Past #43: Sam Gibson - #63 '12 RD - 130 consec. NM games (club record) - NM --> ADL for pk91 '17 ND

Remove this Banner Ad

You would push him into incoming traffic instead of away from it. Enough said.

As likely as seeing a Yeti on the Arden street oval. As he would have to be in the vaccinity of traffic in order for the above to occur.

But other than that, I enjoyed the vibe of your post.

I'd certainly be going in knees first and trying to cork him. 100%. But tunnelling and cannoning... That's a bit harsh, they are dog acts.

I drive the Sam Gibson bus, that is my disclaimer; so here goes.

He may not be the most talented player on our list, and certainly not the most skill full, nor the smoothest, nor the silkiest.

He is judged by a different standard to those that have only played at AFL level for three years; and why? Because he was a mature age rookie, and not some wunderkind that was plucked through the national draft before his balls had a chance to drop.

He worked and flogged himself for years at Hawthorn, to no avail.

And from the day he first wore the Royal Blue and White he has busted a gut and continued to improve and play the game the way the coaches have demanded.

Honesty would compel every member on this site to admit, that North's great run last year, including the finals; was more reliant on Gibson than Wells. But we laud Wells to the skies, ignoring the fact that his best is not often on display, and injuries over the length of his career have hampered his output, to the detriment of the team.

He was more important than Harvey in the Elimination final, but we forgive Harvey not playing due to suspension because he is Boomer. But Gibson? Torch one pass and it reveals that he is nothing more than an over-hyped wannabe.

Me, I bloody love him. Frustrating at times, but bloody important. I will continue to take Gibson and defend him to the hilt over the likes of McKenzie and the other up and coming kids. His best may not be 'the best', but it is important and the team can rely on him doing his role each and every week for the entire season.

His running against the dogs in rd.2 showed what he is all about. Players were spent after a long hard tussle yet Gibson was still running creating options time and time again. Would like him to get first go at Levi's spot (either him or jacobs). His best game (IMO) was against Richmond two seasons ago. He was feeding the ball out to the better users and seemed to be at every contest. With his work rate he could blow up opposition midfielders.

I would like Wood on a wing but not at the expense of Gibson. We have two of them after all. Wood on a wing creates a height differential and a target bombing it long. Wood has a big tank and can create a mismatch drifting forward or a spare man dropping back.

His running against the dogs in rd.2 showed what he is all about. Players were spent after a long hard tussle yet Gibson was still running creating options time and time again. Would like him to get first go at Levi's spot (either him or jacobs). His best game (IMO) was against Richmond two seasons ago. He was feeding the ball out to the better users and seemed to be at every contest. With his work rate he could blow up opposition midfielders.

I would like Wood on a wing but not at the expense of Gibson. We have two of them after all. Wood on a wing creates a height differential and a target bombing it long. Wood has a big tank and can create a mismatch drifting forward or a spare man dropping back.
Heh.

I'm with this. Greenwood's spot should be taken by another outside runner rather than another inside midfielder.

Sure Gibbo's an outstanding runner but it's no good being a great runner if you can't find the pill. When people wax lyrical about his desire and work ethic and running ability I think his actual talent to find the ball is overlooked a bit. Knowing where to be and understanding the pattern of the game is just a difficult skill as a pin point pass or a snap for goal. Sure we would love to put Gibbos desire and work ethic into McKenzie but that running ability can be significantly improved at an elite level, what can't be improved as greatly is running patterns and the ability to get the ball. I'd much rather put Gibbos ability to get kicks into McKenzie or Harper than anything else as, sadly, this is a skill that both those guys don't inherently have.

I drive the Sam Gibson bus, that is my disclaimer; so here goes.

He may not be the most talented player on our list, and certainly not the most skill full, nor the smoothest, nor the silkiest.

He is judged by a different standard to those that have only played at AFL level for three years; and why? Because he was a mature age rookie, and not some wunderkind that was plucked through the national draft before his balls had a chance to drop.

He worked and flogged himself for years at Hawthorn, to no avail.

And from the day he first wore the Royal Blue and White he has busted a gut and continued to improve and play the game the way the coaches have demanded.

Honesty would compel every member on this site to admit, that North's great run last year, including the finals; was more reliant on Gibson than Wells. But we laud Wells to the skies, ignoring the fact that his best is not often on display, and injuries over the length of his career have hampered his output, to the detriment of the team.

