Past #43: Sam Gibson - #63 '12 RD - 130 consec. NM games (club record) - NM --> ADL for pk91 '17 ND

Remove this Banner Ad

Ya know I agree with the thread, polarising is a great would to describe Sam I am.

Green eggs and ham wouldn't be something I'd be rushing into.

But if ya haven't eaten in a week...

2014 Sam I am had 615 disposals I'd guess that 500 found there mark.

McKenize is a beautiful user of the ball apparently, I wouldn't know.

upload_2015-4-14_18-22-17.jpeg

A big wrap for Sam here - http://www.sportsfan.com.au/six-pla..._article_sixplayersmakingthemostof2015_240415. I'll admit that the numbers surprised me.

Impressive stats for Gibbo. If only he didn't undo them with the odd, and they are odd (despite what his detractors would have you believe), poor disposal. He plays a key role in our side, no doubt, and it's with even greater responsibility due to the outs.

Looking at the article though, the first name which pops up is NicNat, who's taken a grand total of 1 contested mark in three rounds.

In the first half against the Power where I felt we were being totally dominated, it was always Sam Gibson doing the gut running and providing that outlet kick.

Yes, he's no Darren Jarman. But I think people underrate his importance to our side.

From memory, he picked up 20 disposals in the first half with 97% time on ground. How the f$%k he manages to run so hard for so long without a spell in on the bench is beyond me.

Like it or not, Gibbo is a vital cog in our side. Calls for him to be dropped are ludicrous.

Impressive stats for Gibbo. If only he didn't undo them with the odd, and they are odd (despite what his detractors would have you believe), poor disposal. He plays a key role in our side, no doubt, and it's with even greater responsibility due to the outs.

Looking at the article though, the first name which pops up is NicNat, who's taken a grand total of 1 contested mark in three rounds.
Don't worry, some eagles supporters are on the main board stating that he was the best ruck in the first two rounds.

Don't worry, some eagles supporters are on the main board stating that he was the best ruck in the first two rounds.

They're flying hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh...............

Was shown a stat the other day that he averages the most clanger kicks per game of any North player since 1999.
Did you see a stat of where he sits for average possessions per game for every North player since 1999?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubt he'd be right up there. I don't mind Gibson. Good stat, though.
It's all about context mate. The bloke who gets more ball is going to * up more than someone who gets it less.

Disposal efficiency is surely key in this debate. If two players average the same disposal efficiency playing the same sort of role and one averages 30 possessions a game and the other averages 20 possessions then clearly the 30 possession man will muck up more in number terms but equally will provide more effective disposals in a game and is the better contributor to the team. Gibbo is a very valuable contributor to our team in my opinion because he gets the ball so often. He is also usually a fairly reliable shot at goal.

It's all about context mate. The bloke who gets more ball is going to **** up more than someone who gets it less.
This. I'd rather a player who stuffs up 10 of his 30 possessions than a player that has 12-13 perfect touches.

This. I'd rather a player who stuffs up 10 of his 30 possessions than a player that has 12-13 perfect touches.
Again, context is important. If the guy getting it 12-13 times and uses it perfectly is playing in the forward 50 then s**t, he be a gun. Gibbo goes at 71.4% efficiency this season with 3.3 clangers a game, meaning that he has 24.7 possies a game that aren't clangers. He also averages 18.3 uncontested possessions a game (9.3 contested which happens to be the third most at the club and 4.7 clearances which again, is 3rd most at the club) which means that he gives us an out so many ******* times a game it ain't funny. As it stands he is our most rounded currently fit midfielder. That he torches it at times aint perfect but if he didn't he would be a star.

Not when some of those clangers are going into the corridor and rebound for goals.

Was shown a stat the other day that he averages the most clanger kicks per game of any North player since 1999.

Without looking at that list, he was $1.01 @ sportsbet for that honour.

Look I thought he was good in the first half but once again lots of s**t handballs putting blokes under pressure. Watching Wood hit up a forward target shows the profound class gap between a good user and Gibbo. Kicking/handballing the ball so its as easy as possible to mark is a skill that he is yet to master. 6 inside 50's but no real bang for your buck, some went coast to coast for Port I50's.

He should be in the guts helping Swallow(if he plays at all), not getting cheap stats.

In the first half against the Power where I felt we were being totally dominated, it was always Sam Gibson doing the gut running and providing that outlet kick.

Yes, he's no Darren Jarman. But I think people underrate his importance to our side.

From memory, he picked up 20 disposals in the first half with 97% time on ground. How the f$%k he manages to run so hard for so long without a spell in on the bench is beyond me.

Like it or not, Gibbo is a vital cog in our side. Calls for him to be dropped are ludicrous.

Good points. Gibson was one player that really stood up in the first half. He made a couple of obvious mistakes by foot that seem to overshadow the rest of his work.

Won't happen and shouldn't happen. We can't replace his run. A lot of hate for Gibbo on here.
It's not hate. It's the growing unwillingness to accept mediocre performances given the demographic profile of the team. That was his worst, but not his only 'average' performance so far this year.

That said, I think he has the maturity to turn it around and rediscover his best form.

It's not hate. It's the growing unwillingness to accept mediocre performances given the demographic profile of the team. That was his worst, but not his only 'average' performance so far this year.

That said, I think he has the maturity to turn it around and rediscover his best form.

So do I, as long as it doesn't cost us games.

Gibbo was very good against Port. A couple of dodgy disposals kept him out of our top 3. People are dropping him for one bad game.

Yes Gibbo was sound against Port, but he's now had three average/poor games out of 4.

I think it's more the fact it's a really hard best 22 to fit everyone in, as much as people wanting to drop Gibson per se.

Whoever goes out (assuming LMac, Wells and JMac are fit and selected) are probably going to be slightly to very unlucky....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back