VFL Past #65: Shaun McKernan 🐴 - Returns to the Dons

Remove this Banner Ad

Performed above expectations. Must admit I am already thinking we could probably just shift Carlisle back and play Mckernan in future weeks. Particularly when Fletcher is out.

Or we could just play Mckernan instead of Ambrose. Having a second player who can give a strong contest in the ruck made a huge difference compared to playing the likes of JD/Carlisle/Ambrose who are all pretty rubbish in the ruck currently.

Can't drop the only player who applies pressure in our forward 50 (Ambrose)

Performed above expectations. Must admit I am already thinking we could probably just shift Carlisle back and play Mckernan in future weeks. Particularly when Fletcher is out.

Or we could just play Mckernan instead of Ambrose. Having a second player who can give a strong contest in the ruck made a huge difference compared to playing the likes of JD/Carlisle/Ambrose who are all pretty rubbish in the ruck currently.
its noted that Rucks dont mature till there around 24/25 an these guys are still under that age barrier.

I reckon we cycle through the following scenarios to keep Mckernan in the side;
1. When there is a tall forward line to defend against, we play Carlisle back with Fletch loose man.
2. When we are playing against a tall defense we just add him to the current structure.
3. We rest JD
4. If JD is in form (or is due a game) then as a last resort we play Mckernan as the sub with the intention of subbing out TBC, but if not then at least we have a faster team on the ground until we get that injury. Also we lack intensity on the inside late in the game so i don't think Mckernan would be a bad sub regardless.

Benefits of the above scenarios are that Carlisle gains confidence when playing back and i think JD could benefit from being able to work on some things in the VFL every now and then.

Last edited:
He looked a different player to his Adelaide days, not sure it was just the haircut but i havnt seen him look as mobile ever before in his career. Was a bit monstered in the ruck by one of the best in the comp but was good at ground level, that clearance and give to Colyer was brilliant.

Maybe its time. Carlilse back. Mckernan forward allows a chop out for TBC. Either TBC, Smack or JoeyD get subbed, bring on a runner. Maybe look to push Carlisle forward late if his confidence is up and about.

Could be important against S.Martin, i know TBC wont be running with Martin.

Mckernan and Martin similar sizes. Hopefully he can do what Martin has done in the last 2 years and turned his career around as the number 1 ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least in the forward line it won't work, and Hird likes Ambrose so he won't get dropped for McKernan. There will not be enough forward pressure anyway. I'd like to see him have a good go at replacing Bellchambers as the sole ruck though, if he is capable

i agree with hirdy in that mckernan had a great first half. i was surprised to see him looking quite disinterested at stages in the second half and he didnt want to run hard or go for marks. maybe he was spent but yeah i think the difference between him making it and not will be all mental. he has all the tools to be a decent AFL player

did I just hear hird say there is no room for he and buckets in the same side? On Sen
Wouldnt have surprised me. Its my thinking aswell, unless we move Carlisle back which even then im not too comfortable on doing.

You misheard him, he said that there is no reason that they both can't play at the same time.

i agree with hirdy in that mckernan had a great first half. i was surprised to see him looking quite disinterested at stages in the second half and he didnt want to run hard or go for marks. maybe he was spent but yeah i think the difference between him making it and not will be all mental. he has all the tools to be a decent AFL player
Coming off a 5 day break he played VFL the previous Sunday

Remove this Banner Ad

Back