Past #43: Sam Gibson - #63 '12 RD - 130 consec. NM games (club record) - NM --> ADL for pk91 '17 ND

He had a couple of howlers on the weekend.

Then followed it up with a couple of pinpoint passes inside fifty that led to goals.

Frustrating at times for sure.
Yep, Gibson would have to be the most frustrating player on our list.
He would be in the 20-25 range on our list atm and will either just squeeze in or out.

For me out because I don't want anyone on the team that isn't good by foot

Yep, Gibson would have to be the most frustrating player on our list.
He would be in the 20-25 range on our list atm and will either just squeeze in or out.

For me out because I don't want anyone on the team that isn't good by foot
His ability to get up & down the ground is what gets him a game especially in the last quarters. was a huge fan but not so much anymore.

Gee there has been some s**t written on this thread lately.

Usual suspects too.

Arjen when you stop getting DPed by Garner and Harper and watch a game then come back to posting.

ArjenTheGreat

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2005
Arden St
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Gee there has been some s**t written on this thread lately.

Usual suspects too.

Arjen when you stop getting DPed by Garner and Harper and watch a game then come back to posting.

I'd pay good money for such an experience.

You clearly haven't watched much of the preseason to continue your unconditional support of this list clogger.

He has been appalling and the only reason he plays round 1 is due to him being added to the leadership group. There is literally no other reason for having him in the side.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool

You clearly haven't watched much of the preseason to continue your unconditional support of this list clogger.

He has been appalling and the only reason he plays round 1 is due to him being added to the leadership group. There is literally no other reason for having him in the side.
Oh yeah? Well Phillyroo told me that Heath told him that he and the match committee are doing it just to troll you. That's the reason.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

C'mon mate. List clogger is a bit too far.

ArjenTheGreat

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2005
Arden St
AFL Club
North Melbourne
F*** this thread. Gibbo deserves better. He was huge for us late last year.

Lock and start a new one. I'm sick of everyone overrating preseason form...

#standbygibbo

Unforced error after unforced error.

Clarko doesn't accept such mediocrity.

He played one good half against Geelong and stunk up the other 2 finals, excluding a great goal against the scum.

C'mon mate. List clogger is a bit too far.

Probably, but, I have laid off him for a month and he continually trolls me. 2 of our nab cups have ended with him kicking the ball OOF.

I will support him the moment he runs on to the field, but you can't deny out of the last 6 times he has played for us, he has been ordinary or worse in 5 of those games.

I want my club to be ruthless.

What a load of crap. If we were ruthless a bloke who can't find the football at all would have been delisted last year.

If anyone is a list clogger it's Harper.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Unforced error after unforced error.

Clarko doesn't accept such mediocrity.

He played one good half against Geelong and stunk up the other 2 finals, excluding a great goal against the scum.

Probably, but, I have laid off him for a month and he continually trolls me. 2 of our nab cups have ended with him kicking the ball OOF.

I will support him the moment he runs on to the field, but you can't deny out of the last 6 times he has played for us, he has been ordinary or worse in 5 of those games.

I want my club to be ruthless.

Clarko would love Gibbo on his side. Clarkson loves players who he can back in to play a role. It's why guys like Simpkin, Duryea and a few others continually get a gig. I'm sure he's much rather have Gibbo than any of those mentioned above. Plus probably another 4-5 others. If Gibbo was on the hawks list he'd be a fuel premiership player.

If u really wanted this club to be ruthless Harper would have been on the scrap heap last year. If that was the case you'd be jumping up and down like a kid who'd just got his lollipop stolen.

Every single premiership side has role players and journeyman in it. They may not be the most polished but they have traits that fill holes in our side. Until we have someone that can run as hard as Gibbo and be as accountable as him, then he will continue to be best 22.

There is no point reading into the form of some players during the NAB cup. I know for a fact that a number of players including Gibson, Petrie, Bastinac, Adams and a few others were in a heavy training load during the NAB due to niggles throughout the pre-season.

ArjenTheGreat

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2005
Arden St
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well no, because he was on their list and didn't play a single game, so nice try, but no.

Duryea > Wright, Jamie, Jacobs

Smith, Hill, Rioli, Suckling > Gibson

Heavy training load.... come on mate. He was sub, came on and burnt his first 5 possessions under the intense heat of a NAB game.

The difference between He and Harper is that we are short of options to replace Wells, Boomer etc And FFS we have kept Tarrant for 10 years for 10 games, Kieran has been injured for 2, there is a huge difference.

We have the best midfield in the comp and he is currently out of form... it's no disgrace to be 23rd man in a premiership team.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well no, because he was on their list and didn't play a single game, so nice try, but no.

Duryea > Wright, Jamie, Jacobs

Smith, Hill, Rioli, Suckling > Gibson

Heavy training load.... come on mate. He was sub, came on and burnt his first 5 possessions under the intense heat of a NAB game.

