Delisted 45. Joel Hamling (2012-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 2011 National Draft selection No. 32 - Joel Hamling

Interesting comments from Joel in the West today. Claims he rocks up to games 10 minutes before the start and doesn't eat right !! Reckons he is looking forward to giving it a crack and spending time in the gym...............

If he ate right and actualy prpared right I think he would have been a better, bigger and more mobile player. He would have been a West Sydney boy now but thanks to him and Wells we got him, with 2 things we can easily fix that will improve him more then he knows.

Job "Wells" done

Our first player drafted in this years draft will probably end up being the last one who gets a senior gig. Our other recruits including the North Ballarat giant will all be physically more ready for AFL.

With the comments before from this young chap about rocking up to training and not doing any weights or eating right, it's a testament to his natural athleticism to even be drafted at all.

He may well be akin to a child prodigy who never studies before an exam, yet arrives at the test and still gets an A-. Or, who has been given 2 months for an assignment, has spent the last 2 months devoted to other things, and wings it on the last night before it's due having done no draft copies and very minimal research, only to get higher marks than 9/10 students.

This kid could be anything, if he puts his mind to it. I think he's going to be a gun and could well be a more athletic Andrew Mackie who hopefully can bulk up a bit more and have a few more bows to his string, if he can play both key forward and defence.

Prior to this year playing with the Claremont colts he was playing in Broome for Cable Beach in the seniors. The west kimberley football league isn't particularly strong and isn't very professional in terms of training etc so Joel wouldn't have been exposed to the type of professional environment that city based juniors would have been.

I dare say there's a fair bit of polishing to be done and I'd guess your recruiters have seen some untapped potential there that others either didn't see or didn't want to spend the time developing as their needs were more immediate than yours.

The Gospel According to Emma Quale

"GEELONG: Two years ago the Cats traded one choice for two, slightly down the order. They ended up with Allan Christensen and Nathan Vardy when they would otherwise have landed just one. The club did the same thing this year, sacrificing its first choice, in the 20s, for two in the early 30s, and the end result is just as promising. Joel Hamling is one of the skinniest kids you will lay your eyes on, but he has enormous talent and is going to a club that can a) afford him that time and b) has a habit of getting the best out of kids."

Didn't mind the look of the kid in the Sun Herald photo with Scott and the rest of the recruits.

He'll respond to the training and body development program very quickly I believe, because he appears to have an upright, strong frame, not as fragile as Mitch Brown I would say.

Has enoromous potential as a running tall, could be a match-winner in time, if he can run all day.

Nickname - Hammer?

His nickname is "hammertime", he's a top footy player. i played with him in juniors and regional footy for the kimberley. he can play anywhere and back home the best way to describe his leap was "jumps like a black man" if not higher. his only downfall back home was he'd rather chat with everyone than lift weights. but ive been keeping in touch with him since being drafted and geelong have got him in the gym regularly. there is no doubt in my mind that joel will make it, once he reaches a weight suitable to play afl he will be a big part of the team.

good luck mate

His nickname is "hammertime", he's a top footy player. i played with him in juniors and regional footy for the kimberley. he can play anywhere and back home the best way to describe his leap was "jumps like a black man" if not higher. his only downfall back home was he'd rather chat with everyone than lift weights. but ive been keeping in touch with him since being drafted and geelong have got him in the gym regularly. there is no doubt in my mind that joel will make it, once he reaches a weight suitable to play afl he will be a big part of the team.

good luck mate

Hybrid Mackie/Taylor ? Mackie took for ever to get a body that was AFL resilient and Taylor has a great set of hands and a nice leap. Pencil him in for sometime in 2014

Joel will be fine, know his family well and uncle is a monster......so he'll definately fill out. Has great hands and the leap to make them more than useful.

He is a quietly spoken kid, and probably didn't quite know what he was getting himself into having basically come from Broome only 18 monthsd ago,but is enjoying settling in down in Geelong at the moment and can't say enough good things about his team mates and the whole club.

Looking forward to see him get a run in the NAB Cup, which will be great for him so that he can see the level he needs to reach. Don't honestly think he'll play any real games this year, but you never know what the gym could do for him.

Joel will be fine, know his family well and uncle is a monster......so he'll definately fill out. Has great hands and the leap to make them more than useful.

