Senior 46. Mark Blicavs (2012-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 2011 Rookie Draft selection - Mark Blicavs

Runners tend to make terrible footballers, the basketball line through the parents give me some hope he can buck the trend ;)

I was pretty sceptical with Bathie and had very low expectations when I saw him play but he was pretty impressive whenever I saw the VFL. I'm not 100% on whether that is due to the low expectation base or not yet but why not roll the dice again.

If it comes true PO needs to make an apology in so much of a smart us tune as the original response to the suggestion.

What? I was merely asking the bloke whether the guy he was alluding to was a runner, or whether I was thinking of the wrong guy. Next time I need to make that clearer so you don't completely misinterpret it. And I made the point that I think it's a good punt, given the progress Bathie has made this year. No complaints here from me.

Think you guys may have been taken in by a troll. Just sayin........

Not only is he a troll, his own board cant stand him.

Collingwood supporters have me amused on two fronts this pre season.

The first one is Jarrod Witts. The guy is Dawson Simpson minus 4 years development but because he is 208cm or whatever he is going to be a plug and play Sandilands. If Jolly's body continues to deteriorate they will be in big trouble and would be wishing they had picked up the Big O instead of bagging us for doing so.

The second one is about their salary cap. They have some deluded belief that all these players they have struggled to fit under the cap post season - Davis, Toovey, Macaffer etc - is just a ruse and that they have a spare 500k just sitting there for a free agency raid on a rival club next year. I've even seen "respected" Collingwood posters push this one which amazes me.

Hill - 179cm
Bilcavs - 198 cm

Same type? The fact one is a middle distance runner who may be able to kick a football, and one is a footballer who happens to be able to run?

You can't honestly use that comparison to support the above statement, surely.

And please, suggesting we payed overs for Smith @ 16 and you paid unders for Murdoch at 48 the previous year? One has yet to play, the other played 16 games. That's a bit rich.

Having fun reading our board mate? Bit quiet over on the hawks board is it?

Love when we get a player of the same type that the Hawks get but where we pay under's for our players, the Hawks pay overs.

Hawks - Smith @ 16
Cats - Murdoch @ 48

Hawks - Hill @ 33
Cats - Blicavs @ Rookie Listed outside the list

Mr Wells you sir are a certified genius

How did Hawthorn pay overs for Smith? He looked every bit a first rounder when I saw him last year in the finals. There is no comparison between these selections at all. C'mon on people lets not get too biased now.

Isaac Smith is the most overrated pile of steaming poo on this board.
A first round pick in last year's draft was a massive reach.

The comparison is stupid but Smith is overrated.

Any one that disagrees pull the qualifying final out of the victory pack and count how many of his kicks find a hawthorn player.

The comparison is stupid but Smith is overrated.

Any one that disagrees pull the qualifying final out of the victory pack and count how many of his kicks find a hawthorn player.

Spot on.

I noticed that on the day. The commentators were salivating over his possession count but missed the fact that nearly every kick missed the target. Missed a crucial easy set shot at the start of the fourth too.

Smith has made a good start but what I saw that game suggests he has lots to do yet (under pressure).

Our boy has only just got a jumper - he is well behind Smith at the moment!

So, does he have any skills or can only run?

haven't even played footy since 14. And is training for the 2012 olympics AND football. Don't think he'll do that well.

haven't even played footy since 14. And is training for the 2012 olympics AND football. Don't think he'll do that well.

The jury's still out for me. So the guy hasn't played football for six years. I seem to recall someone else currently on our rookie list who is a similar size to Blicavs and was playing college basketball in the States for about the same period of time. The guy goes by the name Ryan Bathie. He seems to have been able to adapt to playing footy after a long lay-off pretty well.

If Blicavs can play to a similar standard that Bathie played at this year, we'll be laughing. If not, it doesn't matter as it hasn't cost us that much to rookie list him. Well worth taking a punt on him if you ask me. After all, the last two guys I know of who played AFL and were 6'6 and could run like the wind were Buddy and Richo. If Blicavs turns out to be half as good as those two, it'll be a punt well taken.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

its going to take a long time, although i havnt actually seen bathie play, hearing all the good reports here makes me excited, yet he is still some way off of actually playing. blicavs will take even longer as he has to put more weight on and is coming from a pure sport background as apposed to bathie who is a team sport player so there would be a higher transfer of skill in his instance.

i think the most important thing to remember here is that we have absolutely nothing to lose here so its a win win situation. however i for one am very excited to see the progress of mark and i'm hopeful he might just turn out to be a decent player. at that height and with that tank, if he can get his head around the game at the elite level he could be a real weapon

I have a massive problem with this selection. The guy hasn't played since he was 14 he has no level of experience in football. He wants to make the olympic squad? He may have natural talent in 3km running but that isnt football.

