Past #42: Scott McMahon - club won't renew contract (29/9) & Loose retires (13/10) - thanks Loose

Remove this Banner Ad

Rockstar6

Premiership Player
Dec 23, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Utah Jazz
There was a time when he was an automatic selection in our 22 a few years back. What happened? Sadly, he will either be delisted or hang up the boots

There was a time when he was an automatic selection in our 22 a few years back. What happened? Sadly, he will either be delisted or hang up the boots
He had that mystery illness (forget what it was in the end) and gained a lot of weight as a result of the medication. Never regained his previous form after that. Some younger players probably went past him too in the interim.

3. Scott McMahon was arguably best on ground, solid as a rock in the defensive 50. He continually repelled Bulldogs’ forward forays, finishing with 23 disposals and 10 marks.

“He had a few different opponents and during the day he was able to cut off a lot of their outlets,” Moore said.

“A lot of his 10 marks came from the opposition which says a lot about how he was able to read the play.”

2. Scott McMahon was again one of Werribee’s best in the back half. Although he spent time off the field in the third quarter with a groin issue, he returned in the last to be influential in the early stages.

“He used it pretty well I thought, and set up a few goals,” Moore said.

“To come back on in the last quarter was impressive and he was really good all day,” added Brown.

franjon

Premiership Player
Oct 27, 2004
Altona
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
none
If we're playing for the here and now - and we are - why isn't McMahon ahead of McDonald?
Why are we playing for the here and now in terms of McDonald? You won't see the benefits of him for about 2-3 years. McMahon won't be around then and if the coaches had any brains at all they'd bring him in as a medium sized forward.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
If we're playing for the here and now - and we are - why isn't McMahon ahead of McDonald?

I think McMahon has looked a fair way off the pace the last two times he's played seniors. Don't think either are close to being in the best 22 we could pick for Sunday.

He is an absolutely champion no ifs or buts. He's younger than Firrito (also a champion) but Firrito has signalled his intention to play another year so sadly I think it might be the end for Loose. Heartbreak for him really when he's been consistently voted in the best for Werribee week in week out. He'd be great for a Gold Coast, Melbourne or St Kilda I'd dare say however.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Why are we playing for the here and now in terms of McDonald? You won't see the benefits of him for about 2-3 years. McMahon won't be around then and if the coaches had any brains at all they'd bring him in as a medium sized forward.

Forward maybe, back to his early days?

But in all facets of the game for immediate performance McMahon >= McDonald. In fact I'd say that over the season.

Hopefully at his peak McDonald will be a higher calibre player than Scotty (who was no slouch at his peak) but right now not really comparable. Which makes me sad when I realise there is a youth-ish policy at play.

Junk yard

Team Captain
Aug 31, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He may just bow out quietly. More players should.
Spot on, no need for tears and the crap most of the guys blurt out these days. No fuss player, can't question his heart hopefully the club has something for him after footy. Maybe he can do two years under clarkson then come back and coach us!

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Spot on, no need for tears and the crap most of the guys blurt out these days. No fuss player, can't question his heart hopefully the club has something for him after footy. Maybe he can do two years under clarkson then come back and coach us!

Love to see him stay on at Werribee. Playing/assistant coach. We have a few young defenders on the list he'd be a great influence.

I think McMahon has looked a fair way off the pace the last two times he's played seniors. Don't think either are close to being in the best 22 we could pick for Sunday.

Loose take time to get to the level a solid month of AFL footy. Always has really.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
i'm still surprised McMahon hasn't announced retirement yet.
better to go out that way then through delisting
I'm thinking that given the team are still playing that any such announcement will happen after our season is over. He may just get a call up depending on numerous factors.

Northtobeunited

Senior List
Aug 7, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Kudos to Loose. He seems to have happily embraced his senior role at VFL level, and his example to the kiddies on our list who are playing alongside him there is first class. No sulking, bitching or moaning. In top form he could well prove handy backup if and when required also.
To bad we don't have a VFL side McMahon would be a great Captain of the team teaching our boys on how to play plus maybe get Spud down there as well if he retires from the AFL plus it would be good to get Patch involved as a Runner / Assistent Coach and a Nathen Grima involved also in a Non playing role

He may just bow out quietly. More players should.
I'm thinking that given the team are still playing that any such announcement will happen after our season is over.
good calls, fair enough and it seems like loose will go out in that way at years end which is sensible. spud probably go out likewise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back