He is a quietly spoken kid, and probably didn't quite know what he was getting himself into having basically come from Broome only 18 monthsd ago,but is enjoying settling in down in Geelong at the moment and can't say enough good things about his team mates and the whole club.

Looking forward to see him get a run in the NAB Cup, which will be great for him so that he can see the level he needs to reach. Don't honestly think he'll play any real games this year, but you never know what the gym could do for him.

Great to hear. He looks to have a big journey ahead but Mackie ,Lonergan etc had goal post thin bodies to start with. I think Geelongs a good fit for him as we have no desperate , immediate need.He will get time and I doubt there would be a better club group to learn from atm. Hope he has got some Hoodies for winter but , will be a shock V Broome.

I want to know if he was injured at the end of the year or they just left him out to have a better chance of winning (by playing McLean instead) in the VFL finals.

I recall somewhere he was playing VFL reserves. Skinny bloke is skinny. Looking at the GFC site he is 80kg and Blicavs is 78kg. So he is about the same physique as a guy who has never trained for footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I recall somewhere he was playing VFL reserves. Skinny bloke is skinny. Looking at the GFC site he is 80kg and Blicavs is 78kg. So he is about the same physique as a guy who has never trained for footy.
He reckon's he's put on 7kg since getting drafted and is at about 85 according to this.

How did this bloke look in the VFL this year?

Did some nice things in patches during the year with the vfl side (we don't have vfl reserves), reads the play well and though built like a burnt match he seems to have the frame to build up and once he adds an engine and a bit of experience I can see him play that Harry Taylor/ floating 3rd tall role. But it won't be a regular gig til 2015 by my reckoning. The boy can play :thumbsu:

Pretty sure they left him out due to,to many talls and his the rawest of them all.Remember there is a lot of talls scully,mclean,gillies,bathie,brown&walker,along with the rucks of dawson and bigO.Also vards played some games aswell.

I questioned that as I thought it was club policy to play listed players first and foremost, but even if fit I think it was the right decision, don't see how being rag-dolled by bigger older bodies and possibly costing us a flag would've aided his development, much better having him hit the gym and gearing up for a Big pre-season.

joel-hamling-mark-jpg.13113

you pick one said:
That's sensibly,however if you watched the same clip as me, he never held one over head mark,and thats a worry given the whole idea is to show him at his best.​

He didn't go for any did he? Superior reading of the play meant he was in the right spots where opponents were floundering.

For those who may be concerned that Joel Hamling cannot take a mark over his head.

I think that he can.

Image from http://www.facebook.com/BendigoBankersPhotos
Some of the fine work of Arj Giese

I want to know if he was injured at the end of the year or they just left him out to have a better chance of winning (by playing McLean instead) in the VFL finals.

I was pretty sure one of our injury reports towards the end of the year said he had turf toe.

Should be well and truly over that now though, and with McLean and Gillies no longer with us, he'll get plenty of opportunities at vfl level.

I was pretty sure one of our injury reports towards the end of the year said he had turf toe.

Should be well and truly over that now though, and with McLean and Gillies no longer with us, he'll get plenty of opportunities at vfl level.

Although No1 pick for us, he was a low thirty pick, Wells took him on potential, body and ability, he must've seen plenty there.
I'll watch for him this year.

I really liked the look of him over here at the weekend
Of the newbies it was Hamling and Blicavs that stood out.
Hamling looked a little on the light side but defenitely has great speed , poise and skills ( it seems) - based on what we saw from not much game time
Looks like he doesn't mind the contest as he layed plenty of tackles - including the Mayne tackle whic injured him.
Reckon he is one to watch and could surprise.

I really liked the look of him over here at the weekend
Of the newbies it was Hamling and Blicavs that stood out.
Hamling looked a little on the light side but defenitely has great speed , poise and skills ( it seems) - based on what we saw from not much game time
Looks like he doesn't mind the contest as he layed plenty of tackles - including the Mayne tackle whic injured him.
Reckon he is one to watch and could surprise.

It's all up from here, good choice Wellsey!... the boy is going to come good, don't you worry about that!!

And big Blicavs' he's full on serious to succeed as well.

It's all up from here, good choice Wellsey!... the boy is going to come good, don't you worry about that!!

And big Blicavs' he's full on serious to succeed as well.

We now have a collection of some pretty young , tall athletic types - Blicavs , Murdoch , Hamling , Brown , Vardy .
The game is a changin'..........

Remove this Banner Ad

Back