Past #42: Scott McMahon - club won't renew contract (29/9) & Loose retires (13/10) - thanks Loose

Remove this Banner Ad

He may not have been able to get out on the AFL field as much as he'd have liked over the last couple of years, but no doubt the experience and knowledge he has imparted on the younger players will hold us in good stead for years to come.

Thanks Loose!

images

Cut Loose.

I am sad.

He's like those rare people who lose weight but still look ugly. Unlucky.

Strange post. Anyway.

Agree with scottywiper underrated player was Scott McMahon.

He might've ended up as a blue collar defender but is a very good overhead mark for his size and his reading of the play and decision making is excellent. Also a very good user by foot.

Didn't get as many opportunities in recent times as I think his talent and form justified imo in favour of younger or sexier options.

Also a great guy and another 2000s era player I'm sad won't get to have a North Melbourne premiership to their name.

Agree with scottywiper underrated player was Scott McMahon.

He might've ended up as a blue collar defender but is a very good overhead mark for his size and his reading of the play and decision making is excellent. Also a very good user by foot.

Didn't get as many opportunities in recent times as I think his talent and form justified imo in favour of younger or sexier options.

Also a great guy and another 2000s era player I'm sad won't get to have a North Melbourne premiership to their name.

Well summed up. He was a real footballer, as opposed to the plethora of athletes drafted in recent years, and a bloody good one at that.

I loved watching Scott play. Felt he read the play better than most for a long time down back and would have loved to have seen him add another 50 or so games before hanging up the boots. I guess some things aren't meant to be. Would be genuinely surprised if he did not have anything to offer one of the other clubs.

He wasn't a 'blue collar defender' at all. He was very talented but had lapses of concentration way too often.

Many forget that he was a very classy player at his best. Could take a good mark, great by foot and good decision maker. He was even a handy forward in his first year as well. Just dropped off sharply post his unusual injury/illness.

I guess I'm naive but would have thought one of the weaker clubs hemorrhaging goals and with a lack of experience would give him a look. Maybe that day has passed.

I wish we got to see the best 22 x 18 footballers in the land take the fields for all clubs but the lack of a genuine youth competition means every club has at least a foot in the blooding camp every week. That weeds out a handy mature type like McMahon.

Does the club think he has died or something? seriously need someone proof reading this stuff.

NMFC.com.au said:
The 29-year-old made his debut in Round 8, 2007 and quickly cemented himself in the side. A vocal leader, McMahon was a much-loved figure at Arden St among fans, staff and players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loved Scotty's work. A highly-skilled, natural footballer. Great user of the ball - cool-headed under pressure and a quality decision-maker.

Probably a testament to his ability that he could even be swung forward and get the job done.

And a further testament to his ability that he was so valuable to us down back that we rarely pulled that trigger.

Very sad to see him go. All the best, Scotty.

“I bought a house back there (SA) five months ago, so we’ll just move back there and if nothing else pops up AFL wise, then I’ll go back and play SANFL footy and hopefully continue on the coaching pathway I’ve started.”

I can read, I swear...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back