakowski, David Wojcinski

and pods and the porpoise....pretty sure kretiuk and kosi (both got that real blockhead look) are actually polski names as well.

what about this which i came across:

*Phil Krakouer & *Jim Krakouer-Great-Grand Father was born & bred in the town of Krakow- Poland, moved to England then arrived on the first fleet, origin of surname is taken from the polish town of Krakow-Source-The Book ---Brother Boys...

http://en.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/1617746

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back