The difference between He and Harper is that we are short of options to replace Wells, Boomer etc And FFS we have kept Tarrant for 10 years for 10 games, Kieran has been injured for 2, there is a huge difference.

We have the best midfield in the comp and he is currently out of form... it's no disgrace to be 23rd man in a premiership team.

Gibson was on their list as a rookie for 12 months. The hawks wanted to develop him as a tagger but he was behind the likes of Sewell (who was in his prime and Lewis. In his 12 months on the hawks list he was injured for the majority of the year.

You seriously have no idea if u think Duryea is better than Wright or McMillan. Not a chance he is rated for his kicking but turns it over whenever there is a hint of pressure.

Smith and Hill are no doubt better than Gibson, Gibbo's stats would be equally as good as either of them but he probably isn't as a efficient. However his two way running is much better than than the both of them.

Rioli and Suckling play in different positions so it's negligible to even try and compare them.

I'm not denying he didn't play well in the NAB but training loads play a big part in how a player can get up for game day. Petrie stunk it up, McMillan and Atley weren't much better. All of them were on heavy training loads. Loading their training so they are cherry ripe for round 1.

Gibbo will be there round 1 and I'm sure he will be best 22 come the end of the season. You reckon he is a list clogger but list cloggers don't average 20 plus touches a game over 2 years and have good defensive work rate. There are 10 players on our list that would be considered list cloggers before Gibbo ever was.

Don't read it if you don't want to be involved.

You have an option of not reading or commenting.

I participate here because I like to read about North and opinions of North supporters, especially those that are different from mine. That's why I've only relatively recently commented on your posting (say, one comment from me per 25 anti-Gibson posts by you).

Maybe it's just me, but I'd like to read a Gibson-related thread without you pedalling the same tired, ignorant, blustering bullshit on every page.

Yes, we get it and pretty much everyone here concedes it, Gibson's disposal sometimes lets him and the team down. Sometimes to an infuriating level. What you categorically refuse to accept is that with him, the good clearly outweighs the bad, as many posters have eloquently detailed. Makes you a s**t judge of football if you can't see what's in front of you every week, IMO.

Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Its not just about touches with Gibbo, its where and when he gets them.

He is a constant release valve for the team. Just when it looks like we are under pressure in the D50 and need an easy option on the back flank, look up and there's Gibbo. Just when we have run into a cul-de-sac bringing the ball down one wing and we for a switch to find a free man, there is Gibbo. You can't see this s**t on TV and you can't understand just how valuable coaches and team mates find this running. Sure, he can be hit and miss with his kicking at times, but he generally plays within his limitations whilst providing this highly undervalued attribute. And that is why he will continue to be best 22 and continue to be in the leadership group as long as there is no one else who can do what he does.

Anyone who doesn't understand this by now better just pack in the bitching and moaning about his constant selection, because this is fact.

I think tron hit the nail on the head with this one!!

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I participate here because I like to read about North and opinions of North supporters, especially those that are different from mine. That's why I've only relatively recently commented on your posting (say, one comment from me per 25 anti-Gibson posts by you).

Maybe it's just me, but I'd like to read a Gibson-related thread without you pedalling the same tired, ignorant, blustering bullshit on every page.

Yes, we get it and pretty much everyone here concedes it, Gibson's disposal sometimes lets him and the team down. Sometimes to an infuriating level. What you categorically refuse to accept is that with him, the good clearly outweighs the bad, as many posters have eloquently detailed. Makes you a s**t judge of football if you can't see what's in front of you every week, IMO.

He might be a s**t judge(at the very least his back is hunched from the weight of the bias' he's carrying around), but he has the same right to post here as anyone else, and as long as he doesn't break any rules or be too much of a dick then that shouldn't, and wont, change.. If less people engaged him when he spoke, then he'd have to spend less time writing the same stuff again and again. Best to just ignore it or put it to one side and carry on IMO.

EDIT: If he hasn't changed his mind by now, I doubt anything anytime soon will. So why bother pulling him up on it.

a32c608af64ab319962bda9f20bd6eb52f8d5ee7a45020d56c7b57f591537bb3.jpg

theduckfan

Norm Smith Medallist
Veteran North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Mar 31, 2007
GB
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Inter,Victory, Liverpool
I think tron hit the nail on the head with this one!!
One passage of play in the second half of the EF v * that led to Ziebulls mark and goal, Gibbo got the ball in D50, laid of a handball, ball was kicked to Petrie close to F50, no options visible then Gibbo appears and gets the handball receive which is then fed off to McMillan who kicks to Ziebull.

There really isn't anyone else on our team that offers that.

And, his goal in the EF v * goes down as my favourite goal of the season.

Has his limitations and I don't think anyone doubts that, but he is most definitely best 22.

Back