VFL Past #65: Shaun McKernan šŸ“ - Returns to the Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

Mckernan either replaces JD or Carlisle or replaces T-bell as a ruck. There is no place for him to be a relief ruck.
Incorrect. He can take Ambrose's spot.

Surely they're seriously considering it - didn't they pull him off the ground at 3/4 time?
About 10 minutes into the 3rd.

About 10 minutes into the 3rd.
Even earlier than I though, so this has to mean he's a genuine chance to play Friday night - especially as it was such a short break between the VFL game and Friday night's game.

when he does get the call up, he's going end up being so disapointing around here, purely because he's been hyped so much that he'll never meet expectations
We should be all be used to that feeling by now.

Instead of killing Joey and Jake and poor Ambrose, let's get a ruck/forward in.

Also this means we need two fleet footed small forwards who can put some serious pressure and kick some roving goals.

For now it has to be Fantasia and Edwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Edwards lays pressure and kicks roving goals?

News to me.

They need to be training him up in the VFL as the number 1 ruck. I hope this is happening and hes getting match fitness of a ruck. Surely he isnt far behind TBC in that regard anyway?

Im in the boat that he can only replace Joey or Carlisle or TBC

Instead of killing Joey and Jake and poor Ambrose, let's get a ruck/forward in.

Also this means we need two fleet footed small forwards who can put some serious pressure and kick some roving goals.

For now it has to be Fantasia and Edwards.
Can you get over this idea that Edwards is an immediate inclusion? He is nowhere near there in the VFL and has never been a fleet footed small forward who'll apply pressure. It's so unrealistic its scary

I don't blame you. If you haven't seen him play in the last few weeks you will need to let go of the perceptions of him based on his previous AFL appearances.

It's a big 'if'...but if he translates his ground level intensity, clean hands, accurate kicking and team orientation into the big leagues, he is a longish term KPF3/second ruck.

Settling that position means that we only need to give Daniher a run on ball if he needs it and provides a mature and genuine marking target to help shift some of the focus from Daniher and Carlisle which would be a really important thing for the team.

I personally think that structurally one genuine KPF and a 2nd ruck is fine. Especially with Ambrose around 193 and Laverde, Langford and Edwards around 190.

I'd be happy to bring McKernan in as that 2nd ruck/forward and send Carlisle to the backline. Play Fletch up forward while we wait for the other three. Carlisle, Hurley and Hooker is a great set up and covers all bases. If opposition goes small forward line then Hurls can take a smaller player and Carlisle forward. Having both Hurley and Carlisle back means we can swing either or forward if the need arises. Another option is having a game plan where we normally have all three down back but choose a patch in a quarter where we throw everything at the opposition with Hurley going to half forward and play the best possible midfield for game and see if we can bang a few goals quickly.

Also with an eye to the list management thread I started the club has to admit to itself that they are both more value as backmen, as is Hooker. If they don't think they can play all three down there then trade one of them for a quality KPF. However, I think they would work well as a trio, for reasons I gave above.

if he gets a game.....

im out ... good vfl player

spud at the highest level

I'm looking forward to him getting a game.

Not a superstar, but a point of difference for an underperforming ruck/forward line.

And, importantly IMO, has pressed his claims in the correct fashion, by playing some good footy in the twos.

I'm looking forward to him getting a game.

Not a superstar, but a point of difference for an underperforming ruck/forward line.

And, importantly IMO, has pressed his claims in the correct fashion, by playing some good footy in the twos.
honestly we need to try something ....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back