He was more important than Harvey in the Elimination final, but we forgive Harvey not playing due to suspension because he is Boomer. But Gibson? Torch one pass and it reveals that he is nothing more than an over-hyped wannabe.

Me, I bloody love him. Frustrating at times, but bloody important. I will continue to take Gibson and defend him to the hilt over the likes of McKenzie and the other up and coming kids. His best may not be 'the best', but it is important and the team can rely on him doing his role each and every week for the entire season.

You had me at "hello"!

Outstanding post B4B.

The beauty of all these great posts, and there have been some crackers... Is that round 1 Adelaide in Adelaide, 50,000+ people and a team playing for a new coach.

There will be absolutely nowhere to hide.

Will he melt again?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I was to compare his game style to anyone I think a close fit is Andrew Gaff from West Coast. Both are predominantly outside link-up types who get on their bikes to stretch opposition. One is a number 4 draft pick, the other a mature aged rookie. Both produce very similar output. I think Gibbo is holding his own.

Gaff has considerable class that Gibson lacks. Stanton is a better comparison.

Poor example. Despite him playing a blinder.They had no ruckman, were smashed inside and he was on Motlop who had no business playing & it was a very pro North crowd that night. They didn't wKe up until the 2nd half, and he had 75% of his possessions already.

My contention is that of all his 35 possessions, I only remember a singl awesome tackle and a handball to Dal.

Senior players, leadership group worthy players need to perform in the following games:

Adelaide in Adelaode
Sydney in Sydney
Essendon at dome/final
West Coke in Perth.
Freo in Freo.
Geelong in Geelong/Final

Sadly, he was 2/8.

And not even I could say say he isn't a better player than Stanton right now, but that isn't saying much.

Poor example. Despite him playing a blinder.They had no ruckman, were smashed inside and he was on Motlop who had no business playing & it was a very pro North crowd that night. They didn't wKe up until the 2nd half, and he had 75% of his possessions already.

My contention is that of all his 35 possessions, I only remember a singl awesome tackle and a handball to Dal.

Senior players, leadership group worthy players need to perform in the following games:

Adelaide in Adelaode
Sydney in Sydney
Essendon at dome/final
West Coke in Perth.
Freo in Freo.
Geelong in Geelong/Final

Sadly, he was 2/8.

And not even I could say say he isn't a better player than Stanton right now, but that isn't saying much.
How come you're so quick to give the oppsition excuses when the team and individual players play well and win but when we lose the discourse is all about how terrible the coaching staff and players are?

Adelaide in Adelaode
Sydney in Sydney
Essendon at dome/final
West Coke in Perth.
Freo in Freo.
Geelong in Geelong/Final

Sadly, he was 2/8.

That's some serious mental gymnastics applied to explain away a 35 possession (16 CP) effort. Fact is he delivered big time that night.

As for the other games you mentioned:

Adelaide in Adelaode - had a pretty good match. 25 possessions, wasn't his fault we sucked.
Sydney in Sydney - again, pretty good. 24 possessions, 9 contested, 5 tackles in a great team performance
Essendon at dome/final - 27 possessions and a goal. Again, solid.
West Coke in Perth. - 20 possessions, 10 tackles. In a game in which we choked the life out of the Weagles defensively (they narrowly avoided their lowest score ever), he contributed 100%
Freo in Freo. - huge match there, probably the best game he's played. 31 possessions, 5 tackles, 4 clearances and 2 critical goals in a low scoring match. 1 brownlow vote
Geelong in Geelong/Final - nuff said.

I know statistics don't tell the whole story but they do give a decent outline. Gibson's job is to lose his man, run wide and deep and get as much of the footy as he can. Which is precisely what he did in each of those matches.

He's not in the leadership group IIRC but he was amongst our best each night. Then there he is setting the bar on the running and training track every single single session. What more could you ask of him?

I just can't understand this criticism.

I share with you one key criticism of Gibson - there isn't enough "hurt" in his kicking 90% of the time this doesn't matter cos 90% of the time the next kick is the obvious one, but those times when he needs to execute with a high degree of difficulty, it just ain't there. I'd love to graft McKenzie's left boot onto his leg! But by crikey he makes up for it it every other respect.

This event doesn't get the hype of the Pamplona event but just the fact he takes on this sort of challenge shows the type of grit Sam Gibson is made out of.
He's a brave man no question. I did fear for his safety once I heard the hounds had been released...

gibson dogs.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back