Past #43: Sam Gibson - #63 '12 RD - 130 consec. NM games (club record) - NM --> ADL for pk91 '17 ND

Lums23

Club Legend
Jun 16, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United
I'm not sure if some people here realise how much work he does to get his simple uncontested possessions. He is almost always an option to kick it to coming out of the defensive 50. Even with his sometimes questionable disposal, at least it's 50 metres further down the field that a bomb out of the backline

niko11

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Great post. So important in any team sport, and especially in footy. That's why a bloke like Liam Anthony stood out like dogs balls when he was first drafted to us as he was the only player in the team who really offered this running, and as a consequence got a s**t load of the pill.

Footy is a team sport. Not everyone will score a shitload of goals, not everyone will win the clearances, but everyone must be able to perform their role within the team for the benefit of the team. Gibson does this to an absolute elite level. He is not a superstar nor the most skilled player, but the role he plays and the absolute perfection to which he plays it makes us a better team. Further to this there is no one in our squad who can play it as well as he plays it. He is super fit, really well drilled and very smart.
I luv it when someone jumps in and explains things alot better than me yes gibsons is elite at what he brings cheers!

Aug 13, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NORTH! 2016,2017,2018.
I'm not sure if some people here realise how much work he does to get his simple uncontested possessions. He is almost always an option to kick it to coming out of the defensive 50. Even with his sometimes questionable disposal, at least it's 50 metres further down the field that a bomb out of the backline
Yep. His work at the end of quarters and more importantly in the last quarter is when his value shines through. Always gives an option when everyone else is dead on their feet.

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
So in other words... it's been clearly established that we'd be a much worse team without Gibson in the side. Glad that's finally been settled.

niko11

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So in other words... it's been clearly established that we'd be a much worse team without Gibson in the side. Glad that's finally been settled.
Im amazed that some dnt even have Gibson in our best 22 in the "best 22 thread!

Aug 13, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NORTH! 2016,2017,2018.
Were you at the game?

Loved this B33.

Although I resent the implication that Wells, Dal & boomer are past it.

Grima is another good solid citizen but Luke was the big bodied full back we were crying out for and we developed him and he went on to finish 5th in his new clubs BnF.

He is a good defender mate. Plays within his limitations.
Haha knew you would. 99.9% of people would be offended but you'll always take it in your stride. I think it's great.

I liked Delaney too. Need to see more of Tippett before I can say who I'd rather have in the team. At the moment it looks as though Tippett has more athleticism which suits the modern game more. I meant keys Jnr though. I know we had a debate last season as to who would be more suited in this team

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Grima is another good solid citizen but Luke was the big bodied full back we were crying out for and we developed him and he went on to finish 5th in his new clubs BnF.

He is a good defender mate. Plays within his limitations.

This I agree with. Shades of Greenwood with Luke Delaney, we got stung by perhaps sticking too rigidly with a best 22 instead of rewarding form on both occasions.

Important to remember that in both instances we offered new contracts so it wasn't us who pulled the pin.

ArjenTheGreat

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2005
Arden St
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Haha knew you would. 99.9% of people would be offended but you'll always take it in your stride. I think it's great.

I liked Delaney too. Need to see more of Tippett before I can say who I'd rather have in the team. At the moment it looks as though Tippett has more athleticism which suits the modern game more. I meant keys Jnr though. I know we had a debate last season as to who would be more suited in this team

Must be all the time I spend teaching salespeople how to deal with rejection and not let it affect them.

You also learn to roll with the punches when you've spent near on a decade on this board. I know you meant Jr, I was just messing with you ;)

Cam can play, he has never looked out of place when able to get on the field.

Im amazed that some dnt even have Gibson in our best 22 in the "best 22 thread!

The best 22 thread should be treated like Tinder. You can swipe right or left. Some just want to swipe right and get a few contacts, others are merely looking for the creme de le creme.

Gibson is clearly in "our" best 22. He just doesn't make some peoples preferred wet dream 22 should everyone be fit, firing and able to touch the ball (I'm looking at your Kieran).

His repeat running is outrageous, his ability to be an option when no one else is available is at times astonishing. But when you get the ball on your own, you need to be damaging because if every one of your team mates runs forward expecting you to hit a target, you can't turn it over and not be burnt on the rebound. And that my amigos is modern footy.

