Past Zach Tuohy

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm thinking he's really only holding a spot until Laidler is ready to resume at this stage. Laidler being out has allowed the mc to give him a taste to get a feel for senior footy.

When Duigan and Laidler are set to go he'll be back in the two's.

Only his form will dictate that.
It's clear from last years recruitment as to what the coaches wanted for our back-line:
Grunt, speed, the ability to take the game on and precise kicking.
Tuohy ticks all those boxes and at 187cm has the height advantage over many of the opponents he will be pitted up against.

The other point is that Russell has been played a little further up the ground in recent weeks and may just find himself a home somewhere around the centre.

Tuohy Jamison Laidler
Duigan Bower? Yarran

That line up may not be completely out of the question within the next few weeks.

Only his form will dictate that.
It's clear from last years recruitment as to what the coaches wanted for our back-line:
Grunt, speed, the ability to take the game on and precise kicking.
Tuohy ticks all those boxes and at 187cm has the height advantage over many of the opponents he will be pitted up against.

The other point is that Russell has been played a little further up the ground in recent weeks and may just find himself a home somewhere around the centre.

Tuohy Jamison Laidler
Duigan Bower? Yarran

That line up may not be completely out of the question within the next few weeks.

Certainly possible. Do you think a Touhy could handle a nippy small forward or would he make way for an Armfield for example. (not all teams have one; WC being one I can think of).

Certainly possible. Do you think a Touhy could handle a nippy small forward or would he make way for an Armfield for example. (not all teams have one; WC being one I can think of).

Tuohy does pretty well in this department and has a much better turning circle than Duigan, Laidler or Russell for that matter.
Did a great job against McGrath and once he has you, whether it be by body or jumper, he does not let go.
The only thing Tuohy really lacks is experience, so mistakes will be made along the way and if Armfield has the better match up against certain opponents then I hope that he is used accordingly.

We've been waiting a long time to put together a squad of 30-32 where we can chop and change as required.

Tuohy Jamison Laidler
Duigan Bower? Yarran

I'd be pretty happy with that lineup for now. However, in a couple of years, I am hoping to see something like:

FB: Russell - Jamison - Laidler
HB: Duigan - Watson - Bower

I would then have Tuohy rotating off the bench through the back-line and midfield, and I'd like to see Yarran moved onto a wing or into the midfield. I know he has proven that he CAN handle the defensive responsibilities of playing in the back-line, but his best asset is still his attacking run and quality use of the ball. Because of that, I'm liking the idea of moving him from the HB line onto a wing where he can use that same run and attacking skills while not having the defensive job to do first.

Thoughts?

I'd be pretty happy with that lineup for now. However, in a couple of years, I am hoping to see something like:

FB: Russell - Jamison - Laidler
HB: Duigan - Watson - Bower

I would then have Tuohy rotating off the bench through the back-line and midfield, and I'd like to see Yarran moved onto a wing or into the midfield. I know he has proven that he CAN handle the defensive responsibilities of playing in the back-line, but his best asset is still his attacking run and quality use of the ball. Because of that, I'm liking the idea of moving him from the HB line onto a wing where he can use that same run and attacking skills while not having the defensive job to do first.

Thoughts?

We're at a point where just about any combination of our back-line looks good on paper.
There are many permutations and who really knows where it will end up, or for that matter whether we settle on a definitive back six at all.

You could make an argument for all positions bar one in our back-line.
Jamison is the one player that the rest revolve around, for now at least.

Pulling out the crystal ball, the one I see we may employ next year on the basis of the requirements laid out by the coaches is this:

Tuohy Jamison Laidler
Yarran Watson Bower/Duigan

There are some serious kicking weapons in that lot, no shortage of "tough" and all are prepared to take the game on and not to just beat their opponent, but to run off them and head towards goal.

I'm going to make an early call here, suggesting Tuohy only to be a couple of good games away from cementing a regular spot in our side.

Made a few mistakes in his first four outings, but the good has well and truly countered that.
Doesn't show any fear and doesn't look capable of being intimidated.
Those qualities shall hold him in good stead.

Zach's recent games have all been solid without being outstanding.
Certainly doing enough and holding his opponent well enough to be in our main side for now.

Pros:
Reads the ball well through the air and on the ground now.
May score plenty of goals for a back man, as he'll back himself to run up the ground.
Starting to feel confident in his marking, which was a previous weakness.
Has great corralling ability.
His speed has already saved us from opposition goals.

Cons:
Playing just a little to cosy right now. Needs to stay a little more focused.
Not utilising his kick in recent weeks. Team directive to play short?
For such a strong player he has hung back off the packs recently. Needs to get more involved, physically.

So far, so good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

photostream

There's a great story about Zach warming up at the MCG today expecting to play only to be told Jamison is playing and then to race out to the suburbs to star in the second half of our VFL win against the Roosters.

It should be told by someone more sober than me though.

There's a great story about Zach warming up at the MCG today expecting to play only to be told Jamison is playing and then to race out to the suburbs to star in the second half of our VFL win against the Roosters.

It should be told by someone more sober than me though.

I knew that was going to be the case well in advance of the match K_D.
Is there more to the story than that, as Jamo was always going to play?

Next big thing

Ratten surprised many outside the club when he handed Irishman Zach Tuohy his AFL debut in round 11, but he showed in 11 games that he deserved his spot. The amount of progress made from the time he bounced the ball straight back over his head with his first touch at AAMI Stadium to when he marked the ball from a West Coast kick in and banged it straight back over the defender's head for a goal in the semi-final loss was impressive.
Pretty much sums up Zach Tuohy going forward.

I would not surprised to see Zach in our top ten players 2 or 3 years from now. I cannot recall an Irish recruit with better allround AFL football skills so early in his career. Does anyone care to correct me on this?

I would not surprised to see Zach in our top ten players 2 or 3 years from now. I cannot recall an Irish recruit with better allround AFL football skills so early in his career. Does anyone care to correct me on this?

At the rate he has progressed, it's possible I guess.
The one thing we didn't really see of Zach in his few games at AFL level this year, is just how "unsociable" he can be.
He can be quite nasty on the field and has a body to inflict damage

Remove this Banner Ad

Back