Retired 46. Matthew Wright Announces Retirement

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Matt

I find it a little surprising for why we targeted Wright but if it was explained to me, I'm sure I'd understand.

All the best Matthew :thumbsu:
Maybe SOS thought he better get another bloke in the side that can kick a goal that isn't over 195cm
I'm loving the thinking we need a player like him to replace the likes of Bell & Robinson (hard at it mids) and he is only 25yo so he could end up being a great pick up for no outlay really!

the thing is people probably thought that's why we got Lamb or Sumner so why the need for Wright
Maybe because the rest we drafted besides Cunningham are all tall monsters and SOS must have thought he needed some more team balance.
And an extra experienced mid that kicks goals is a good thing don't you think?

I thought his 2014 was pretty consistent and similar to his 2012 output.. Had my eye on him for fantasy footy reasons..
From what I've seen and read yes 2015 was inconsistent but I think he's capable of better when given the chance (and freedom), I'd be happy to see him on a forward flank or bench for rd 1..

I'm guessing you thought Hawthorn were crazy when they picked up Puopolo a few years ago then ???

Puopolo was 22 when drafted and had never been tried at AFL level. Wrights 26 and been delisted.

I understand people are really pumped about him making it harder for fringe players to get a game/help the twos be competitive. But it's just a meh pick for me. I'd rather keep Holman or give a 20-22 year old from the VFL/WAFL/SANFL a look in.

I love this pick up by us. Wrights biggest attribute that he brings to us is attitude. Desperate to continue his career, gets the most out of himself which will be invaluable lessons to the kids coming through.
I hope we allow him to expand his role in a leadership sense. From outside the Carlton bubble so brings a different thinking. An impressive human off the field, I just hope he is in our list for a while to come.

Maybe because the rest we drafted besides Cunningham are all tall monsters and SOS must have thought he needed some more team balance.
And an extra experienced mid that kicks goals is a good thing don't you think?
He will be better then a lot on our list but I don't see the point of having him play for a few years while we know we won't be competing. I think the reasoning is that if Lamb, Sumner and Armfield don't show anything this year they will be delisted so there would be a lack of depth in that position and ATM Wright is ahead of all of them.

Wrights ball winning ability in close through the mid is very underrated. He will get a lot more minutes through there for us.
I don't think he will impact them that much. Just another player to the midfield rotation with Murphy, Gibbs, Cripps, Thomas, Graham, E.Curnow and Kerridge.
Quite a competitive midfield I reckon.

He will be better then a lot on our list but I don't see the point of having him play for a few years while we know we won't be competing. I think the reasoning is that if Lamb, Sumner and Armfield don't show anything this year they will be delisted so there would be a lack of depth in that position and ATM Wright is ahead of all of them.
I think the objective is to always be competitive regardless of whether we are rebuilding or employing a youth policy.

Wright gives us a proven performer, who also fills a need, and at 25 y.o. has improvement left in him if all goes well.

He is a much better player than Armfield, Lamb, Sumner, Thomas, Walker or Tutt at this stage, so pretty much walks into our starting 18 as a defensive forward.

His level of out put since 2012 has been similar to Everitt and I know we could do with a couple more Everitt's in the side.

He also cost us nothing but a list spot, which in my opinion means that this is not a good pickup, but a great pickup

Puopolo was 22 when drafted and had never been tried at AFL level. Wrights 26 and been delisted.

I understand people are really pumped about him making it harder for fringe players to get a game/help the twos be competitive. But it's just a meh pick for me. I'd rather keep Holman or give a 20-22 year old from the VFL/WAFL/SANFL a look in.

