Past #46: Ben Speight - drafted with #40 in the '08 RD - delisted at the end of 2013 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Arden Street

Team Captain
Jul 12, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
benspeight-1.jpg

Name: Ben Speight
Height: 183cm
Weight: 75kg
Recruited From: Norwood
Draft History: Pick 40 in the 2008 Rookie Draft

Ben Speight is a medium midfielder who reads the play well and is a smart user of the ball.

Represented South Australia at the NAB AFL Under 18 Championships in 2008 and averaged 12 possessions a game throughout the tournament.

Played the last four games of the season for Norwood in the SANFL and has great skills by hand and foot.

benspeight-1.jpg

Name: Ben Speight
Height: 183cm
Weight: 75kg
Recruited From: Norwood
Draft History: Pick 40 in the 2008 Rookie Draft

Ben Speight is a medium midfielder who reads the play well and is a smart user of the ball.

Represented South Australia at the NAB AFL Under 18 Championships in 2008 and averaged 12 possessions a game throughout the tournament.

Played the last four games of the season for Norwood in the SANFL and has great skills by hand and foot.

You sure we drafted him?

saw Speighty play last year when we ducked over to Adelaide for our footy trip. Norwood got licked, but he was pretty good, has some wheels and a work ethic, so he got a bit of the ball and was in the best few for Norwood.

Played his first game for the Werribee reserves against Williamstown on Sunday.

Didn't see too much of the game, but checking the results it does say that he kicked a goal.

Look forward to seeing how he goes against Box Hill on Sunday.

hows this kid going.
i rated him highly pre draft, was surprised he had to wait until rookie draft to get picked up. when do you think he will play?

Playing pretty well in the VFL reserves. Should push his way into the VFL seniors soon the way he's going. Very little chance he will play AFL this year.

From some footage he made Wright look like a tank!

He'll need to develop a good fitness base and put on some bulk before we really see him play. Same as any other rookie.

From some footage he made Wright look like a tank!

He'll need to develop a good fitness base and put on some bulk before we really see him play. Same as any other rookie.

I don't know what footage you saw but he is shorter but bigger built than Wright.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone compared him to Shane Clayton...

That was me. A smart ass comment that was my attempt to précis my impression of Speight's game against Box Hill reserves 2 weeks ago. What I was trying to get across was that when he wasn't in a position to get the easy kick or handball he showed no interest or desire to get involved in the game. Was dragged at least once for this sin and was the subject of much comment from the coach’s box. (I was standing directly underneath). Basically along the lines of WTF does Speight think he is doing now?

However, I note from Ben Carbonara's comments/stats on Werribee reserves game last week that he was named in bests and even had 2 tackles. His intensity level must have gone up in that game. He is also recovering from some sort of injury I believe so given all that I am hoping the Shane Clayton tag was a case of premature elaboration.

There is no doubt the guy has some go and toe about him. He is a good kick of the ball as well. He is tiny though. As someone said elsewhere, makes Wright look like Adonis. Whether he has the exceptional skill level and ability that a small outside midfielder needs at AFL level can probably only be determined after another AFL pre-season.

On a completely different note it was very interesting to see Simon Atkins (The Axe) - who was acting as assistant coach - climb the quite tall scaffolding (for the ABC cameras I assume) directly behind the goals and try and direct his forwards where to move. Given there was only mother's day refugees like me there his voice was able to boom out across that part of the ground. Nathan O'Keefe was one his main subjects of attention as he was basically CHF. The objective was to free up the corridor in front of him and keep from creeping closer to the action so he could lead hard into that corridor space when the time came.

At one stage, Speight run hard to take a mark 45m from goal on a reasonably tight angle. There was a swirly Box Hill breeze to contend with. Every Werribee fwd was making leads and shouting kick it to me, kick it to me at Speight. The Axe's voice boomed out across the ground. "Let him kick the goal". I am sure Speight had no intention of doing anything but having a shot. He calmly went back and kicked a beautiful goal. Could Shane Clayton have done that?

Has been in the bests 3 out of the 5 weeks he's been plaing in the reserves surely he'll get a gig in the league side...... He was playing League for Norwood last year and the SANFL is probably a a touch higher level then the VFL

I rate this player highly, has he done enough in the VFL this year to get a gig on the senior list.

Not gonna pump him up too much but he does remind me a little bit of Jason Akermanis.

Don't think we will have the space to elevate them, with Garlett & Obst ahead of them. They can stay on the rookie list for another year. One rookie will be eligible to play Round1 anyway and another from round 11

Who says that Obst will be elevated?

No one, but he can't be re rookied whilst the other two can. Given the circumstances regarding rookies next year (Simpson gone so an extra rookie pick & a rookie nominated to play from rd 1) elevations will be at a minumum, so the only two guys I think are a chance are Garlett and Obst

He certainly does look the goods, had another good performance with 20 disposals and 2 goals.

Looks like a good forward prospect for the future, his last couple of senior VFL games have impressed me greatly.

I am not sure what his status is, if he can be rookied next year or not. I think clubs in general will try and keep as many rookies on the rookie list as possible given the talent is going to be fairly dry this year.

I think those that can't be re-rookied will take priority in terms of elevation. I am sure if there is a long-term injury next year someone who is held back will get the elevation, the way Smith and Tarrant are going with injuries in recent years it is probably not the end of the world to be on the rookie list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back