Red and Black Preview, #43, Kurt Aylett

‘kouta’ enjoying his new surroundings

Kurt Aylett

Height: 188cms

Weight: 78kgs

Games: 1

Position: Midfield/Half Back

Fantasy Relevance: No

Look Out For: Elite Pace and Endurance, Run and Carry.

When Aylett arrived at Essendon late last year there was a feeling he might have been the ‘steak knives’ of the deal, with Shaun Edwards being the main attraction. However, as the year progresses, don’t be surprised if the former Giant makes the pick 48 traded for him look like an absolute bargain.

Kurt is an athletic half back flanker who can also push up through the midfield, his run and carry with ball in hand is very reminiscent of fellow Bomber Courtenay Dempsey.

Aylett was a champion junior who has struggled in Western Sydney, the midfielder suffered a torn ACL late in 2011 which really put him behind the rest of the young giants, and he never really caught up.

What to expect in 2014: At 21, and with his ACL rehab well behind him, Aylett should be able to compete for a senior spot straight away, but even if he doesn’t, he’ll still provide crucial depth and competition for spots in the midfield.

He’s still a bit of a mystery man, but expect Aylett to start the year playing mostly as a half back flanker or winger at VFL level in a similar vein to Jason Ashby from last season. He’s a great athlete and likes to take the game on, so expect lots of running with the footy, not unlike fellow trade-mate Edwards.

my man

Last edited:
Ever since hearing Dodoro talk about Aylett, and then hearing Aylett talk there seemed to be something about him. At 188cm and with his skill and running capacity he is also particularly suited to modern "small" footy.

Now in squad of 29 for game against Gold Coast. Looming as a bit of a dark horse for the season.

After 2 VFL games already

17 possessions
10 tackles
7 handball receives

Me like. Definitely one to watch for later in the year after a very solid start to the season for the VFL Bombers. Some potential to work with for the supposed 'steak knives' as part of the deal for Shaun Edwards. Whilst Edwards has the highlights, Aylett has shown the consistency and could be a real bolter for later in the year.

After 2 VFL games already

17 possessions
10 tackles
7 handball receives

Me like. Definitely one to watch for later in the year after a very solid start to the season for the VFL Bombers. Some potential to work with for the supposed 'steak knives' as part of the deal for Shaun Edwards. Whilst Edwards has the highlights, Aylett has shown the consistency and could be a real bolter for later in the year.
thats his averages for each state yeah?

Where are you getting VFL stats from? My footylive app doesn't seem to have anything other than AFL these days.

After two VFL games I am smitten by Aylett. He has looked right at home at stoppages and tagging opponents which is a huge plus given that he was supposed to be an "outside" player. Love the aggression in a number of the 20 tackles it seemed like he has laid in the last 2 weeks (my guess is that those numbers are averages).

On 4 or 5 times he has also run off his opponent and opened play up with his speed. Disposal has also been good.

He'll get games as the 20th to 22nd player soon enough because as a 189cm elite runner (he was beating Stanton and O'Brien in the time trials) who can play half back, wing, midfield (inc tagging) he has the versatility that Bomber wants in his players with the form to justify selection.

Think this guy has a very bright future.

[quote="BrunoV, post: 32580369, member: 79274"]Where are you getting VFL stats from? My footylive app doesn't seem to have anything other than AFL these days.
[/quote]

Might need to download the update for it?

New Footylive app is fantastic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

thats his averages for each state yeah?

Yeah, thats his averages for the year.

Where are you getting VFL stats from? My footylive app doesn't seem to have anything other than AFL these days.

After two VFL games I am smitten by Aylett. He has looked right at home at stoppages and tagging opponents which is a huge plus given that he was supposed to be an "outside" player. Love the aggression in a number of the 20 tackles it seemed like he has laid in the last 2 weeks (my guess is that those numbers are averages).

On 4 or 5 times he has also run off his opponent and opened play up with his speed. Disposal has also been good.

He'll get games as the 20th to 22nd player soon enough because as a 189cm elite runner (he was beating Stanton and O'Brien in the time trials) who can play half back, wing, midfield (inc tagging) he has the versatility that Bomber wants in his players with the form to justify selection.

Think this guy has a very bright future.

I keep reiterating the fact that he was the 'steak knives' in the trade for Shaun Edwards.

I think we have almost a perfectly balanced team right now. Would love a Lovett/S. Hill/I. Smith or 2 in our side (dare I say it, Dempsey) but besides that weaknesses are hard to find. It's more looking to the future that we start to look at guys like Aylett.

I think we have quite a few decent young mids who tend to be more "outside" players. Namely Gleeson, Ashby, Edwards, J. Merrett, Kavanagh (Which I will start out by seeing I completely agree with - we went and got our KPP's and in-and-under players first, and got these guys later knowing they can have more of an impact early).

As a result, I see our future as really optimistic. The one area I do see in about 3-4 years time as maybe needing addressing is our clearance midfielders - the guys who replace Watson, Hocking, Howlett etc.. I see Myers as the only real big body who we'll have in there. Heppell will do some and someone like Hams plays that role, but they're not big strong bodies. I am happy to see that they're really pushing Kavanagh in this role. And it's here where I think Aylett could be really valuable.

I think we have almost a perfectly balanced team right now. Would love a Lovett/S. Hill/I. Smith or 2 in our side (dare I say it, Dempsey) but besides that weaknesses are hard to find. It's more looking to the future that we start to look at guys like Aylett.

I think we have quite a few decent young mids who tend to be more "outside" players. Namely Gleeson, Ashby, Edwards, J. Merrett, Kavanagh (Which I will start out by seeing I completely agree with - we went and got our KPP's and in-and-under players first, and got these guys later knowing they can have more of an impact early).

As a result, I see our future as really optimistic. The one area I do see in about 3-4 years time as maybe needing addressing is our clearance midfielders - the guys who replace Watson, Hocking, Howlett etc.. I see Myers as the only real big body who we'll have in there. Heppell will do some and someone like Hams plays that role, but they're not big strong bodies. I am happy to see that they're really pushing Kavanagh in this role. And it's here where I think Aylett could be really valuable.
Gleeson is about as outside as Pendlebury. His vision and awareness in traffic tells me he's an inside mid. But yes, the next phase would be getting some young bulls inside (isn't Dean Wallis' son supposed to be like that?)

Gleeson is about as outside as Pendlebury. His vision and awareness in traffic tells me he's an inside mid. But yes, the next phase would be getting some young bulls inside (isn't Dean Wallis' son supposed to be like that?)

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, not saying Gleeson, Z. Merrett etc.. are exclusively outside, he certainly will (already can?) work his way out of clearances in a classy fashion. Was more referring to just some big bodies, more brute-type guys inside. It's a massive strength of ours right now with Watson, Hocking, Howlett, Myers, even a tall Goddard in the side. It allows guys like Heppell, Melksham to play a more combo inside/outside role whereas at other times they would be required more exclusively inside.

GWS must have seen something in him to list him as one of those dozen 17 year olds they were able to grab, a list which included Jeremy Cameron, Dylan Shiel and Toby Greene
Toby Greene was taken in the 2011 draft.

GWS must have seen something in him to list him as one of those dozen 17 year olds they were able to grab, a list which included Jeremy Cameron, Dylan Shiel and Toby Greene
Toby was taken at pick 10 in the draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back