Delisted #45: Johnny Rayner

Remove this Banner Ad

This kid excites me. The fact that he already has a 'football base' should see him come on fairly quickly if he is good enough.

Seein blicavs progress makes me excited because blicavs didn't have the skills base. This guy has a footy background and elite fitness. Could become anything I reckon.

Just realised how skinny he is, bugger me

Red and Black Preview, #45, Johnny Rayner

The Running Man

Johnny Rayner

Height: 184cms

Weight: 68kgs

Games: 0

Position: Wing

Fantasy Relevance: No

Look Out For: Aerobic capacity, Chicken legs

Rayner’s given up a lot to chase his AFL dream. Formerly a TAC cup star, now a national 1500 metre running champion and medical student, Rayner approached the club late last year and asked for a try out, and clearly the club liked what it saw, immediately signing him up as a rookie through the AFL’s alternative talent pathway.

Rayner comes to the club with a strong football background, having played TAC cup football for the Western Jets in 2009 and been named in the midfield in the TAC cup team of the year alongside AFL stars Dustin Martin and Ryan Bastinac . Despite this, Rayner was overlooked in that year’s draft and devoted his attention to athletics until early last year when he decided he wanted to give footy a second crack.

What to expect in 2014: At only 68 kilos Rayner has a hell of a lot to do in the gym before he’s ready for senior football, but despite that his running power is already a major weapon, so expect him to win a lot of ball on the outside in the VFL (what he does with it is another matter entirely). Look for Rayner to spend most of his time on the wing or half back line in 2014, where he can run and receive from teammates and send the ball into the forward half.

Rayner hasn’t played any competitive football in nearly 4 years, so it’s likely that his skills and game sense will require some work, but those aspects should improve as he continues to train and play. Don’t expect senior football from Rayner this year, but don’t discount him from VFL plans either, as he could contribute straight away.

Makes fletch look like Mr Universe...

BUT the boy can run and run and run and run.. and then run some more.. will be truly exciting to have this guy on a wing if he can get the strength/skills up to AFL level..

Could be the 'line breaker' we need.. like Long/Lovett.. speed and agility through the middle..

Disposal isn't elite but it isn't cringeworthy either.. will be interesting to see how he goes this year..

iYPJfFK.png

highly doubt he will ever play

The odds are against him playing, but once he gets meat on his bonesand starts adding grunt to his endurance he may be a handy player. Possible that he takes Stants' role once he's gone

Stants probably has 5-6 years left.. Long time to wait around.
He could be moving forward more, we saw last year he's capable of helping out the forward line against PA. And if he's up to it earlier, having the pair of them on the field could just destroy teams in last quarters

Has anyone seen the kid train. Where do you think he is at as far a skill level. I had one mate attend a couple of trainings and reckons he is miles off the pace in a football skills sense. I of course realise he is a project player. Anyone else see him in action yet?

He could be moving forward more, we saw last year he's capable of helping out the forward line against PA. And if he's up to it earlier, having the pair of them on the field could just destroy teams in last quarters

Do midfielders ever actually "move forward"?

Do midfielders ever actually "move forward"?
When they get too slow/unfit to spend long periods in the midfield? Didn't Swan go forward a bit more last season? (although that might have had something to do with the pies needing a set shot that wasn't Cloke)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When they get too slow/unfit to spend long periods in the midfield? Didn't Swan go forward a bit more last season? (although that might have had something to do with the pies needing a set shot that wasn't Cloke)

Not especially.

Matthews, Roo, Hird off the top of my head

Matthews was from a totally different era, Hird played wherever he was needed from start to finish in his career, and I assume you're referring to Ricciuto there, who I'm willing to accept although I can't really remember it.

I'd also suggest that the only three you've come up with from the previous 35 years are among the top 20-50 players ever to play the game. Hardly a representative sample/

Matthews was from a totally different era, Hird played wherever he was needed from start to finish in his career, and I assume you're referring to Ricciuto there, who I'm willing to accept although I can't really remember it.

I'd also suggest that the only three you've come up with from the previous 35 years are among the top 20-50 players ever to play the game. Hardly a representative sample/

Not to mention Stanton and Hird have completely different play styles.

He did, but it didn't have anything to do with his conditioning as far as I'm aware. Hes a bit like Jobe in the sense they are solid midfield bodies that can take a mark up front... We were sending Jobe forward when our forward line was looking thin, not because he ran out of puff (and I believe Swan kicked 18.18 v Jobes 16.18)

Matthews, Roo, Hird off the top of my head

Hird didn't have a position, just played football, and Matthews was basically an undersized CHF for the most part.

The only real comparison with stants is swan, but it's always difficult to tell if his head is right and if he's in the doghouse with bucks.

have not played a game yet in first pre season back. no better time to write him off...

"I don't rate his chance of playing at all"
"The odds are against him playing"
"I had one mate attend a couple of trainings and reckons he is miles off the pace in a football skills sense."

Doesn't sound like we're writing him off nearly as much as saying it as it is.

If I'm not mistaken he was undrafted in 2009 despite a notable TAC cup career and has since then come back to AFL as a complete project player with elite running but not much else when it comes to skills, size or strength.

All of these can be taught and trained which is why hes a project but as with all project players the odds are against them playing more then a couple games.

Don't get me wrong - I'd love for him to follow in Blicavs steps... but this board seems to be high on every player on our list and any time someone isn't sippin' on the kool aid they get shot down.

Maybe I'll just go back to the generic reply to all young rookies on our list.

"I am so excited for X to be on our list. Love the way he goes about it, if we can just fix X he is going to be an absolute gun"

Anyone know what's happening with him? He ran in the sydney track classic last night (finished 6th in the 800m) so perhaps he's back to athletics training and given up on footy?

edit: Was reading results from 2013 rather than from yesterday (he didn't race at STC this year), sorry :)

Last edited:
Anyone know what's happening with him? He ran in the sydney track classic last night (finished 6th in the 800m) so perhaps he's back to athletics training and given up on footy?
One of the best on ground playing in VFL practice match yesterday.
He did both in one day?

Seems unlikely...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back