Retired 46. Matthew Wright Announces Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes but again he plays a different role to Danger.

Carlton in recent years have lost a number of small forwards - Betts, Garlett, Yarran.
So they need to replace - Tutt can find it and has toe but uses it poorly; Lamb was picked up; Sumner maybe also plays that role; see how he goes; Smith is raw.
So Wright makes sense if his role is a small forward.
Puts pressure for spots.

Sumner will be a jet.

Rumour has it he's a jumbo...
As long as he's not a Fokker.

300px-PH-KZV_KLM_Fokker_70.JPG

We have Tuohy, Curnow, Everitt, Gibbs and Kreuzer born in '89 and then Jones, Tutt, Whiley, Casboult born in the following three years between '90-'92.

We need to replenish our senior stocks if we're to have a balanced list come time of our next charge, as this age group could certainly be a part of it. Right now, we're looking at starting 2020 with Gibbs, Kreuzer and then a four year age gap to our next group of players if we don't address it.

I expect we will be targeting a few more in that '89-'92 bracket over the next few years to go with Wright.

Don't see much point in picking this guy up at all.

26, short, delisted

Can't see him ever playing in a final for our seniors.

Tutt 2.0
We have recruited some experienced players to protect the bodies of our more recent draftees (including those to be recruited in the next 2 years). No doubt the club is also hoping to take some pressure off Cripps with the recruitment of mids who have had a number of years in the system.

IB4 the whingers.

Part of this process is to make the whole list stronger and have leaders at all levels. He may not play a senior game but we can't afford the NB's to look like the rabble it did a few times last year.

He'll play more AFL than VFL for us

This is a good pick up. We need some experience in the team so that the young guys aren't getting bashed around every week and having their confidence shattered.

Wright will definitely play an important role as that small forward who can rotate through the middle. A definite upgrade on hardness on a guy like Tutt. Can see him kicking 20 or so goals for us in 2016.

He will be in your best 22 next year. if he gets some of his 2012 form back you would have done well in picking him up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because SOS got his chance in trading in 6 of his GWS boys.
Now it's Neil Craig's turn with Kerridge and Wright.

Method in the madness; somewhere. ;)

edit: sorry to spoil a good rant, Azul, but Kerridge arrived after Craig left Adelaide! :oops:
When has things like facts stopped a good rant before.

A lot of Adelaide Crows people being quite condescending towards Carlton (especially in the Adelaide media) at the moment. I obviously have a Carlton bias as most of us do, but I see the Crows as a bottom six side next year when I look at their list. They seem to be only marginally ahead of Carlton at best.

I feel Adelaide will fare a lot better than some of the teams touted as top eight potential, or even some that finished in the eight this year.

Everyone has their turn at having a laugh but if you haven't got a Premiership Cup behind those laughs.......then you haven't much at all.

New coach obviously makes it hard to know what to expect. I feel that the loss of Dangerfield will be huge as they probably don't have the depth of talent in the midfield that other top 8-12 sides do. In my opinion a lot rides on how Brad Crouch returns from injury and whether Scott Thompson can continue playing good footy as a 33 year old. A midfield of Sloane, Matt crouch, Douglas, Knight, Atkins, Gore, Lyons and Grigg doesn't really fill me with confidence as a top 8 contender

I know this comment will frustrate many, but Matthew Wright was ranked around the top 150 players in the comp last year. His recruitment means we add another player to the list that is capable of quality output. The more of these types we have playing, the more competitive we will be.

It's more about the forward line:

Milera Jenkins Menzel
Betts Walker Cameron

If you offered me either of these two starting 22 teams fully fit and asked which one I would like to coach, I would struggle to split them.

Laird Talia Lever
Simpson Jamison Weitering

Smith Hartigan Henderson
Plowman Rowe Tuohy

Seedsman Sloane McKay
Boekhorst Graham Docherty

Lynch Jenkins Menzel
Walker Casboult Gibbs

Betts Walker Cameron
Thomas Jacksh Everitt

Jacobs Thompson B.Crouch
Kruezer Cripps Murphy

Douglas Crouch Brown Knight
Kerridge Whiley Byrne Buckley

Kerridge and Wright will be decent players, maybe not stars, but decent, hard working types, who add depth / experience, and who knows if they can perform the role Bolts give them they could be more than just handy.
Plenty of players have thrived at new clubs.
Good thing is, from what I can gather these two players are decent, that is not terribly flawed.
Give me lots of decent/good players, depth, hard workers, and I'll show you a good team.

I kinda get the feel that they may emulate one H Scotland. If we could get one player to be half as good a Scooter was when coming over then bonus, but for me I think both of these blokes can do it and then some if they want. There is another who I get the same feeling for but its escapes me for now.

Wright: 'I couldn't be happier'

“I met with the Carlton football Club a few weeks ago and they were pretty keen for me to come on board and I felt the same,” Wright said.

“We needed a few situations to play out and fortunately enough I landed there today and I couldn’t be happier.”

Wright: 'I couldn't be happier'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back