Past #43: Sam Gibson - #63 '12 RD - 130 consec. NM games (club record) - NM --> ADL for pk91 '17 ND

Don't get me wrong he had a couple of average moments in that first half - but all of our good players including better ball users like Wellsy had shocking moments at points (that's why we were down by 30). The thing is that people are really quick to jump on any mistake Gibbo makes as the whipping boy, but don't pay him enough dues (IMO) for all the great things he does.
Happy to give plenty of credit for his second half. balanced with his first he had an average game for mine. Terrible + excellent = average for mine. And you are right - he certainly wasn't on his own. Gibbo has been very good this season.

He wears that jumper and runs his ass off for the club. I can only be in awe of him. Sure some of his efforts in the 1st half were frustrating but the amount of ground he covers he must be spent. But that 2nd half. He was everywhere. You cant knock that.

mattyk6

Debutant
Dec 7, 2010
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ran hard but there was one bit of play halfway through the third which summed him up. We had momentum and possession, and he played on and bombed straight to centre half forward to a nest of Bombers. Didn't look and didn't weigh up the situation, just a blind bomb to a dangerous spot.

I love his guts, energy and stamina, but he'll cost us a final if he keeps getting it 25 times.

Agreed. Bloke next to me said his u12s wouldn't do that... Just bombing it to centre half forward which is the quickest and best spot for the opposition to launch attack from.

Jeremy Jordan

All Australian
May 2, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Who was Gibson's opponent? There is no doubt in my mind whoever he was on would of been absolutely spent in the last, helping our cause even further.

Not only does Gibson provide a link nearly every forward movement, he runs his opponent into the ground. Surely he f***s up every now and then, but that sums up half our team.

shinboner spiggs

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Jazz, West Indies
If only he could kick...

Fantastic in running and providing an option. He'll be very useful against the cats providing a switch.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
Nah.

Wells
Harvey
Dal Santo
Swallow
Cunnington
Ziebell
Greenwood
Goldstein
Petrie
Thompson
Hansen
Thomas
Atley

None of those guys, bar Wells and Harvey, can give the team what Sam does.

His aerobic ability is vital to our ball movement.

Augustine

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal
I feel like Gibson must be one of our most talked about players here on BF. Only 23 pages? surprising.

Yeah, but Gibson plays a role that is absolutely vital.

His wing to win running is irreplaceable.

I agree. At the start of the season, it also looked like he had improved his field kicking, but it regressed over the course of the season. Hopefully another pre-season of working on it will eliminate the real clangers - we can live with the ones that are 50/50.

ansonholt

Premiership Player
May 12, 2009
All in Sunbury
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Great game. Was everywhere. That moment when you see a loose player running into space and you think "good, someone's free, kick it to him" and they do and then you realise who it is. It's usually Sam Gibson. Amazing how he continues to do that.

Back