Delisted #45: Johnny Rayner

Remove this Banner Ad

Definitely retain him next year. Seeing as he doesn't take up a list spot it's a no-brainer.

Can Cat B rookies be upgraded due to LTIs?
Yes. In essence he's a "bonus" rookie.

I like him. Fast, great aerobic capacity and not afraid to get his hands dirty. Skills need a bit of work plus needs to put on some weight.

Do people think he'd ideally be capable of an Isaac Smith type role?
No. His kicking is nowhere near as good and plays more inside than Smith (not very difficult, mind). I'm struggling to think of a comparison, actually

No. His kicking is nowhere near as good and plays more inside than Smith (not very difficult, mind). I'm struggling to think of a comparison, actually

I haven't seen much the 2s this year, but I do remember thinking he had a very high grip on the ball and that his kicking might need work. But that was only off one or two games, so not sure if that's accurate.

Have just seen a report, stating that he, along with Hardingham and Gregory have been delisted. Haven't seen it anywhere else though, so y'know, grain of salt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's odd. I'm sure I read positive reports from the VFL crew over the season. In any event, sounds like it was the club's decision rather than Rayner's.
Oh yeah absolutely, wasn't a bad player, but the skills he had were more suited for VFL over AFL. It wouldn't surprise me if the club just kind of thought that we don't have room for "project players" with all that's going on.

Honestly still think he was harshly dealt with. Reckon he was worth the full 3 years.

He decided to focus on his medical doctor career so it was an amicable decision hence why he's back at the club helping out in a medical capacity. With Bruce Reid finishing soon a guy like Rayner could be a handy addition to the medical team.

Just on this, have some ties around Melbourne Uni, can tell you he was not really sold on a career in AFL. Was more interested in being a doctor, can you believe that?

I think he is done with his studies, and is well, actually a doctor now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back