Past #44: Max Warren - club announces Max's contract will not be renewed (29 September) thanks Max

Remove this Banner Ad

In one of the preseason training threads last season I commented that Max was getting a lot of focus from coaches and players during match simulation. He was creating play from the backline, looked sharp and you'd have thought he was set for bigger things.

While his numbers are unspectacular in the VFL he's looked pretty accountable and I think he's played with the composure of a more senior player.

The club obviously rate his character. Maybe he's one of those incredibly slow burners like Michael Osborne - the type who are always on the edge of the squad but have the mental strength to keep improving and contribute to the team when fully matured.

Warren did a handy job in his one AFL game limiting his opponent in tough conditions.

Playing a role at AFL level is not all about getting possies, despite supercoach fiends suggesting otherwise.

If he works hard on the track and liked by the group, I have no issue with Warren being re-rookied.

Hopefully he adds other facets to his game and becomes a surprise packet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Okay so I've made my opinions painfully and annoyingly known. So let's get some balance. Can someone tell me his best qualities that the coaching team may see in him?
Well, we know he's the sort of bloke who will spend his holidays at the club for a chance to get back on the rookie list.

Okay so I've made my opinions painfully and annoyingly known. So let's get some balance. Can someone tell me his best qualities that the coaching team may see in him?

Good run and carry
Strong in the contest and overhead
Studies his opponents and sticks to defensive tasks
Extremely dedicated, strict diet etc and does everything coaches ask of him

Can't see him making it personally with our defensive depth, but you can't fault His work rate or effort!

Atley and Mullett would be more valuable upfield and I'm in the minority that don't think Luke is quick - talented yes - but not quick enough to close in on opponents quickly.

Maxie carving a Makepeace style small defender/rebounder role would be help release all 3 of the above to play more damaging roles.

Atley and Mullett would be more valuable upfield and I'm in the minority that don't think Luke is quick - talented yes - but not quick enough to close in on opponents quickly.

Maxie carving a Makepeace style small defender/rebounder role would be help release all 3 of the above to play more damaging roles.
I thought Hine would have made that role is own. Seemed to have more upside than Warren. Disposal has obviously really cost him. Make some nice spoils and tackles in that Brisbane game. Best of luck to him.

I thought Hine would have made that role is own. Seemed to have more upside than Warren. Disposal has obviously really cost him. Make some nice spoils and tackles in that Brisbane game. Best of luck to him.

From the few games I've watched of nth ballarat maxy's kicking ain't that much better than Hine's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back