Past Blaine Johnson

Remove this Banner Ad

Champion Data picks the top 30 draft prospects of 2013
If Champion Data was picking from a schoolyard this is how next week's national draft order would look.

It only includes players who appeared at the national Under-18 championships.

29. BLAINE JOHNSON

Was WA's second-leading goalkicker at the carnival. In-between size makes for a tough match-up on lead or overhead.

2013 draft prospect: Blaine Johnson
Code:
2013 STATS
Comp    P    K*    H*    M*    G
U18s    5    7.4    4.4    3.4    11
WAFL Colts    9    11.9    6.2    4.6    14

Highlights

Blues seek goals with Johnson
Within hours of Carlton selecting Blaine Johnson with pick No.43 in yesterday's rookie draft, the WA forward received a call from his new coach Mick Malthouse.

"It was a bit of a shock at first. I didn't really believe it was him," Johnson said. "He actually seemed pretty chilled. Probably didn't want to scare me too early."

Promoted to the South Fremantle reserves at the end of the season, he went on to win the best-on-ground medal in the club's reserves premiership with five goals.

"I thought I had maybe a 50-50 chance," the young Bulldog said. "I didn't really get my hopes up.

"I was pretty shocked actually but it was a big relief at the same time."

That's funny that he gets called a small forward because there's some good size about him.

Given that Johnson is the player we've least spoken about this year to date, he's done pretty well in his first couple of outings.
He's shown himself to have good hands and plays somewhat taller than his 186cm and hasn't missed any shots at goal that I recall.
One 50 meter goal last week was quite impressive as you could have ticked it off the second it left his boot.

As with any kid, the tank needs building but as with Reynolds...............so far, so good.

That's funny that he gets called a small forward because there's some good size about him.

Given that Johnson is the player we've least spoken about this year to date, he's done pretty well in his first couple of outings.
He's shown himself to have good hands and plays somewhat taller than his 186cm and hasn't missed any shots at goal that I recall.
One 50 meter goal last week was quite impressive as you could have ticked it off the second it left his boot.

As with any kid, the tank needs building but as with Reynolds...............so far, so good.

Johnson's statistics read nicely for his first two games at VFL level.

Round 1
18 disposals (13 kicks, 5 handballs), 9 marks, 3 tackles & 1 behind

Round 2
15 disposals (10 kicks, 5 handballs), 5 marks, 2 tackles & 2 goals

Encouraging signs that he's managing to get his hands on the ball a fair amount, presumably from mainly playing off a flank.

Carlton is seriously lacking in mid-sized forwards who can present well and hit up a target entering into the forward 50. To potentially have two developing through the reserves - Johnson as well as Reynolds - is a real plus.

Not expecting any miracles from Blaine but if he manages to cement his spot in the Northern Blues senior side we'll be very happy. Appears to have started very positively.

Would have been in the best 3 for the NB's on the weekend.

Blaine really has some nice traits about him.
He can stop dead in his tracks and then just shoot off again, knows where the goals are and is a very good mark overhead.

Had his number changed for some reason this week from 13 to 45, but oddly it didn't effect his output... :)

He may well have a shocker next week, but the coaches would have seen enough already to know they have plenty to work with.

I like the look of this guy, rckon he will get an AFL game this year?
Latter part of the season I think we will see him in the AFL. There is a lot to like about the kid (he is still only 18). I reckon his best chance of getting a game is if Malthouse finally loses patience with Jeffy & decides that having a small/crumbing forward is not a necessary part of our structure.

Johnson won't have the tricks of Jeffy, or his speed, but he is good overhead, good on the lead, a fairly reliable set shot & not slow by any stretch of the imagination. I see him as a Brad Pearce type forward.

Latter part of the season I think we will see him in the AFL. There is a lot to like about the kid (he is still only 18). I reckon his best chance of getting a game is if Malthouse finally loses patience with Jeffy & decides that having a small/crumbing forward is not a necessary part of our structure.

Johnson won't have the tricks of Jeffy, or his speed, but he is good overhead, good on the lead, a fairly reliable set shot & not slow by any stretch of the imagination. I see him as a Brad Pearce type forward.

Any player comparison in the way he plays?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahhh, I know it well - the crime scene scene with Bunk and McNutty.
Seeing Bunk as Robert Zane in Suits doesn't feel right.
Seeing Tommy Carcetti as Littlefinger doesn't feel right.
Seeing the Ribs Restaurant owner in House of Cards doesn't feel right.

List goes on, Michael B Jordan is in everything nowadays too...YO WHERE'S WALLACE?!

But back on topic, zee ;)

Who's looking the more likely of Johnson and Reynolds? Could they both make an impact in seniors this year?
Reynolds is playing almost a full forward role with occasional stints down half back.

Johnson has shown more at the moment and his practise game against the Dogs after 3 quarters in the VFL was very good, caught the eye of many. Reynolds is a better size and has more tools but on the 6 or so games they've played Johnson has had a settled position and hit the scoreboard more.

I rate both as promising but some drastic improvement would have to come for them to become AFL players...They're both sort of a poor man's Wayde Twomey right now but obviously have 8 or so more years to catch up and surpass him.

Who's looking the more likely of Johnson and Reynolds? Could they both make an impact in seniors this year?

At this stage, clearly Johnson.

Not convinced he's ready for senior action just yet but he's certainly been very impressive.

Reynolds still has a long way to go. Hasn't adjusted to the pace anywhere near as quickly as Blaine has managed to.

At this stage, clearly Johnson.

Not convinced he's ready for senior action just yet but he's certainly been very impressive.

Reynolds still has a long way to go. Hasn't adjusted to the pace anywhere near as quickly as Blaine has managed to.
Blaine also has the more AFL ready body. Interesting to note he didn't go to Arizona and stayed to train with the likes of Juddy etc...sakc Arizona! [/waits for A_McKay to put me in his black book]

Think it was Harks who said he plays the same sort of game as Stevie J but obviously not as prolific.

He's that lead up half forward who looks good when linking up in the midfield.

I did say that didn't I. :)

He does hold himself and move in a similar way a young S. Johnson did.
He flicks himself around pretty quickly to move the ball goal-wards and has very nice hands around the ball and in the air.

We'd love him to be half the player a Stevie J or Jack Darling are and that's quite unlikely but he just seems to holding some tricks back.
Luke Reyonlds is very much a "you get what you see" type player but Blaine really has some added interest for me, at least..........We'll see.

Would love to know what sort of character he is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back