Past #43: Sam Gibson - #63 '12 RD - 130 consec. NM games (club record) - NM --> ADL for pk91 '17 ND

Apr 1, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton FC
As an outsider I have loads of respect for Gibson. Runs his butt off getting to so many contests and is one of the better 2 way runners in the game.

I've seen many worse players in top sides than Gibson. Yes his kicking ain't great but he provides you guys with an outlet so often late in games. When other players stop, he keeps going. I would think he is well entrenched in your best 22

As an outsider I have loads of respect for Gibson. Runs his butt off getting to so many contests and is one of the better 2 way runners in the game.

I've seen many worse players in top sides than Gibson. Yes his kicking ain't great but he provides you guys with an outlet so often late in games. When other players stop, he keeps going. I would think he is well entrenched in your best 22
Quick, leave, before Arjen finds you.;)

He might be a s**t judge(at the very least his back is hunched from the weight of the bias' he's carrying around), but he has the same right to post here as anyone else, and as long as he doesn't break any rules or be too much of a dick then that shouldn't, and wont, change.. If less people engaged him when he spoke, then he'd have to spend less time writing the same stuff again and again. Best to just ignore it or put it to one side and carry on IMO.

EDIT: If he hasn't changed his mind by now, I doubt anything anytime soon will. So why bother pulling him up on it.

Yeah, fair call. I withdraw.

Moti

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah, fair call. I withdraw.

He is a lock for round one, no doubt. However, his limitations and lack of an outstanding skill should stop him being complacent because if any of the next rung actually finally do something, he may get the tap on the shoulder.

He wouldn't make any of the top 3 sides so that means he is potentially replaceable.

Augustine

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal
Godwin's law is that if an online discussion goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Hitler or Nazis. We have an equivalent on the North BigFooty Board. All threads will eventually lead to discussion about Gibson. No matter what. And yet, ironically the Gibson thread itself isn't very long.

ArjenTheGreat

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2005
Arden St
AFL Club
North Melbourne
ArjenTheGreat - looks like Leppa did recognise Gibson's contribution after all. ;)

Nice find, was it Brad though?

Bruce Matthews gave him a vote in the herald sun in a 3-2-1 voting system. No votes for Ziebell or Cunnington.

6 inside 50's for one scoring assist.
5 critical unforced errors (positive they missed a few)

81 SC points from 33 disposals is almost impossible.

Nice find, was it Brad though?

Bruce Matthews gave him a vote in the herald sun in a 3-2-1 voting system. No votes for Ziebell or Cunnington.

6 inside 50's for one scoring assist.
5 critical unforced errors (positive they missed a few)

81 SC points from 33 disposals is almost impossible.

How many goal assists are you supposed to get per inside 50.

And if Gibson hits the forwards lace out 6 times and 5 times the forward misses how many goal assists does that equal?

Black2Blue

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I've seen newborn baby giraffes kick better off their left foot than Gibbo's shot yesterday.
But, but, but Goldy's a natural left-footer. And he's now officially a mature beast of a giraffe, no longer a newborn baby.
Personally, the way he moves, I would compare Gibbo more to a hyena than a giraffe, but hyenas have crap disposal on the left too, so your point still stands. ;)

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
I love what Gibbo brings to the side but of his 33 touches only two stick in my mind: his disastrous high kick/kick inboard (I can't remember which) in the back half that led to a Brisbane goal and his horrible kick for goal on his left.

How many goal assists are you supposed to get per inside 50.

And if Gibson hits the forwards lace out 6 times and 5 times the forward misses how many goal assists does that equal?

Score assist is the far better stat here, which accounts for the forward missing the goal.

I don't really think we can defend his disposal this week, as much as we'd love to, as it was woeful. The turnovers here and there we expect, just please don't give them a shot at goal from the turnover (especially to Robertson FFS), and don't stroll into goal and have a shot on your left (especially when he had two other forwards he could have worked it out with inside 50), when you have a hard enough time of it, kicking it on your preferred side!

Jeremy Jordan

All Australian
May 2, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I've always said we don't need this guys gut running and his ability to spread and create an option when there is no other. We certainly dont need his ability to be in a link in the majority of our forward movements.

Its about time we brought in someone who is ave 13 touches in the VFL, but goes at 83%.

