Past #45: Michael Wundke - delisted by the club at the end of 2009, has not yet cured cancer

Remove this Banner Ad

Lidge

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts RIP
Feb 28, 2003
Qantas Club Lounge
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
The Washington Generals
MichaelWundke_lrg.jpg

Fast Facts
Jumper Number: 45
Height: 191cm
Weight: 90kg
DOB: 23/06/1988
Recruited From: North Adelaide

Strong marking forward who played at full-forward who North Adelaide at SANFL senior level throughout 2007

Re: Michael Wundke

Say Lidge if your taking this lad mind if I take B-Ross of your hands?
Thats right....B-Ross.

I wasn't taking any of them - just adding the new players, removing the old ones (or moving them back to the main board) and fixing thread titles of players who have changed numbers.

Feel free to adopt Ben Ross

I wasn't taking any of them - just adding the new players, removing the old ones (or moving them back to the main board) and fixing thread titles of players who have changed numbers.

Feel free to adopt Ben Ross
I dont want to make this any harder than it is Lidge, I know you two had a connection once but it's over. He's with me now.
Cheers.

OK, here's what I learned about Michael, courtesy of half an hour on Google. If any of you have actually ever set eyes on him (clearly I haven't) then feel free to augment or correct.

Originally from Walkerville Football club, and a member of the 2006 SANFL U18 academy.
Picked up in the 2007 Rookie draft, from North Adelaide Roosters. Kicked 5 goals in the Roosters’ reserves 97 point shellacking of Norwood (one game report describes Wundke crumbing goals with ‘gay abandon’ including 3 goals in 3 minutes in the 3rd quarter). First game in the seniors came in round 9, 2007, in a win over Port Adelaide, where his impressive stats of 6 marks, 10 kicks and 2 goals saw him listed among the best players. In round 23, he won the Coca Cola Star Search Award, which hopefully is related to football and not singing. Between round 9 and round 23, Wundke had played 11 matches and kicked 26 goals (including 4 goals 1 from his 7 disposals in round 23 – 7 kicks and 7 marks).

I’m paraphrasing, but the view on him on a BigFooty drafts and trading thread in 2006 was that he has plenty of talent, but lacks athleticism due to body size (and had a maths teacher for a Dad who used to do his homework).

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249343

Michael has 513 friends on Facebook. On the Roosters website he lists his favourite AFL team as West Coast and the Western Bulldogs. Well, at least it wasn’t Port Adelaide I suppose. Asked to describe himself in three words, he says ‘caring, considerate, motivated’. I can only presume he is looking for a girlfriend. Christina Aguilera would be his dream date, and his preferred music is ‘anything that hits the spot and gets the hips moving’. He lists his favourite beverages as water and cordial, so between this and the hip moving music he is unlikely to be pepper sprayed at a Lionel Ritchie concert any time soon.

Re: 45. Michael Wundke

If it's any help I used to play with him back in the day and the easiest description I can think of is the traditional Full Forward who leads, takes strong marks and is an accurate shot at goal. Closest comparison would be Jason Dunstall for mine ...

Is also a funny bastarder FWIW

Thanks jo172. Your report is a little more encouraging than the summary Zebra gave from his recent visit to training (I'm paraphrasing, but I think fat and slow was the jist of it).

Anyway, anyone who actually sees this kid play, please contribute and help me out! (otherwise this thread will consist of Facebook updates and reports from occasional glimpses from ABC TV - unless he has a meteoric and unexpected rise into the seniors . . .)

Is he any relation to Steve Wundke?, who played for SA in state cricket a few years ago, he took a classic catch in a domestic one day game.

Is he any relation to Steve Wundke?, who played for SA in state cricket a few years ago, he took a classic catch in a domestic one day game.

I think that's his Dad

I saw him play against Frankston last week. He was very good on the lead and had good hands! Got a serve from the North Ballarat coaches in the first 5 minutes for not chasing, then was all over the field. He appears to run pretty well. His chase was good and his leads were good. Very good hands and looked about ready to dominate when he injured his hip and came off in the third quarter.
Don't know how good his opponents were, bu he is one that I'll be watching!
Lidge's post has him at 90 kilos. He's listed in the North Melbourne pre-season guide at 95. Either he has shed additional kilos, (which is possible as the club has been working with him on this), or it's the normal discrepancies that you get with these guides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 1, Nth Ballarat v Box Hill - Wundke kicked six goals, stand out performance by all accounts. Four goals in first quarter. Rave reviews from BF (jschwag!) and on the Roosters official webpage.

Complete gun, has been tearing up the SANFL under-age comps.

Seen him play many times, have had him kick the ball well over my head many times.

Great pick up :thumbsu: There's another Wundke coming through too.

How has this future Coleman Medallist played since bagging 6 on debut?

Allow me to sum up.

Got to Victoria, fat, slow, lazy.

Somewhere along the line transformed into a goal kicking machine.

Michael Wundke: North Ballarat v Tasmania.

Kicked 3 goals and by all reports supplied a real physical forward presence despite a shoulder scare.

Wundke had a big scare as it looked like he did a shoulder. Came back on in the second half and played well with the shoulder heavily strapped!

I really, really like Michael Wundke. He kicked 3 goals from FF/CHF and only got to play half the game. I was worried for him when he came off in the second quarter with an injured AC but he went back on in the second half with the shoulder strapped up. He is a massive unit !!! He kicked one of his goals when he ran through a Tassy player and the guy bounced off him like he had been hit by a bus. The Tassy player came back to remonstrate and Wundke got a free kick from it - a 50m set shot straight through the middle. I got a bit of dejavu - a North forward with a strapped up shoulder who can lead, hold a mark, bust packs apart and kick straight. I hope the brains trust can get the rookies onto our list.

Yes, my 15 year old daughter also likes Michael Wundke! He does look like a future star. Tough kid, too.

micheal has a great lead and great mark hope to see both these boys debuting soon

Very promising stuff. Keep up the good work, Mick.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back