Rohan Bail

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7415/newsid/80415/default.aspx

Bail eager to take the next step

Joshua Close 4:23 PM Fri 10 July, 2009

Persistence and hard work paid off for Rohan Bail when he was selected at pick no. 64 by the Demons in 2008 – in his seventh AFL draft.

A quad injury at the start of 2009 provided another setback for Bail, but the 20 year-old Queenslander has recovered and is working hard to get back on track for an AFL debut.

“My fitness is good,” Bail said.

“My current form’s not where I want it to be. I started off alright for Casey, then the injury came along - It’s probably taken me a little longer than I’d hoped to get some good form going.”

“I know I’ve got a lot to learn. I’m still improving, and I’m playing new positions in the VFL to what I’m used to.”

“At the moment I’m really enjoying it, despite my form not being that awesome. It’s definitely taking a lot of getting used to – but I’m trying to use my dash a bit more out of half-back.”

Bail’s ‘dash’ is indeed impressive. He has won numerous state titles in track & field and cross country, and is a natural born midfielder/winger.

“When I was younger I started running a lot. Not being very big or skilful at the time, it definitely helped me get noticed by people.”

“But yeah, AFL was always the priority.”

Having been overlooked in the national, pre-season and rookie drafts in 2006 and 2007, Bail described finally being drafted to the Demons as “a dream come true.”

“I was ecstatic.”

“Having not been drafted in 2006, I don’t think I was ready at the time anyway, so I knew there was a fair bit of hard work I had to put in.”

Bail said that coming in to the AFL system later was also advantageous off the field, “having done a couple of years of uni. I’ve already taken that step now, and gained a bit more experience.”

The 2009 NAB Cup provided Bail with his first dose of AFL football – an experience he describes as “excellent”.

“It was good to get a bit of a taste. The pace of it took a bit of getting used to, but once I did – it was definitely a lot of fun, once you stick to the team structures,” he said."

Bail is an exciting prospect. In 2008, he represented Queensland and finished fourth in the Grogan Medal, the AFLQ’s best and fairest.

He was also a part of the 2006 U18 Queensland team, which produced 11 eventual AFL draftees and seven rookies.

Liam Jurrah’s recent elevation from Casey is sure to give Bail some belief that an AFL debut in 2009 is a definite possibility.

“It’s good to see some of the young fellas going well, like Jamie (Bennell) and Neville (Jetta), people like that.” Bail explained.

He also hailed the Demons senior players as being very supportive with the younger players.

“When I first moved down I lived with Paul Johnson, he was a real help. People like Brent Moloney, Cameron Bruce and Jared Rivers really take you under their wing and help you out with whatever you need.”

for melbournefc.com.au

That last paragraph is the most interesting part of that article, most of it is just the standard line from a new draftee.

Moloney, Bruce and Rivers. The more I hear about Moloney, the more I love the man.

A similar article was written pre season about him, seemingly taken sometime to adapt to the speed and intensity required.

Reading a few mentions of him in the VFL , it sounded like his skills also needed a bit of work. Hopefully they come along because a pacy wingman/midfielder would be handy. I would expect him to off played round this time next year. Looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Seems like a nice kid. Would be better for us if he was more 'footballer' than 'athlete' though...

Still got another year to show what he can do. i'm not at all convinced on his AFL credentials from what i've seen so far TBH...

Im not surprised about the Moloney wrap. He should be one of the 1st players signed up based on what he offers us off the field. Great guy from all reports, and a good AFL footballer at his best...

No idea. He got a touch early on and it was a nice kick. I didn't see him again. On the radio SEN later they were going through the best first year player votes and KB, the w***er that he is of course, laughed that Bail wouldn't get it. I hope that means it wasn't a serious injury though. I didn't see him limp off the bench or anything at the end of the game so maybe he went to hospital?

If that's the case why didn't he drop out?
I wonder whether there simply wasn't anyone available?

Usually you'd take one emergency, and PJ was already in for Riv. If he was injured though in the warm-up, why did he play at all? He definitely got a kick early on.

I wonder whether there simply wasn't anyone available?

Usually you'd take one emergency, and PJ was already in for Riv. If he was injured though in the warm-up, why did he play at all? He definitely got a kick early on.

Hmm, yeah, that may be true. I guess they're forced to name 22-players at the start of each game regardless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not much use unless he's there and ready to go.

Joel Selwood was half way through a Mars Bar when he was a late replacement for Nathan Ablett in 2007 against us.

You'd have hoped he'd be at the ground even if not an emergency.

I saw Colin Garland with his very nice looking girlfriend at a cafe in DFO as I left the ground. Get him to pull on the boots :p

He was flicking around some bit of paper and then dropped it and had to pick it up.

...I found that interesting.

You'd have hoped he'd be at the ground even if not an emergency.

I saw Colin Garland with his very nice looking girlfriend at a cafe in DFO as I left the ground. Get him to pull on the boots :p

He was flicking around some bit of paper and then dropped it and had to pick it up.

...I found that interesting.

His GF and I run in similar circles but then again thats Tassie. Can not wait for next season to start our re emergence begins round 1.

From afl.com.au :

Melbourne's cause received an early blow when first-gamer Rohan Bail copped a knock to the head and left the ground in the first minute. He went back on briefly, but medical staff soon put an end to his day.

They then listed his injury as a quad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back