VFL Past #75: Kurt Aylett

25 disposals and 16 tackles on the weekend.

Takes his tally up to 105 tackles in 9 games.
109 tackles in basically 10 games (including AFL). That's 10.9 tackles/game across both levels of the game. Elite tackling at VFL level

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
I think he is developing into our very own Sydney style midfielder.

He is ferocious inside and when tackling but it's only half the picture.

When he is on ball he bust his balls between the 50s. He'll lay a tackle on the wing but be the guy that gets back to receive a hand ball in our defence if we lose the ball in the middle. You'll then see him up in a more attacking part of the ground in what is basically the same phase of play.

On occasions you'll see him carry through the middle of the ground with serious pace and use it well (though if he is not moving his short kicking is not great).

I think that he is currently the most impressive of our young midfielders by far.

I know that his AFL performances were less than impressive but if anyone should be getting the rest of the season in the AFL it is Aylett. He's got as much potential as anyone but is also stringing high quality performances together.

Comparisons are always dangerous but I see a lot of Kieren Jack in him. He will make his name on defence but as he gets fitter and more confident he'll be able to evolve into a more attack minded player (with the speed and endurance to be able to genuinely work both ways).

Last edited:

222EB

Team Captain
Feb 12, 2012
vic
AFL Club
Essendon
Won't show his true potential as a tagger, if he comes in we gotta just let him chase the pill.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Depends. Do we bring in Winderlich and Baguley for Melksham and Hardingham? If so, other than J Merrett (who should have been sub after a 5 day break) who can you drop?

Sub or not Zach Merrett is not doing a heap at the moment.

For this week it also looks like Hibberd is going to struggled to get up.

Ben Howlett hasn't done a heap since Dreamtime.

This is the thing. How do we justify not changing the side when it is not going that well (and quite frankly never really has gone particularly well)?

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Bruno

I expect that if we lose to Power that we will plan for 2015. So this means that players like Aylett will get an extended run.

Bomber hinted at it during the post Geelong loss presser didn't he?

It would be very interesting to see which players lose their spots.

Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
18 tackles on the weekend.

131 in 11 VFL games this year.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Think that we have seen enough as far as his development on the ball is concerned.

Wouldn't mind seeing him given some time off half back with maybe Ashby and Dalgleish to go into the middle as he'll need a few strings to his bow to get AFL time. With Edwards playing more forward we have lacked a bit of drive from defence.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Think that we have seen enough as far as his development on the ball is concerned.

Wouldn't mind seeing him given some time off half back with maybe Ashby and Dalgleish to go into the middle as he'll need a few strings to his bow to get AFL time. With Edwards playing more forward we have lacked a bit of drive from defence.

Seen him start bounces across half forward. Maybe as an aside to the more preferred structure of NOB, Coghlan, Duscher, but we have definitely seen him in the front half.

Would have to say he is one of our best kicks inside 50. Puts it into space and draws the forwards, not forwards being spoilt brats demanding it *here* Saw it, and actually noted it in his massive Bendigo game where he had something like 36 touches.

Kicks to advantage, works both ways, tackles, smart around the clearances. Whats there not to like about the kid?

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Big year needed for Kurt after getting a taste of senior action early doors. Seemed to plateau in the second half of the year as injuries across the club took its toll (meaning VFL more than AFL for that matter) and was required to do more heavy lifting than usual.

As one of a plethora of young inside midfielders, really hope he can take that next step in 2015 and push for more games at the top.

hurlygurdy

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Big year needed for Kurt after getting a taste of senior action early doors. Seemed to plateau in the second half of the year as injuries across the club took its toll (meaning VFL more than AFL for that matter) and was required to do more heavy lifting than usual.

As one of a plethora of young inside midfielders, really hope he can take that next step in 2015 and push for more games at the top.
As an inside mid without a huge turn of speed, i would be pretty happy for him just to dominate at VFL level for another season. Apart from covering injuries, i don't see how he supposed to break into the seniors...

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
As an inside mid without a huge turn of speed, i would be pretty happy for him just to dominate at VFL level for another season. Apart from covering injuries, i don't see how he supposed to break into the seniors...

As BrunoV has mentioned, Aylett actually has a good turn of speed. It doesn't seem it but he does. Kicking penetration and distance seem a problem for Kurt but his tackling, hardness and tenacity around the contest could turn him into a decent tackling machine in the front or back halves.

He has speed, not heaps of it but he'd be similar pace to a Melksham, maybe a bit faster.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
He has speed, not heaps of it but he'd be similar pace to a Melksham, maybe a bit faster.

Not that it really says much but the only best 22 players that would have better top line speed would be Dempsey, Colyer and Winderlich. Aylett is better in a time trial than everyone other than Ambrose, he can genuinely run.

Not saying anything that I haven't said before, but I was really impressed with his different attributes and his endeavour in matches at VFL level. His work as an inside midfielder started off as seriously encouraging, considering that he was recruited as a running half back, and ended up objectively good despite a lull with the whole team about 2/3 of the way into the season.

He's got all of the physical tools. His kicking is neat without being excellent (reckon he's cleared the line from 50 a few times so I don't think penetration is that much of an issue) and he has the mental application and courage (just look at his tackling numbers).

He's not as smart a footballer as Gleeson or Ashby and not as creative in close as Kav. His footybrain would be the main area of weakness (not to say that he is lost out there, he's more of a blunt instrument) but he's got all of the raw attributes that I want to see added to our midfield.

There is no doubt that my judgement is probably clouded by a want to see him succeed but if he eats up another pre-season (like the last) I just can't see how he's not playing a lot of senior footy next year.

Last edited:
May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Not that it really says much but the only best 22 players that would have better top line speed would be Dempsey, Colyer and Winderlich. Aylett is better in a time trial than everyone other than Ambrose, he can genuinely run.

Not saying anything that I haven't said before, but I was really impressed with his different attributes and his endeavour in matches at VFL level. His work as an inside midfielder started off as seriously encouraging, considering that he was recruited as a running half back, and ended up objectively good despite a lull with the whole team about 2/3 of the way into the season.

He's got all of the physical tools. His kicking is neat without being excellent (reckon he's cleared the line from 50 a few times so I don't think penetration is that much of an issue) and he has the mental application and courage (just look at his tackling numbers).

He's not as smart a footballer as Gleeson or Ashby and not as creative in close as Kav. His footybrain would be the main area of weakness (not to say that he is lost out there, he's more of a blunt instrument) but he's got all of the raw attributes that I want to see added to our midfield.

There is no doubt that my judgement is probably clouded by a want to see him succeed but if he eats up another pre-season (like the last) I just can't see how he's not playing a lot of senior footy next year.

Pretty accurate summation of where Kurt sits.

The thing Im learning is that we want more inside midfielders to develop (I was even leading this charge at one point) but we have them on our list already. Kurt is one of them.

Kavanagh, Hams, Aylett, NOB are all inside players and unfortunately we have had a good run of injury free guys in the firsts to not give us the chance to see them (apart from Jobe's injury which was disappointing for a number of reasons).

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Will be de-listed and redrafted to rookie list according to website - surprising.

Last edited:
Back