Retired #966: Lin "sanity" Jong

Remove this Banner Ad

681171-lin-jong.jpg

Pic: Jon Hargest, Herald Sun

Recruited: Pick 9 2011 Rookie Draft
Height/Weight: 190cm/85kg
DOB: 04-06-1993

There are many similarities with New York Knicks point guard sensation Jeremy Lin and our humble Lin Jong drafted in the 2011 rookie draft. Both share a Taiwanese background, a first of which in both sports, both are in the 190-191cm range and both want get more of their fellow countrymen in their respective sports, in Jeremy's case it is breaking the racial profiling involved in NBA drafting and in young Jong's case he wants to inspire junior Asian footballers dreaming of cracking the AFL.

Studying at Brentwood Secondary College, Jong was more of a basketballer that only picked up the football when he was 15 after being persuaded by friends, since then he has improved drastically to get drafted and his scope for growth remains huge. "Lin's acceleration and development has been phenomenal," said Greg Doyle, coach of the Oakleigh Chargers.

Lin played 14 Tac Cup games in 2011 and was recorded in the bests 8 times. He averaged 14 disposals, 3 clearances, 3 inside 50s and 3 tackles per match. BF poster OldLion mentioned Lin was very impressive in the Tac Cup GF, "Saw him in TAC GF and was very impressed. He created mayhem as he is hard at it and really tricky to match up esp. when he went forward. Nearly won the game. Was amazed that he wasn't drafted on the strength of his performance ( Tom Rockliff is an example ) and - it's a big call - reminded me of Goodes when he played TAC."

Lin played a game in the 2011 NAB cup against AFL level opponents in Norf who fielded a full strength side, was subbed on late in the game and gathered 11 disposals in a good effort, his kicking obviously needs improvement however.

Could Lin one day be promoted out of nowhere and go on to make a significant impact and win multiple games in a row off his boot like his NBA counterpart? Linsanity might be trademarked but what a tale would that be :D.

Random Facts/Quotes:

Oakleigh chargers has an extended list compared to some rivals, that is why they decided to take a punt on Lin. If they only had 40, Greg Doyle said they would not have had him

“If you told me at the start of the year he’d be drafted I’d have thought you were mad, Lin would have been a thousand-to-one chance,” Doyle said.

Collingwood and Brisbane recruiters were interested

Born in Australia, has four older sisters and his parents are from Taiwan and East Timor.

automatically i should be hating Jong, since i went to Wheelershill Secondary College (rival school)
but glad he got drafted and hope he does well in the VFL this year.

My Year 7 cricket team played against Brentwood, Wheelers Hill and Wellington(we didn't play them though). We were South Oakleigh.

Here is Lin Jong's appearance on TAC Cup Future Stars today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This kid is seriously impressive, he looks very comfortable now and is so explosive around the packs, looks good with ball in hand and can kick a goal too. I'm going to be looking out for him in next year he should feature regularly in the AFL next season, i'm predicting a massive breakout season for this guy if all goes well.

Linsanity in the western suburbs! Let's hope so CC - some of us on here have been fans for quite a while and think he's got what it takes to be a good to very good AFL player.

I doubted Jong at the start of the year.

I was an idiot to do so. He has explosiveness, worked a lot on his decision making, and is tough as anyone. He has a place and just showed why he was promoted and will get a few games next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him become best 22

How about his ability to get first hands on the ball in the center and then fire off handballs to people on the outside. He is so clean with his hands.

Not even the mention the dangerfield like bursts from taps from Cordy and Campbell today. Platter stuff there for our forwards.

I wouldn't say sneaky suspicion because he is getting the kudos now but a suspicion he will be huge in the coming years. have a feeling he will explode withing 2 years, and not forgetting what age he started also.

I doubted Jong at the start of the year.

I was an idiot to do so. He has explosiveness, worked a lot on his decision making, and is tough as anyone. He has a place and just showed why he was promoted and will get a few games next year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him become best 22
You were right to doubt him , I didn't think he had what it takes either and he has had an impressive last few weeks that has saved him .. Still has to perform at the elite level though which I hope he does

You were right to doubt him , I didn't think he had what it takes either and he has had an impressive last few weeks that has saved him .. Still has to perform at the elite level though which I hope he does
I wouldn't say the last few weeks have saved him. I think they've just propelled him from a player with potential to a player that has harnessed his athleticism and size and is ready take on senior football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back