Delisted #45: Johnny Rayner

paul09

Team Captain
Aug 27, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Lol sorry - I was reading the results and must have clicked the wrong year. I was surprised to see his name there, makes sense though since it's last year.

paul09

Team Captain
Aug 27, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Well it's good to hear he seems to be still going well - I come from an athletics background, a few years older than him but starting hearing his name a lot and seeing him at big meets during his later teens. He was definitely a very talented athlete, getting to the level he did with athletics requires significant dedication to training so if he can apply that dedication to his footy training full time he could end up doing very well. Will be interesting to see how he goes :)

Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
The Giselle lives. 23 possessions and 11 handball receives in his debut game for the Bombers. not bad.

Bigger than he seemed.

Very impressive from what I saw on the replay.

Had no idea he was doing a Medical degree. Amazing.

Kakkle

Cancelled
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
Ladies & Gentleman,

Johnny Rayner.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Bump for the lowest rung player watch thread on BigFooty Essendon :D

Returned last week against the VFL Tigers in what was a very promising game.

25 possessions (7/9 effective kicks, 14/16 effective handballs) 9 handball receives, 6 marks.

Not bad numbers for a guy in his position. His kicking is still a work in progress, looks ungainly but does the job over 30m but would love to see him back himself and kick those 45m+ long bombs.

Still, glad Essendon has looked outside the box for alternative talent and gone for a guy that has shown he can play.

Discuss?

Bump for the lowest rung player watch thread on BigFooty Essendon :D

Returned last week against the VFL Tigers in what was a very promising game.

25 possessions (7/9 effective kicks, 14/16 effective handballs) 9 handball receives, 6 marks.

Not bad numbers for a guy in his position. His kicking is still a work in progress, looks ungainly but does the job over 30m but would love to see him back himself and kick those 45m+ long bombs.

Still, glad Essendon has looked outside the box for alternative talent and gone for a guy that has shown he can play.

Discuss?
He's a footballer, not an athlete

Kakkle

Cancelled
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
As in he's not all athleticism but has nfi where to go, like Daw. He has a footballer's instinct, just knows where to run.

Ah right.

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
He's was finding the running difficult during the preseason as he's not used to carrying that weight. Expect groin/hamstring/hip complaints for him until after his third preseason, but he's worth keeping on the list purely as a bunny during the preseason time trials. The fact that he's also working towards getting his medical degree means that his is an amazing young man that can only add to our group. Who knows, once he hangs up the boots he could be taking over from Doc Reid.

Jul 19, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Really excited to see how Johnny progresses in the next year or two. My generic alternative-talent interest has only been heightened with how well he seems to be coming along in the VFL (no doubt due to the aforementioned footy background). Was really expecting him to just be a winger or maybe flanker, but he has a bit of inside grunt from the little I've seen. :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

paul09

Team Captain
Aug 27, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Was a bit of a watershed yesterday.

He started the season in, what I assume is his preferred position, on a wing for a couple of weeks. He then got injured and returned to play a defensive role at half back for a month or so (as opposed to the more counter attacking role played by someone like Edwards)

Yesterday Rayner went into the centre square and was also tagging. I didn't notice him in the sense of having a breakout game but he was solid and looked at home deep in traffic.

There is no doubt that, as eth has been quoted above, Rayner is a footballer. He doesn't just run ridiculously well, he knows where and when to run and uses congestion to his advantage or at least doesn't get lost when tagging. He is also prepared to cop heavy hits.

I think he would be well and truly on the track that we would want him to be on.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
VFL Ave. 16 possessions (7 kicks, 9 handballs), 3 Marks, 3 tackles, 1 FF, 2 I50's, 1 R50 across his 14 games including 4 goals.

So, what do we think of our category B rookie? I was left quite impressed after some gams but was a steep learning curve in the second half of the year. Definitely see the potential in the former TAC Cup Team of The Year nominee.

Back