I rate what Gibson brings more often than not. But that doesn’t mean I’m blind and to be honest I’m surprised that anyone could have him in the votes above others mentioned. It’s not because he’s not “eye catching” enough, put simply it wasn’t one of his better games.

His run is awesome. He needs a special set of instructions when he has it.

His shitness with ball in hand or defending/tackling/2 way running is about 640th in the league.

Roopassion

Team Captain
Aug 26, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
2 way running??? He's one of the best in the league. and while his tackle numbers this year a non existant this year he is actually a very good tackler.

His game on the weekend was average with stats aside. But the one thing from the that I that got my attention was a missed tackle on the wing cause he normally nails every tackle he attempts.

ArjenTheGreat

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2005
Arden St
AFL Club
North Melbourne
he normally nails every tackle he attempts.

Attempt is the key word. Tackle attempt, tackles missed stat would be of interest?

I've always said we don't need this guys gut running and his ability to spread and create an option when there is no other. We certainly dont need his ability to be in a link in the majority of our forward movements.

Its about time we brought in someone who is ave 13 touches in the VFL, but goes at 83%.

Or Bastinac, or Dumont, or indeed a McKenzie who is more what we need, more bang for your buck in space etc. It's not completely outrageous to think that we could actually improve under this scenario.

Anyway, as if there aren't countless other options, his role is to get out of the way mostly and certainly don't kick it. His handball to kick ratio is obviously a coach driven thing, so it's no secret.

2 way running??? He's one of the best in the league. and while his tackle numbers this year a non existant this year he is actually a very good tackler.

His game on the weekend was average with stats aside. But the one thing from the that I that got my attention was a missed tackle on the wing cause he normally nails every tackle he attempts.

Two way running is more than just running back and forth without having any impact, what is the point of running the other direction when you are not going to tackle or put someone under pressure? You might as well just stay where you were.

imo the only way Gibson survives is if we continue to only recruit flankers or if he changes the way he plays, with his tank he would be an excellent candidate for a tagging role, however, he would need to transform his allergic reaction to tackling to play that role.

I hope Gibbo finds a role in the team, I like him as a person and appreciate his work ethic and wish others would work as hard as he does. I just don't think he should be going long or going inside the forward 50, he should be looking to just get the ball into someone else's hands and to protect their space so they can deliver.

Offensively, I was a lot more excited about Wood's 9 disposals than I was about Gibson 33. Gibson 6 inside 50s, 0 goal assists. Wood, 2 inside 50s, 2 goal assists.

Wood isn't going to give us Gibbo's contribution in term of run and carry but he looks good with the ball in his hands. I would rate Gibbo's contribution significantly higher if he altered his role a little bit.

He has survived a lot longer than Anthony because he has played smarter than Anthony has when they have similar weaknesses, however, I think he needs to adapt a bit more. His disposal efficiency should be around 90-95% because he should stick to the short-range dishes to someone else. He should cut the long-game out of his game, needs to play smart like Watson did when he couldn't hit long targets. I think he can be a valued member of a premiership team if he focuses on his strengths and improves more on his weaknesses in terms of the tackling and pressure acts.

Jeremy Jordan

All Australian
May 2, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Attempt is the key word. Tackle attempt, tackles missed stat would be of interest?

Or Bastinac, or Dumont, or indeed a McKenzie who is more what we need, more bang for your buck in space etc. It's not completely outrageous to think that we could actually improve under this scenario.

Anyway, as if there aren't countless other options, his role is to get out of the way mostly and certainly don't kick it. His handball to kick ratio is obviously a coach driven thing, so it's no secret.

Not sure if there is countless other options, especially not those names you stated. I can guarantee if Gibson was ever out of the side, we would all be watching the game screaming 'who the hell is providing an option' or wondering why the bloke replacing Gibbo has blown up in the 3rd. I reckon he may be a 'dont know what you got till its gone' type. I think now that Gibbo has fallen into the whipping boy category with North supporters, every clanger will be remembered and all the good things he does forgotten.

Rockstar6

Premiership Player
Dec 23, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Utah Jazz
If he had half or three quarters of the foot skills of a Dal Santo, Harvey or Wells, he would be a superstar!

Back