You can't just have 18 x 18-22yo run out on the park each week you will get smashed (ala GC & Giants first couple of years) and 25-26yo ain't old, a males athletes body doesn't hit it's physical peak until they are 27-28yo so I don't understand why you only want kids in the side?
I know we are gonna see some pain the next couple of years but if SOS thinks Wright is gonna be an asset to the club I can understand why :thumbsu:

You can't just have 18 x 18-22yo run out on the park each week you will get smashed (ala GC & Giants first couple of years) and 25-26yo ain't old, a males athletes body doesn't hit it's physical peak until they are 27-28yo so I don't understand why you only want kids in the side?
I know we are gonna see some pain the next couple of years but if SOS thinks Wright is gonna be an asset to the club I can understand why :thumbsu:

1-After the draft we have the 7th oldest list in the comp, so we don't only have kids in the side
2-why not just keep one of the delisted guys like ellard, surely it'd better for moral if the hardest worker at the club get another year , or if we want some A grade leadership why not grab adcock for a year

I've got nothing against wright, I think he's pretty handy, but his skill set is not unique and at 26, 178cm And delisted from a midrange club I just don't see what the point is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1-After the draft we have the 7th oldest list in the comp, so we don't only have kids in the side
2-why not just keep one of the delisted guys like ellard, surely it'd better for moral if the hardest worker at the club get another year , or if we want some A grade leadership why not grab adcock for a year

I've got nothing against wright, I think he's pretty handy, but his skill set is not unique and at 26, 178cm And delisted from a midrange club I just don't see what the point is.
While we haven't always been the bastion of great decision making, I'll back SOS and the club on this one.

Good pick up. Mature body. Hard at it. Hungry (after being delisted). Will play a lot of games for us because of his pressure and ability to kick a goal. He and kerridge are great pick ups...goal kickers who can play on the ball.

Yeah I'm sure the experts know what they are doing, lamb and sumner wouldn't be too happy with the selection.

Wright is an upgrade on Ellard, whose output is no longer of AFL standard.

Adcock is very much an outside player & would not provide the level of cover that our younger mids need.

I think the objective is to always be competitive regardless of whether we are rebuilding or employing a youth policy.

Wright gives us a proven performer, who also fills a need, and at 25 y.o. has improvement left in him if all goes well.

He is a much better player than Armfield, Lamb, Sumner, Thomas, Walker or Tutt at this stage, so pretty much walks into our starting 18 as a defensive forward.

His level of out put since 2012 has been similar to Everitt and I know we could do with a couple more Everitt's in the side.

He also cost us nothing but a list spot, which in my opinion means that this is not a good pickup, but a great pickup
26 in two weeks.
I agree he is better then those players you mentioned beside Thomas. I think now it's obvious that the only reason we took Lamb and Sumner was because taking their salary on was the only way to get Plowman.

26 in two weeks.
I agree he is better then those players you mentioned beside Thomas. I think now it's obvious that the only reason we took Lamb and Sumner was because taking their salary on was the only way to get Plowman.

Was sumner contracted?

I know lamb signed a 3 year 1.5mil deal so we'd be taking on the last year of that.

26 in two weeks.
I don't see how that is 'obvious' at all.

Lamb and Sumner are two players who improve our list and are every chance to work their way into our best 22 at some stage. There's a reason a lot of people's best 22 prediction have Lamb named in a HFF/Forward pocket spot or on the bench. He is a decent player, young, fills a need and is versatile. Might not have the same goal sense but is a more well-rounded player than Garlett. Sumner is no clogger when fit either.

They may or may not form a part of the next Carlton team that goes deep into finals, but their trades are more than understandable - they are good ones.

I don't see how that is 'obvious' at all.

Lamb and Sumner are two players who improve our list and are every chance to work their way into our best 22 at some stage. There's a reason a lot of people's best 22 prediction have Lamb named in a HFF/Forward pocket spot or on the bench. He is a decent player, young, fills a need and is versatile. Might not have the same goal sense but is a more well-rounded player than Garlett. Sumner is no clogger when fit either.

They may or may not form a part of the next Carlton team that goes deep into finals, but their trades are more than understandable - they are good ones.
I was going to say the same thing.

Why is it obvious? Have they done something at training to make it clear that they're no good duds that are just taking up space? It's a pretty fair effort to achieve that in just a few weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back