You have young men who have devoted their whole life to AFL football, who have experience and talent in the actual game and those guys were overlooked because some guy who hasnt played in years can run a quick 3km.

I think this is a foolish decision and the rookie selection should have gone to someone who actually deserved it.

I have a massive problem with this selection. The guy hasn't played since he was 14 he has no level of experience in football. He wants to make the olympic squad? He may have natural talent in 3km running but that isnt football.

You have young men who have devoted their whole life to AFL football, who have experience and talent in the actual game and those guys were overlooked because some guy who hasnt played in years can run a quick 3km.

I think this is a foolish decision and the rookie selection should have gone to someone who actually deserved it.
Problem is it couldn't have, as his position is outside the standard rookie list as he was a "player not registered or played for three years inclusion on rookie list". Hence we have one extra player on our total list in 2012 than we did in 2011.

As with Bathie, you'd reckon they'd have some idea that the kid can play.
Bathie will most probably be promoted to the senior list for the Menzel injury compensation.

He'd have to have pretty impressive potential for them to even shell out a rookies wage given the fact that it's still a fair amount of money for nothing, if you carn't mark or kick.

I mean what's he now entitled to given the jump up in player payments, does anyone know what he'd be on?

Obviously if he's got no talent, it is a foolish exercise!

He's not taking any other players spot on the list,as SJ pointed out,so if it works then great and if he never turns up due to athletic commitments then it's no big loss.

There's better things to get upset about in the world than this,but thanks for your concern.

We should just take this for what it is , a long,long shot selection that has a chance of success because of his underlying athletic ability. Our sides structure will always come from the main stream and due to our high finishes we do have to think outside the square.
Is he more of a risk than some Irish recruits or for that matter some indigenous kids? Risk and Reward are bedfellows and if our risk is only financial its a reasonable project.

We should just take this for what it is , a long,long shot selection that has a chance of success because of his underlying athletic ability. Our sides structure will always come from the main stream and due to our high finishes we do have to think outside the square.
Is he more of a risk than some Irish recruits or for that matter some indigenous kids? Risk and Reward are bedfellows and if our risk is only financial its a reasonable project.

Believe me if he can play and he's got the ticker, at 198cm, he'll run the ground like a giant midfielder the likes we've never seen.

That's in a Blicavs' perfect world I know, the ingredients are there, but is the footy talent. Guess we'll have to wait and see on this one. :cool:

Has to be Steve Wells most radical selection ever, but there is a big upside.

Bathie will most probably be promoted to the senior list for the Menzel injury compensation.

He'd have to have pretty impressive potential for them to even shell out a rookies wage given the fact that it's still a fair amount of money for nothing, if you carn't mark or kick.

I mean what's he now entitled to given the jump up in player payments, does anyone know what he'd be on?

Read somewhere that he was a more than handy jnr footballer perhaps winning or coming second in the league best & fairest before he gave it away. Well worth the punt and these types of athletes are only going to continue to get rookied if they show any promise. The rules are there to encourage it.

I played with him for the 3 or 4 years that he played. He's one of those guys that is good at everything they put their hand too. Just a natural talent.

He won the B&F and came second in the League B&F in his first season - narrowly losing to Mitch Banner.

He'll be 100% committed and is very disciplined. Hope it works out for Geelong and Mark.

Ahh here it is. Good post just before a troll post so this one got missed. Cheers Beev, shows the kid has some ability to work with.

Read somewhere that he was a more than handy jnr footballer perhaps winning or coming second in the league best & fairest before he gave it away. Well worth the punt and these types of athletes are only going to continue to get rookied if they show any promise. The rules are there to encourage it.

Not surprised! you don't become a Geelong player because you're 198cm and can run, takes a bit more to interest Wells and Balme its only to obvious.
If he can emulate Bathie's first year, hats off to Wells.

He was good in 2011 but that's a big call, several other rookies also in good form and the NAB Cup to go, he's a fair way off that yet.

That said you'd suspect with Blicavs they would have done their own testing on him prior to his signing, both on his skills but also interviewing to get to know him as a person etc. That combined with his athletic potential is worth a punt, as SJ points out he's an extra on the list so it's basically a free hit, worth the punt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back