If he can be good enough to take attention from Dal, Boomer, Higgins or Wells, then we are laughing all the way to a top 2 finish.

theduckfan

Norm Smith Medallist
Veteran North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Mar 31, 2007
GB
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Inter,Victory, Liverpool
Yeah, you're right. Probably could have worded it differently.

Great goal regardless.
Quite a few of the boys had a hand on it.

I love watching that. Brings back some great memories, best live game atmosphere I have ever been involved in, and I was at the game the next week.

Handball was at gibbos feet, he recovered well to continue on the chain. Demonstrates his gut running in 1 30second clip.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
Gibson is clearly in "our" best 22. He just doesn't make some peoples preferred wet dream 22 should everyone be fit, firing and able to touch the ball (I'm looking at your Kieran).

His repeat running is outrageous, his ability to be an option when no one else is available is at times astonishing. But when you get the ball on your own, you need to be damaging because if every one of your team mates runs forward expecting you to hit a target, you can't turn it over and not be burnt on the rebound. And that my amigos is modern footy.

If he can be good enough to take attention from Dal, Boomer, Higgins or Wells, then we are laughing all the way to a top 2 finish.
There's a distinction I'd make here Arjen. My own view of Gibson is that it is less that he turns it over although he can do that from time to time. It's more that he's less damaging than he could be. His disposals are not so much in the clanger territory; it's more that they are 'effective' without being 'effective', ifyouknowwhatimean.

He's very valuable in being a link in a chain, but the closer to goal he gets the more you'd like to see him nail the killer blow, with a really composed I50 to a dead certainty kick for goal, or to nail them himself. I was pleased to see more of the latter appearing in 2014.

Engimal

Cancelled
10k Posts North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor Pantskyle Minecraft Shiny Penny Ruby
Apr 27, 2010
Tasmania
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Remember the days when we used to group him and Anthony together because they were pretty similar? Shows how far he has come. :p

This I agree with. Shades of Greenwood with Luke Delaney, we got stung by perhaps sticking too rigidly with a best 22 instead of rewarding form on both occasions.

Important to remember that in both instances we offered new contracts so it wasn't us who pulled the pin.
In case of Greenwood, not getting a game was hardly an issue, was it?

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
In case of Greenwood, not getting a game was hardly an issue, was it?

It was over a longer course of time. Even at the start of the season he was right back in the pecking order.

He's said things to that effect since, about suspecting he was going to be the first pushed out of the side etc.

It was over a longer course of time. Even at the start of the season he was right back in the pecking order.

He's said things to that effect since, about suspecting he was going to be the first pushed out of the side etc.
If he thinks that, I reckon he has some surprises in store at Collingwood. If he misses some targets in a losing side, while their VFL side is doing well, his spot is far from secure.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
If he thinks that, I reckon he has some surprises in store at Collingwood. If he misses some targets in a losing side, while their VFL side is doing well, his spot is far from secure.

Cest la vie. I have my views on how Greenwood's shortcomings were viewed comparatively to those of his teammates.

Matters not now. He's no longer a North Melbourne player so hopefully he and his new team are about to embark on a sustained period of mediocrity.

Cest la vie. I have my views on how Greenwood's shortcomings were viewed comparatively to those of his teammates.

Matters not now. He's no longer a North Melbourne player so hopefully he and his new team are about to embark on a sustained period of mediocrity.
His reasons for leaving -- and the team he chooses to eff off using such reasons as justification -- seal it for me.

Ultimately though, he did finish in top 3 in the B&F, so fearing being dropped is just not relevant.
Let's hope Nielson and VW end up long term players for us, as one of them would definitely not be here, had Levi stayed. Nielson may still have been there at 36 - hard to tell. Which is why I am using both of them as a Greenwood replacement. ;)

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Ultimately though, he did finish in top 3 in the B&F, so fearing being dropped is just not relevant.
Let's hope Nielson and VW end up long term players for us, as one of them would definitely not be here, had Levi stayed. Nielson may still have been there at 36 - hard to tell. Which is why I am using both of them as a Greenwood replacement. ;)

Ah the old North Melbourne "Bastinac for Gibson" revisionist approach. Nice.

Back